Digital Voltage Meter Install - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Digital Voltage Meter Install

Due to the number of electrical accessories I have added, I felt a need to keep an eye on the voltage output (Versys has 336 watts available). It is wired to be energized with the key on so I can read the battery output before starting. After starting it displays the charging system output while running under load.

I purchased http://www.amazon.com/SMAKN-4-0-30v-Digital-Display-Voltmeter/dp/B00B689UGA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1399116982&sr=8-5&keywords=voltage+meter from Amazon.

Mark and cut:

Picked up the 12V supply from my Centech AP-1 to my Grip-Heater switch.

Drilled a new Ground-point close by:

Job done:

If its not perfectly straight...you have only yourself to blame

And some people think its a luggage rack

I'm no diplomat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Is that voltage meter waterproof? It looks pretty exposed at the rear.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Looks good ...I just hate to cut the dash.. I have an Argus Battery Bug on the dash also i keep one of these in my tank bag as well in each car..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Boat-Vol...item2a3b08f0a0

Just saw these today..http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-in-1-12V-2...item4ad479178c ......http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-batt...item3cdac35226

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

No it is not waterproof. I used http://www.amazon.com/Performix-Clear-Liquid-Tape-Spray/dp/B006ZBCQNC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=01AZ741M88DEG7H385HS to seal the back of the unit after the install and before final assembly. No attempt was made to seal the display side at all. There were a few other choices out there. Perhaps http://www.amazon.com/DROK-Waterproof-Monitor-Battery-Voltmeter/dp/B00CK3XN3G/ref=pd_sim_hi_30?ie=UTF8&refRID=12JT2D7PNXB274FRK8EF would be a better choice. I dont think it will have any water related issues..if it does it will probably be BECAUSE I sealed the back and it holds water Update on the water issue: The bike has spent several days in soaking rain parked and uncovered as well as at least two 300+mile days on the road in light to heavy rain. The volt meter did show signs of having some moisture in the display but has never malfunctioned or shown any other negative issues.

I'm no diplomat

Last edited by aka Yamadog; 02-15-2015 at 09:00 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 11:45 AM

Garage
That looks like the same unit I installed on my bike for he same reasons. I have had it for 2-3 yrs with jo problems.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 12:41 PM

Garage
How bright are these displays?

I'm more concerned with eye strain at night; I seem to be easily bothered by LED lights in the dark.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 01:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrtcan View Post
How bright are these displays?

I'm more concerned with eye strain at night; I seem to be easily bothered by LED lights in the dark.
They are no worse than my gauges for brightness.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 02:38 PM

I installed that same volt meter in my kayak after putting a trolling motor and solar panel on to keep an eye on the battery, and has survived for two years of getting splashed and living outdoors. I haven't flipped (yet) but unless you plan on sinking the V it should be fine.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 08:14 PM

Nice job on the install. Looks great! Those digital meters are just too busy for me. I like a little more subtle.

I went this route..

More info here Post #2:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=29482

http://www.sparkbright.co.uk/

These are completely sealed and waterproof.

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 05-05-2014 at 08:30 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

I pretty much did what Kirk did, but different dash location, on both my Vs.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 11:51 PM

Garage
The previous owner did like you, Cutting the Dash. He wired it straight to the battery with a toggle switch. I did not like cutting the dash, and having a hot circuit on the dash. So I went another route. I fabricated this panel up. I used a aluminum flat bar across the windshield mounts. Used Oak to come off the bar for vertical support. Screwed and epoxied to bar. Then plastic ABS panels front and rear. cut to curve of windshield on top. I put rubber trim on bottom of panel and fuzzy Velcro under wood supports to eliminate buzzing. Under the seat in tool area at front, I now have a project box that holds the extra electronics. I used one switched power from horn circuit. have 5 amp fuse in line. It powers 3 DC-DC convertors, one for garage door opener (3.1v). One for yellow LEDs (8.4v)(See Me) and one at 6v for arduino and running red LEDs. It also provides the 12v for brake level red LEDs and source for volt meter. I currently have the Arduino providing volt meter and air temp. the temp sensor is just behind lower front of windshield. One day I plan to have the arduino talk to the diagnostic port so I can have gear displayed on left of LCD.

Now if anyone wants to install a square voltmeter like seen in lower right of my dash, I will straight up trade my dash with meter and switch for your un-cut one. You only need to do wiring.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front_1.jpg (42.9 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg Front_On.jpg (30.5 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg Meter.jpg (54.3 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg Power_On.jpg (35.4 KB, 145 views)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 07:58 AM

I'm with Kirk on this one.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Here're two pics of my LED voltage indicator. BTW - NOT the best location for it. IF I do it again, it'll be more 'central' to line-of-sight!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02997.jpg (49.1 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02998.jpg (57.8 KB, 141 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode