10+ handguard challenged - Acerbis Supermoto Installation - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
10+ handguard challenged - Acerbis Supermoto don't fit

The deal I got on some supermoto handguards isn't turning out to be so good. The included universal (middle) bar clamps lack the hinge seen on barkbusters/zeta handguard kits.

Zeta clamp with hinge:

If installed over the stock bar-end, there isn't enough clearance for the brake to function around the 90 degree bend. Without it, the stock brake levers are too long and contact around the outside.

So as far as I can tell if I want to get these installed I'd have to buy the Zeta replacement clamps, these have a long length for 40$. Then some sort of spacer at the end of the handlebar to make clearance for the stock levers. Or maybe some new levers.

Any advice?

Last edited by abandonliberty; 05-10-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abandonliberty View Post
If installed over the stock bar-end, there isn't enough clearance for the brake to function around the 90 degree bend. Without it, the stock brake levers are too long and contact around the outside.

So as far as I can tell if I want to get these installed I'd have to buy the Zeta replacement clamps, these have a long length for 40$. Then some sort of spacer at the end of the handlebar to make clearance for the stock levers. Or maybe some new levers.

Any advice?
Keep at it. You will get it.

How about cutting the stock bar ends in half at the rubber bushing. That would center the hand guard bar over the lever.

How about using a spacer and a longer bolt to bring the hand guard bar further out from the clamp. It looks as though cutting the bar ends will bring the hand guard bar inward, thus creating more space. you might not need the spacer and longer bolt.

Again, you will get it working.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 07:33 AM

You might try mounting them with the bar weight on the outside and the hand guard bar sandwiched between the weight and the handlebar. Might give you the room you need.

I have always found the "Universal Fit" REALLY means "One Size Fits None"! without a lot of work.

Keep at it you'll get there.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
Keep at it. You will get it.

How about cutting the stock bar ends in half at the rubber bushing. That would center the hand guard bar over the lever.

How about using a spacer and a longer bolt to bring the hand guard bar further out from the clamp. It looks as though cutting the bar ends will bring the hand guard bar inward, thus creating more space. you might not need the spacer and longer bolt.

Again, you will get it working.
Thanks guys, you motivated me to give it another shot.

Good idea, I think cutting the stock bar ends would work for lever clearance. Didn't think of it because I was hoping to avoid affecting the stock pieces.

I went to try out how it would work with bar ends of the correct length.

The clutch side almost works! The stock bar clamp pulls it into a bit of a weird angle.

And the mount of the clamp to the bar isn't flush, though I may be able to force it:

The brake lever clears it with the spacer, but the master cylinder forces it below the level of the lever:

Stock clamp wouldn't sit anywhere near here.

The bar clamp is really designed for a straight bar. They claim on the packaging to have modified the design to fit around large master cylinders - unsuccessfully apparently.

I'm stumped again. It seems that even with better clamps the installation would be dirty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode