Lower leg shields - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lower leg shields

I need a bike for a long year-round commute so I want one with good weather protection. The v only has a half-fairing. Could I add a bottom half?
What do you think? Would it be worth it? If so, are there after-market parts available?
Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 04:08 AM

Hi Sotonian
The V "fairing " offers no real protection from the weather at all,they are mainly cosmetic covers that give the bike its distinctive look.I have fitted handguards on my V and wear weatherproof gear as needed.

Not aware of any parts that you could fit to achieve the protection you are looking for,nothing reported on UK forums that I've noticed.

Perhaps you need a "scoot"

Twohoots

Last edited by Twohoots; 06-19-2008 at 04:10 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohoots View Post
The V "fairing " offers no real protection from the weather at all,they are mainly cosmetic covers that give the bike its distinctive look.
I respectfully disagree. The Versys fairing does a remarkably good job for its size. It is not as effective as a Windjammer, to be sure, so if that is what "real protection" is, I would concur. I was surprised at how well the Versys front deflects most wind blast from me—not as well as the V-Strom, but the Versys seems to be aimed at general-purpose sporty use.

I agree that the Versys may not be the best all-weather ride, but it depends on what you expect. I am used to bikes with little or no fairing and am very pleased with the Versys' wind deflection.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 12:40 PM

Thumbs up Re leg Shields

Hi Guys
Perhaps I could have worded my reply to sotonian a little better.Being a UK citizen,we generally take wind in our stride (i.e dont consider it to be weather) I was presuming (and how I understood the original post)that sotonian was looking for protection from rain!and I still say (having ridden mine in plenty of the stuff)that the fairing offers little real protection.
Otherwise danomar is spot on!

BTW, I have the "vario" windshield on mine,fitted from new and whilst I have no previous experience to measure it by it seems to do a very good job of keeping the wind at bay.

Sorry for any locally generated misunderstanding
from accross the pond

Twohoots
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 03:39 PM

Written as a true gentleman, indeed. I thought perhaps you might have implied all-weather protection but was unsure.

Now that I can spin the engine to a whopping 6000rpm, I took the Versys on the highway. In metro Atlanta, the actual—not posted—speed limit is close to 80mph. I was very happy with the Versys' wind protection, though upon reflection, taller folks might not enjoy to wind blast. I am used to it and found the stock fairing does a very effective job of dissipating high-speed wind blast. I have the Kawasaki large screen, too, and will see what that is like soon.

I do not know of any commercially available lowers for the Versys, but nice side crash guards are available which might lend themselves to mounting a generic lower shield.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 12:34 AM

No wind - I'm okay at any speed up to 85.

Going in to a 35mph headwind last weekend, I got blown all over the highway at 65mph.

That's all I know thus far...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvoelsch View Post
No wind - I'm okay at any speed up to 85.

Going in to a 35mph headwind last weekend, I got blown all over the highway at 65mph.

That's all I know thus far...
Don't fight the wind - lean into it, like countersteering and you'll remain stable.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Don't fight the wind - lean into it, like countersteering and you'll remain stable.
You'll have to visit Oregon sometime - the wind swirls and the roads are twisty!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 04:05 AM

Gets really interesting when you leaning into the wind and an 18 wheeler comes past , suddenly no wind .
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:02 AM

We get some good wind here in the Niagara area as well. Like those gusts where one minute your sitting up straight and the next second your leaned over hard to avoid being pushed off the road.

I know must of us here understand this - but I've noticed this forum has several new riders out there and I'm hoping they'll pick this up.

Just lean that bike over like your going around a curve - it's keeps your tires planted and helps you brace for the gusts.

I remember doing this on the Parkway near my house - the wind was blowing hard and I had my bike leaned over into the wind and I passed this other rider and he was doing the same thing. I think the tourists taking the wine tour were thinking they had too much tasting.

Last edited by Ocean; 06-24-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode