Versys painted with truck bed liner - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys painted with truck bed liner

Hi all. I'm new to the site and just brought home my new (to me) '08 red Versys last night. I'm planning to start customizing it with an urban assault style theme, while making it decent for the occasional gravel/dirt road foray (maybe 5-10% of my riding).

Finding the right equipment for the bike to customize it how I'd like is straightforward enough, especially with all of the great information on this site, but I have a paint question that I haven't seen an answer to.

While I like the red paint, I'm really looking at repainting all of the red plastic with truck bed liner, similar to what I've seen people to to many KLR's, DR's and other dual-purpose/dirt bikes. It looks bitin' IMHO, and the low maintenance aspect is another perk.

So my question is, has anyone done such a thing to their Versys? Any suggestions, words of advice, heeds of danger?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 02:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
Unless you really want the look now, I'd say wait to do it until you actually damage the red paint.

I don't know that the liner paint will protect the plastic as much as you might think. Any fall could still damage the mounting points of the plastic, regardless of liner paint.

One comment I do recall regarding someone who painted their V-Strom with liner paint; he continued the painting to a bit of the back side of the panels, as the liner paint coud start to peel away from the plastic.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 08:45 PM

I heard that stuff only adhere's to metal, as mentioned above.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 10:08 AM

The couple of bikes I've seen where the silver bits were painted the same color as the tank looked wrong to me. Motorcycle designs tend to flow visually front to rear and painting the silver bits tank color disrupt that line. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, however, so whatever you like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 10:22 AM

I used to own a Kawasaki EX-500 and on one of there forums I used to check regularly there was a lot of guys that would use truck bed liner on there bikes after an accident or to give it streetfighter look. Apparently it works really well.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

I'm thinking I'll leave the silver bits silver, to maintain some contrast to the black.

The thought about painting the backsides of the panels is nice to know. Hadn't thought about paint peeling if just painting one side of the panel. Guess one might as well paint the whole panel, both sides, to minimize any chance of that happening.

Definitely going to have to research proper panel prep to make sure it sticks.

Thanks for the advice so far! If anyone else has any thoughts, please chime in.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 06:19 PM

Unless your getting it done professionally with LINE X, do not do this. Comming from the offroading world, i see so many guys using spray cans of bedliner to do parts of their rigs with it, it flakes off and generally is useless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode