two toned hugger from pyramid - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
two toned hugger from pyramid

I'm looking for a nice rear hugger..found this nice one from Pyramid:

http://www.visordown.com/product-fea...sys/18518.html

my question is: will I have to modify it because of the Speedy lowering link?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yes, I have the pyramid and speedy's link. I got the ABS link, so there would be room to attach that tab on the left in your picture. I did have to do quite a bit of trimming, but I got it to look good.

One thing to note, if the suspension is set too soft, the undertail will contact with the hugger. I found that out the hard way, breaking the hugger. Fixed it with some glue and zip ties. The pyramid looks nice, the lines match with the front fender. However, it's a two-piece design, so it may come unglued. The plastic is kinda cheesy too. I like the look, but not sure I'd purchase again.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
104 Pounds !!!!

75.00 USD here in Thailand for 1 piece

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I've had two pyramid huggers break where the right front fastener attaches. The first one was replaced under warranty. If you buy one, reinforce that area with metal.
Mine has no signs of touching the underside of the seat area.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 10:56 AM

I bought a used one and the front right tab is a weak link in there design breaks very easily. As I found out on my way home I will be reinforcing it with fiberglass on the under side.
twowheeladdict do you have a picture of your metal reinforcement
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Hmmm... I just bought a Pyramid Hugger in Black.
Now hearing about some issues as above...

It is 2 piece, but is bolted together with 3 bolts and nyloc nuts - unlike the picture above.

I have already found a manufacturing issue - the 2 parts when together and bolted create a bulge in the the lip on the inside of the mated surfaces that can trap crap thrown by the rear wheel. I'm going to try and see if I can smooth this area out, and maybe put some 3M VHS Double sided tape there to seal it and close the gap.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Hmmm... I just bought a Pyramid Hugger in Black.
Now hearing about some issues as above...

It is 2 piece, but is bolted together with 3 bolts and nyloc nuts - unlike the picture above.

I have already found a manufacturing issue - the 2 parts when together and bolted create a bulge in the the lip on the inside of the mated surfaces that can trap crap thrown by the rear wheel. I'm going to try and see if I can smooth this area out, and maybe put some 3M VHS Double sided tape there to seal it and close the gap.
I noticed a bit of a gap on mine, too. Filled it in with RTV, I think, or some other flexible silcone stuff. Mine wasn't bolted together, just glued. Maybe they've updated it.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Mine has no signs of touching the underside of the seat area.
Mine didn't look like it would touch, distance seemed adequate. But, I had my shock set all the way soft (1), so it compressed enough to hit. Adding preload back up to around 4 solved it.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 11:31 AM

I really like my Skidmarx hugger...built really well, looks really good, price was reasonable. I picked up a nail in my tire that ended up whacking the hugger a bunch of times. The nail bent, the hugger is literally without a scratch.

onewizard likes this.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunkee View Post
My replacement just broke. I will be repairing it when I stay at home more than a couple days.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
I really like my Skidmarx hugger...built really well, looks really good, price was reasonable. I picked up a nail in my tire that ended up whacking the hugger a bunch of times. The nail bent, the hugger is literally without a scratch.

cool hugger..what year is your bike? their site only lists generation 1 bikes.. in the picture it looks like on the right side the hugger fits over the shock mount..is this true?

Last edited by chadams66; 05-08-2014 at 08:56 PM.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 10:15 AM

It's a 2011. I don't think it sits over the shock mount, might just be the angle.

2011 Imperial Red
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It's a 2011. I don't think it sits over the shock mount, might just be the angle.
would it be possible to get a picture from the right side? and the attachment on that side?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunkee View Post
I bought a used one and the front right tab is a weak link in there design breaks very easily. As I found out on my way home I will be reinforcing it with fiberglass on the under side.

Here is my new Pyramid Rear Hugger showing the 3 bolts holding the 2 parts together.
ignore all the while specks - it is acrylic dust from making my reinforcing parts.

here the the front right mount that seems to be a weak point.
It attaches the the rear brake line hose clip rear bolt behind the rear shock mount.
the flange does not mount to anything solid as the flange has 3-4mm ridge giving the plastic its strength. but as there is nothing on the rear swing arm where it mounts that goes up into the space under the flange... it will crack when you screw it down.

So you need to back fill the underside of the flange.
I made mine with some acrylic, that was thick enough to be flush with the lips of the flange. I then made an acrylic disk to fill the hole as it is LARGE.
drilled a hole for the bolt - make sure you know where to drill the hole by test fitting it. I glued the disc to the my reinforcing plate and then used very thin double sided tape to hold the plate to hugger flange.
The reinforcing plate holds the hugger flange up off swingarm, and the disc I made keeps the rear brake line hose wire holder from crushing the top of the plastic flange.

Last edited by Gigitt; 05-11-2014 at 12:08 AM.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
would it be possible to get a picture from the right side? and the attachment on that side?
If you buy me a beer when I come through Oregon in July

2011 Imperial Red
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 01:55 PM

Here are some pics from the right side. Please disregard the dirt...I think I'll go wash my bike now though...

onewizard likes this.

2011 Imperial Red
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 10:12 AM

I recently installed the pyramid rear hugger and I didn't have any issues. However, I didn't fully tighten the upper right fastener due to the previous listed reasons. If that fastener becomes problematic, I will just us liquid screw or something to keep it tight and right. Note the black hugger has a blueish tint to it.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Here are some pics from the right side. Please disregard the dirt...I think I'll go wash my bike now though...

too cool...it's as I thought..the mounting screw hole on the right side no longer exists on my bike because of the speedy lowering link (well it's there..it's just being used and is covered by a big hunk of aluminum)...I'd have to do some adjusting to get your hugger to fit...let me know when your riding through..a beer is one me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lowering link 004.JPG (61.5 KB, 88 views)
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:03 PM

Bummer about the lowering kit in the way for the Skidmarx hugger. Looks like you might have go a different route. Thankfully, there are several other options out there.

I'll let you know what my trip is looking like as I plan it more. If it works out to grab a beer, great!

2011 Imperial Red
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
too cool...it's as I thought..the mounting screw hole on the right side no longer exists on my bike because of the speedy lowering link (well it's there..it's just being used and is covered by a big hunk of aluminum)...I'd have to do some adjusting to get your hugger to fit...let me know when your riding through..a beer is one me...
chadams66,

Got any pics with what you finally came up with? And what hugger did you finally get? The Pyramids seem to be doomed structurallyl and I've got a brand new one I don't want to screw up. A lot of people like that expensive powerbronze, but the screen sides make a mess when it rains: better off without one period!

Thanks!
david3921 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode