SW Motech GPS Holder with Ram Mount Nuvi 500 Holder - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SW Motech GPS Holder with Ram Mount Nuvi 500 Holder

SW Motech GPS Holder with Ram Mount Nuvi 500 Holder
SW-MOTECHGPSHolderWithRamMountNuvi500Holder.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20091005_06_GarminNuvi500GPS.jpg (33.7 KB, 328 views)

Last edited by hdatontodo; 10-05-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 03:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
I have considered getting one of these SWMotech mounts.

Three questions;

1. I don't see any RAM mount with this set-up. Are you sure you meant to say "ram-mount"?

2. Can you see the GPS screen without tilting your head down, assuming you wear a full face helmet with chin-bar?

3. Does the GPS interfere with your sightline to the dash?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-nigma View Post

Three questions;

1. I don't see any RAM mount with this set-up. Are you sure you meant to say "ram-mount"?

2. Can you see the GPS screen without tilting your head down, assuming you wear a full face helmet with chin-bar?

1> I bought these parts from Twisted Throttle:
Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 GPS.08.455.100 SW-MOTECH GPS Holder (Kawasaki Versys 650, '07-) $49.99
Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 RAM-HOL-GA32U RAM-HOL-GA32U mount for Garmin Nuvi 500 & Nuvi 550 $10.04

2> I didn't notice having to tilt my head due to the chin bar, but I may have tilted my head due to my eyeglass lenses.

3> No. Can see the speedo et al just fine.

I'll see if I can take a picture later this weekend from the driver's perspective.

One other note is that the mount has different sets of holes for different RAM mount holders.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 05:15 PM

I have put a total of 18,000 miles on my versys using velcro to hold a Nuvi 500 on the
flat part of the handlebar stem.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-nigma View Post

I went for a ride today.

2. If I keep my head forward and peek my eyes down, the top of my chin bar is slightly above the bottom of the GPS. However I can't read that way anyway since it's below my glasses. I slightly tilt my head down to read it.

3. The top of the GPS is below the bottom of my dash.

I can see the GPS better in that location that my usual mount location on the left handlebar.

Tony

Tony
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 06:06 PM

I'm using this too and about the same issue. Not right in the line of site, but a easy to make a quick glances at. I like the mount a lot.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 03:02 PM

I use a less expensive bicycle type handlebar mount. It works just fine. I've ended up using my Garmin Nuvi 260w a lot more than I thought I would. Just be careful when using it while riding.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 04:53 PM

Mine is up higher. I thought it might be in the way of my veiw. After riding around it works real well for me.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/galler....php?photo=854
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 11:02 PM

GPS Mount

I used my suction cup mount (the one that came with the gps) on the winshield for 1300 miles in July. I bought an extra suction cup and mounted it right above the other one, and put a small lanyard (like a small camera strap) attatched to the gps in case the suction cup mount should happen to fail. It never did. Its an inexpensive way to mount your gps and actually see it without looking down. TIP mount it so that the bottom of the GPS rides just above the tac and rests on it. I put a little felt stickem pad on the guage cluster to keep it from scratches. Hope this helps some of you. VFV
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 12:24 AM

Suction

Excellent, great ideas on this site.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Since the Nuvi 500 has settings for car, bicycle, and foot (and topo maps), I bought the Garmin bicycle mount. It was an easy install and should be useful on long rides.

Tony
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrabuddy View Post
Mine is up higher. I thought it might be in the way of my veiw. After riding around it works real well for me.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/galler....php?photo=854
What type of mount are you using?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 06:24 PM

BTW...a good deal on the Nuvi 500 at REI. Picked up one today.
http://www.rei.com/product/775807

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 04:26 PM

I have a Nuvi 265WT on a MotoWerk Tom-Tom mount (thanks Speedy) with a 1.5" RAM mount arm and cradle.

from the windscreen bolts out:

MotoWerk Versys Tom-Tom GPS mount (the pre-drill holes for the Tom Tom mount match up exactly with a RAM 1" rectangular plate).

RAM Mount 1" rectangular plate (RAM-B-347U) (07/17/10 Edit - had the wrong P/N listed, now fixed!)

RAM Mount 1 3/4" short dual 1" socket Arm (RAM-B-201U-A)

RAM Mount 1" diamond mini plate (RAM-B-238U)

RAM Mount Garmin Nuvi 200W series Cradle (RAM-HOL-GA25U)

I originally had the longer 3" arm that comes with the Motorcycle Mount (RAM-B-149-GA24) but found that the longer arm, with the normal Versys vibe's, made the Nuvi vibrate a little too much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speedy TomTom Rider Mount with Nuvi 265WT.JPG (179.0 KB, 391 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A2ron
Charleston, SC

Last edited by A2RON; 07-18-2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: wrong P/N for the rectangular plate was listed
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 01:53 AM

I purchased the SW-MOTECH handle bar mount for my Versys. The flat plate on that mount has two holes of the correct diameter and spacing to match the "diamond" 238U mount. I purchased a GPS V holder from GPSCity and it matched up perfectly with the 238U "footprint" on the plate. No rubber ball or arm required. The GPS V is in just the right spot and doesn't obscure my view of the instruments. Another forum member selected the Garmin 60CSx. It is weatherproof. It can be affixed to the SW-MOTECH plate using the 238U footprint and the RAM-HOL-GA12U cradle. You MUST use the "belt clip button" furnished with the 60CSx to use this holder. RAM also makes a quick release in the "diamond" pattern as the RAP-326. Put that on the SW-MOTECH plate and you can swap GPS, MP3 or XM radio onto the plate as appropriate. Amazon has good pricing on the Garmin 60CSx. Twisted Throttle has the deal on the plates. You can get the other RAM mount stuff directly off www.ram-mount.com.

Last edited by wa6smn; 10-12-2009 at 01:55 AM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 08:31 AM

Hi A2RON,

I also have a NUVI 265W and as I liked the GPS mount you had pictured I went ahead and purchased the items you listed. One problem though. The product number RAM-B-202U you specified for the RAM Mount 1" rectangular plate is for a round plate and not the rectangular one. Can you please specify which is the correct product number for the RAM Mount 1" rectangular plate you used for your bike?

Thanks a lot....
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Motowerks GPS mount and Zumo 550. Out of the way great view better rain protection. i would think the sw-motech holder mounted on the bars you get a good bit of vibration

[

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 08-01-2010 at 09:05 AM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 09:07 AM

Sorry it is the RAM-B-347U for the rectangular plate. I'm fixing all the threads. Thanks for the heads up!

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 09:33 AM

fixed them all, sorry for the confusion. Many thanks!

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2RON View Post
I have a Nuvi 265WT on a MotoWerk Tom-Tom mount (thanks Speedy) with a 1.5" RAM mount arm and cradle.

from the windscreen bolts out:

MotoWerk Versys Tom-Tom GPS mount (the pre-drill holes for the Tom Tom mount match up exactly with a RAM 1" rectangular plate).

RAM Mount 1" rectangular plate (RAM-B-347U) (07/17/10 Edit - had the wrong P/N listed, now fixed!)

RAM Mount 1 3/4" short dual 1" socket Arm (RAM-B-201U-A)

RAM Mount 1" diamond mini plate (RAM-B-238U)

RAM Mount Garmin Nuvi 200W series Cradle (RAM-HOL-GA25U)

I originally had the longer 3" arm that comes with the Motorcycle Mount (RAM-B-149-GA24) but found that the longer arm, with the normal Versys vibe's, made the Nuvi vibrate a little too much.

Hey A2RON, thanks a bunch for this post! I followed your parts list to the letter (even have the same 265WT unit) and it works great. Thanks for doing all the leg work for us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode