BEST mod, hands ON! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
BEST mod, hands ON!

WHY have I waited so long to do this to a bike? I've ridden in Alaska since 1998 and never had the urge to install...............HEATED GRIPS until now. All I can say is WHAT A DIFFERENCE Most if not all of the showmachines (snowmobiles for some of you) that I have ever ridden had them and rightfully so. But not ONE of my bikes. Until the V. I went with a little known brand, A'ME Engineered Performance. Here is the Amazon description of them:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DX895W0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1They were a little more than some I looked at but not as much as some. What intrigued me was the type of controls they had and the type of installation. Where the left grip doesn't get glues on and the right (throttle) grip uses a complete assembly with interchangeable cable guides. The instructions were pretty easy to follow. The wiring was nice and simple with waterproof connectors from the grips and a fused connection directly to the battery. The only strange feature is that there is not an actual ON/OFF switch for the grips. Each grip is turned ON individually by pressing the button on the grip 1 to 6 times depending on how hot you want them to be. And then watching the LED light on the grip flash accordingly, letting you know it's on. Then to turn them OFF just press and hold the button for 3 seconds. AND IF you forget to turn them off, they have a built in battery monitor circuit that will automatically shut them off when the battery drops below 98%. So you don't have a dead battery when you forget to turn them off. Obviously it would be difficult (and it is highly discouraged) to adjust the grips while riding. So you set them when you start the bike and then go. The left grip was a no brainer. Just cut off the OEM grip and slide this one on and tighten the allen screw clamp. Where you want the control button on the grip to face, and where you want the wire is the only thing you need to decide. The throttle side was a bit more complicated as you have to take the throttle housing apart, pull the cables out of the tube and the OEM grip and tube off. and replace them with the new unit with the matching cable guide attached. This took me a while due to figuring out what the best placement of the wire AND making sure it didn't interfere with anything when the throttle was twisted. This entailed putting it together........ then saying NO that isn't going to work 3 or 4 times. Then taking it apart and adjusting the cable guide placement until I was COMPLETELY satisfied with the placement. All in all not too difficult, just time consuming. AND figuring out that the hole in the handle bar and the pin guide on the throttle housing are SUPPOSED to line up to hold the housing in place. It only took me 10 or so minutes of scratching my head, trying to figure out WHY the housing wasn't going back together properly!!
Also how neat and tucked away you want the wiring to look MAY take some time, and a few black zip ties I found I only needed to pull off the left side tank plastics and the seat to access running the wires. I tried to place them where the stock handle bar control wires run and along the bottom of the tank. All in all it was a clean ALMOST OEM look when finished.
Here are some pictures of the install:

[IMG][/IMG]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Interesting! I hadn't stumbled across that brand before.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
we dont need over here.

Its always add some fun doing mod -DIY.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 12:30 PM

Garage
Put those on my V in march of last year. Was very happy with them..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
VG write-up Jeff!!!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 01:53 PM

Garage
I have heated grips and love them. Never seen that brand though.
The one thing I found out the hard way is I would remove them from your battery. Hook them up to a relay, or a seperate fuze box as I did. You WILL eventually forget to turn them off, and it never happened for me at my house, just out at a destination...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 02:12 PM

Pretty much the 1st mod I do on any bike.

I've mostly used Oxford, but I considered AME for my last heated grip install. The shape looks perfect. I think most grips are sized so people with small hands are comfortable with them. Larger is better for the rest of us.

When my friend was looking for grips for his HD, I encouraged him to choose a model shaped like that and he was really happy with the choice.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 02:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
I have heated grips and love them. Never seen that brand though.
The one thing I found out the hard way is I would remove them from your battery. Hook them up to a relay, or a seperate fuze box as I did. You WILL eventually forget to turn them off, and it never happened for me at my house, just out at a destination...

If you forget to turn off the AME's they will turn themselves off.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
The one thing I found out the hard way is I would remove them from your battery.
As the original post points out the grips should shut off automatically if you leave them on. I expect it will save the battery from damage. I wonder if it leaves you enough charge to start the bike? Anyone tested it?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 02:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
As the original post points out the grips should shut off automatically if you leave them on. I expect it will save the battery from damage. I wonder if it leaves you enough charge to start the bike? Anyone tested it?
Yes....Started right up..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Yes....Started right up..
Awesome! Thanks.

FWIW I think Oxford fixed their shut off too (both my sets light up the warning early enough anyway). Earlier ones I've had might save the battery but only leave enough for a bump start, not an e-start, or on the other extreme, be reluctant to turn on until you were actually riding.

I came very close to buying AMEs for my last install, and if Oxford weren't on sale at the time (and from Twisted Throttle which has given me outstanding service) I might have bought them. If I were buying a setup today I think it would be AME.

It sounds like they're almost perfect. No control panel or switch to mount is another big bonus. The only drawback I see is it seems more involved to reduce the heat than it is with for example Oxford or with the Warm n Safe Heat troller. I'm sure I'd get over it.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 02:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
Awesome! Thanks.

FWIW I think Oxford fixed their shut off too (both my sets light up the warning early enough anyway). Earlier ones I've had might save the battery but only leave enough for a bump start, not an e-start, or on the other extreme, be reluctant to turn on until you were actually riding.

I came very close to buying AMEs for my last install, and if Oxford weren't on sale at the time (and from Twisted Throttle which has given me outstanding service) I might have bought them. If I were buying a setup today I think it would be AME.

It sounds like they're almost perfect. No control panel or switch to mount is another big bonus. The only drawback I see is it seems more involved to reduce the heat than it is with for example Oxford or with the Warm n Safe Heat troller. I'm sure I'd get over it.
Their also the most comfortable grips i've had on a bike. Thinking about putting a set on the FJR..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 03:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
If you forget to turn off the AME's they will turn themselves off.
Good to hear. My oxfords, will turn off to protect the battery. However they do not turn off in time and still leave you with a dead battery.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 03:41 PM

Garage
Just ordered a set for the FJR. Been thinking about doing it so this thread made me pull the trigger.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Good to hear. My oxfords, will turn off to protect the battery. However they do not turn off in time and still leave you with a dead battery.

If they turn off in time to protect the battery, I expect you have enough juice for a bump start? I've bump started my Versys solo on level ground before, so it's annoying but not as bad as a truly dead battery. What's the version on the front of your control panel. I've only had that problem with oxford v7a. v8 is a big improvement.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 06:51 PM

I have the AME's too, and remember posting to Weljo's AME thread. I like them, and especially like having individual heating controls for left vs right. The left one slides over the handle bar, and the right one is over a plastic throttle control tube that's slipped over the bar. If you think about it a moment, the left one has to heat up the handle bar and is losing some heat to it, while the throttle tube one has the plastic of the throttle control tube insulating it from the handle bar. The result is that to have the same level of heat output, I need to keep the left one about 2 settings higher than the right. (3 left, 1 right or 4 left, 2 right, etc.) The other gotcha to be aware of is that the buttons are pretty small, so if you are mashing them with your index finger inside a glove, you are tempted to be looking where the button is and if you are being successful...while you are then not looking where you're going and will soon be in the bushes. :-) The throttle side was a little tricky to install, but now I know what those parts look like inside, how the cables really work in there, etc. So it was a nice mechanical lesson while I did it, and it wouldn't scare me anymore if I had to take the throttle side apart again some day.

Here's a link to that older Grip thread, just for completeness: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ighlight=grips

Someday is not a day of the week.

Last edited by Tigerpawed; 04-04-2014 at 06:59 PM.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 05:50 AM

I think I would use a relay anyway, just for piece of mind. Provided the grips remember the last heat setting when powered back on. Luckily, mine do.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
I think I would use a relay anyway, just for piece of mind. Provided the grips remember the last heat setting when powered back on. Luckily, mine do.
I've used them for the past 3 days commuting to work. Left them on (on purpose) for two of those days to test out the theory.....I still had plenty of battery even at 35-40 degrees to start up without a problem. The grips provide all the piece of mind I need, so NO need for a relay here. To each his own though.

There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 08:39 AM

Interesting approach. How easy is it to manipulate the power buttons embedded in the grips? In the YouTube video (link below) the presenter is not wearing gloves, which I'd certainly be wearing while riding and particularly if it were cold enough that heated gloves would be a plus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBx9L5nXgSE

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Interesting approach. How easy is it to manipulate the power buttons embedded in the grips? In the YouTube video (link below) the presenter is not wearing gloves, which I'd certainly be wearing while riding and particularly if it were cold enough that heated gloves would be a plus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBx9L5nXgSE
It is STRONGLY DISCOURAGED in the instructions to operate them while riding. As it is very difficult to manipulate the small button with gloves on even if you weren't riding. IMHO a small price to pay for the clean installation and less clutter on the bike. And my feelings are, IF you have the warmers on you probably won't need to to turn them off or down till you get where you are going. At least here in the Last Frontier it seems like it never really gets too warm anyway. If the need arises then you can pull over and take care of it in a matter of seconds and be back on your way. A SMALL inconvince in my opinion.

2011 ADVersys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode