Paint rims?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Paint rims??

I know this sounds a little out there, or maybe totally stupid, but it was just a thought that popped into my head, so maybe someone here has already done it, and will share their results!
As I was looking at the two Versys at the top of this site, it hit me what one of the big differences in appearance was, one has white rims, the other black. I know, around here anyhow, the big fad for the last 4 or 5 years was to go with black rims on your vehicle. Maybe it's just me, but I always liked the chrome or aluminum rims on the tires. Having the rims black also just makes it too much of one color. But you can't put white rims on the yellow/black bike, it wouldn't match anything..... changing the rims to match the yellow, probably too much yellow..... how about having the rims match the color of the frame?... As I said earlier, just thinking, maybe someone here with computer skills can show what the bike would look like ?? Man this rain has to stop soon so I can get back on the bike ........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 04:54 AM

Garage
The bikes at the top of the page have black and silver rims. Both were available as stock in the early couple years of the first generation, depending on what colour bike. I think silver rims came on the blue(?)

I think for the best results, colour changing your rims should be done by powder coating. More costly than paint, but better durability.

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 05:04 AM
MTS

I'm glad my rims are black. After oiling the chain and running a dirt road white rims would be a no no.

Silver maybe? Do agree powder coat would be best.

No change in my future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 07:11 AM

Check into Plasti-Dip...
https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 07:58 AM

Another thing that is getting popular is hydrographics I actually thought about having a Fer parts dipped, but unless you do it yourself it is very costly.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 08:02 AM

They have diy kits around $100

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 08:16 AM
MTS

Wow that is cool! Have you done it yourself?

Do you have a link to the kit?

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 11:55 AM

http://www.mydipkit.com/index.html

I haven't tried it yet.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
When I had a Bandit (black rims), a lot of the guys would polish the vertical parts on the edges of the rims. I admit it looked PDG, BUT later most of them said they wouldn't do it again, because it became a PITA keeping them looking good.

I'm w/ the "powder-coat-them" bunch....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
Check into Plasti-Dip...
I've used that on my car wheels and it is easy and looks good.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 04:54 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
http://www.mydipkit.com/index.html

I haven't tried it yet.

Thank you it really looks like an awesome coating!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 09:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
Check into Plasti-Dip...
I sprayed the rims on my truck, as well as some other parts.

This is my truck before spraying.

Here is after I sprayed. I removed the rims from the truck, and put painters tape on the tires. That pic was taken the day of spraying, but that was 10 months ago, and there is no wear on the rims paint job, even after a rough winter.

I also removed my front grill and painted it black and the Honda "H" red. The black is PlastiDip, and the H was done with spray paint. The spray paint is getting tiny chips from stones and such(cant see them from more than 5-10 ft away)

If I wanted I can easily remove the plastidip with a pressure washer. I have $5.xx per rim invested in my truck, rather than powder coating.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 12:27 AM

Garage
I would think for a long lasting color you would powder coat them. There are youtube DIY videos on it. I think the problem would be an oven to bake the coating on. But there are creative folks who could make one of those too.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Great topic.

I have had other motorcycle project parts powder coated on other bikes, and the experience was a positive one. However, anything threaded or drilled and tapped gets filled in a bit and sometimes you have to run a tap through some parts to clean it out.

I am sitting with my back wheel off...... doing a chain and sprockets.... and want to do rear wheel bearings.... and I have new tires sitting here as well...

I would like to have my rims powder coated black, but thinking it's going to booger up the inside diameter where the wheel bearings go in.

Perhaps they can block off that part of the hub.... as they bake them, I don't know if tape is an option, but I bet they have run into this before.

I think I heard a price of about $80 bucks prepped and coated per wheel, I will double check. I wont risk anything that will scratch or flake off easily.

I hate all the silver on my bike, just me, certainly.

Actually I think the silver looks good if you got the blue Versys, that is quite sharp.

No right or wrong answers on this topic me thinks.

Certainly subject to taste.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
ive painted my rims on my bobber
but my red 08 versys came with silver rims.. i think black is a bit much personally
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 03:57 AM

Rim Painting

About 3 years ago I became tired of the effort it took to properly clean my 09 silver wheels. The machined outsides weren't bad but the centers were. I took off both wheels, disc, etc. and very thoroughly cleaned them ( with tires on). Then used good painters tape and newspaper to carefully mask the machined surfaces and tires so the finished product was only black on the rough centers. Then I used regular automotive blue pinstriping on the outside edges of the remaining silver. Looks good and cleaning is much easier.

Lean/Two
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode