Windshield dilemma - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Windshield dilemma

I recently purchased a Zero Gravity touring windshield and have tried it in all three positions with no sucess eliminating the buffeting effect. I am 6'3" and and have NEVER had luck with windshields on any bikes I've owned. i don't like looking through them but like keeping the wind off my upper body on longer rides is nice. The best sucess I have had with my V so far is with NO windshield on at all!! The stock one is OK but just looks goofy to me, I'd rather run without if I had a choice.

has anyone used one of these before?

I'm thinking about getting the Zero Gravity SR smoke one and calling it good, but this one (MRA?) looks interesting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Windshield dilemma

Geewiz. You have not read any of my posts on my troubles. ( maybe posted on uk site can't remember.)

I built some acrylic risers to lift my Kawasaki /MRA High screen up 70mm. It really helped with my top buffeting but I still get side wind buffeting bad.

Only choice for us tall blokes ( I'm 6'4") is CaliforiaScience or Madstad screens.

I'm looking at getting. MadStad screen 20" with the funky adjustment system they make which allows for infinately variable screen angle. Will cost the same or cheaper to get locally then ordering a CaliSci screen with shipping and fixed angle.

I too enjoy riding without a screen sooooo quiet but you body does get beaten up by wind.

---
I prefer to use Tapatalk for mobile - I can't stand all these dating ads!!!

Last edited by Gigitt; 03-26-2014 at 01:12 AM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Good info Gigitt. I've decided to put my ZG windscreen up for sale and try the MRA touring. It's shorter but wider...maybe it will work It's short enough to keep the wind off my core, but not too tall to hit me right in the helmet like the Zero Gravity. If I hunker down just a few inches the ZG works perfect. But i can't ride like that comfortably. I guess I'm like you...just too tall for most of these windscreens to work properly.

There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 04:57 AM
Ysp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I did a similar thing as Gigitt, but used the Touratech GPS mount as a bracket to pivot the MRA screen so it stands more upright --> http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...aki-Versys-650

I used the top screen holes to mount the Touratech bracket. The front holes of the MRA screen went into those same front holes of the bracket/fairing. I then pivoted the screen to mark where to drill the holes at the back of the Touratech bracket (in the sides), just above the top odometer plastics, and used these holes to fix the back holes from the MRA screen, this way it is in a more upright position changing the wind-blocking characteristics. Looks great and works even greater (for me that is). I have the touring MRA screen (with the added adjustable wing), which adds another few inches of screen-height.

PS : I also modded the GPS mount : removed the top silver part, and mounted a RAM ball in the middle of the bottom plate, this way I can position my Zumo just above the odometer using the RAM clamp.
This was the main reason why I bought the mount (with the RAM-ball-mod already in mind), and when I saw it attached it automatically popped in my mind (having seen Gigitt 's post + 2daMax's post using alu plates --> http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...9&postcount=30 (I used the same holes to mount the TT bracket)) to drill some holes and be able to pivot the MRA screen more upright (as it is by default in a quite flat position, you can see a photo comparision in this post --> http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...8&postcount=31).

My 5' 10" puts me in a different ballpark, but I hope this might be able to help you as well.

I 'll post some pics as soon as the bike is back from it's pre-season maintenance.

Last edited by Ysp; 03-26-2014 at 05:20 AM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
GREAT info for sure. Thanks for the tips ysp!

2011 ADVersys

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 05:32 AM
Ysp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
GREAT info for sure. Thanks for the tips ysp!
No prob Jeff, gladd to be able to do something in return (getting anxious waiting to start fiddling with the beak )
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 06:36 AM

have you tried the MRA Vario?

I have one and it does a good job directing the wind stream higher or lower. I have also used bushings to adjust the "native" angle of attack on the main screen.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-v...rsys-650-07-09

Quote:
The VarioTouringScreen features a 7-position adjustable spoiler at the top of a TouringScreen-shaped windshield. The adjustable spoiler can be used to redirect airflow to suit the rider.

I'm no diplomat

Last edited by aka Yamadog; 03-26-2014 at 06:39 AM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
what I forgot to mention in my previous thread.
the stock Kawa/MRA High Screen put the air stream right into the visor for me.
Hence why I made a riser 70mm. The air stream goes over my head now.
I dont think Buying an MRA screen will fix you issue over the stock screen, I think it will make it same or worse.
I cannot answer how the MRA Vario will work for us tall tall dudes.
Everything I have read and those I have talked to have said I will need a larger screen.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 07:37 AM

I have the MRA with the extra wing and like it. Not sure it will fix your problem as I'm not as tall as you.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
what I forgot to mention in my previous thread.
the stock Kawa/MRA High Screen put the air stream right into the visor for me.
Hence why I made a riser 70mm. The air stream goes over my head now.
I dont think Buying an MRA screen will fix you issue over the stock screen, I think it will make it same or worse.
I cannot answer how the MRA Vario will work for us tall tall dudes.
Everything I have read and those I have talked to have said I will need a larger screen.
I hear what you are saying for sure. But my issue is NOT with the stock screen, other than it's looks. I DO NOT want or like a BIG screen, expecially with a vario on it. As that is equally unapealling for my taste as well. The MRA from what I've read is only a couple inches higher than stock, but considerably wider all the way up. I guess I am really looking for a windscreen that fits the bike's cosmetics while affording me some marginal wind protection. As i said before I have NEVER been a winsdhield guy, and ridden most if not all of my life without one just fine. We really don't have hundreds of miles of superslab/interstate ANYWHERE here in Alaska and I'm not planning on moving any time soon. SO a windscreen with minimal protection and limited buffering SHOULD do just fine for MY needs at this time.....OR I could be completely daft and know not of what I speak, since it is 4:30 AM and I've been up working all night for the 6th night in a row

2011 ADVersys

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 07:52 AM

It's a motorcycle. The stock windscreen works O.K. but you don't like the way it looks. Have you tried a Harley.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
It's a motorcycle. The stock windscreen works O.K. but you don't like the way it looks. Have you tried a Harley.
Why YES I have, it's a 1992 Fatboy. And it does not have a windshield on it either.......

2011 ADVersys

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 08:02 AM

Harleys won't go fast enough to need one.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
OUCH.......Really? Have you ever seen a hopped up Sportster 1200 run? Now my 600lb FATboy wasn't the quickest thing around but it did OK.

2011 ADVersys

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 08:38 AM

Rode a couple of the XR1200s, best Harley in a long time, about the same performance as the Versys.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 09:00 AM
MTS

I have a medium Givi. If the weather turns to sh#$ I can tuck and make it through. It doesn't stop all buff but works pretty good.

Warning . . the first try at a screen was a (L or XL can't remember) CS and it is too heavy for 2010 and up and will crack the plastic on your bike where it attaches. You can hear it start to crack at about 75 mph.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I sold my 2011 Harley 48 after dumping about 3k into it and for the most part you are right, but that little 48 with a little work was fast enough for me. I could get rubber in 1st and 2nd gear. 80hp with 80 ftlbs on a bike that weighs about 450lbs. Top speed was only 115ish, but it got there real quick.
All that being said I sold it for the V because I feel A.) it suits my needs as I am not single anymore, and B.) I will be able to ride the V for more than 2 hours without blowing my back out.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Jeff - you saw mine at D2D. It's a Yamaha Majesty 'shield cut-down and then modded to fit the V's bracket. I use it when the weather's cold, or when I go for a long ride (like D2D...). I've ridden 10 to 12 hour days in pouring rain and been pretty comfortable BECAUSE of its coverage.

The pics are a couple of years before D2D, and - dirty-as-hell at Chicken last June....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V'shield3 copy.jpg (40.0 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00434 copy.jpg (87.6 KB, 153 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 09:50 PM

The best way to ride the V is no shield. I'm only 6'1", and I've tried every angle on the stock screen and I'm too cheap to start trying different ones. I finally took the screen off and haven't looked back.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 11:26 AM

I had the review on the Givi section, best windscreen in both performance and looks. I'm just thinking you are too tall not to feel the benefit of such screens:

Quote:
ad astra per aspera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode