Tank Bags - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tank Bags

Couldn't find a thread on it (i'm sure it's buried somewhere) but any suggestions for a good tank bag? With the plastic on either side of the tank are there problems with magnetic ones? Also how much of a pain is it to fuel up with them? I never had/ used one, but the thought of being able to put my phone in one as a cheap gps has me convinced. Either way the magnets kinda scare me because I feel like it would blow off on the highway ( I know it probably wouldn't, but you know what im saying).
Also forgive my noobness to the forum, but is there a way to search by keywords? I see you can add tags. Another thing is there a notification if someone responds to your thread?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 09:30 AM

Lots of good choices even with the plastic as the flaps can be folded over onto the metal like I do mine.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...=1623j405427j8

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 09:43 AM
MTS

Welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MTS; 03-11-2014 at 10:25 AM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Have been using the Givi tank Bag( I believe its a T-409 ) on the Versys for a couple of years now. Has 4 magnets in the bottom holds tight. Has been on the Versys to speeds of 100mph. I now use it on my FJR its has seen speeds over 130mph. Its not going anywhere to fuel up i just lift off the tank and set it on the gas pump.

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 11:48 AM

Really expensive, but fantastic -- by far the best tank bag I've ever had -- is the City model of the Bags Connection.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/bags-...ounting-system

It mounts on a semicircular platform that you attach to the ring that goes around the gas filler hole. The bag clicks onto that platform, locking it into place. And the bag doesn't touch the paint -- it sits a fraction of an inch above the tank. It's easy to take off (you pull a hidden leash under the bag to unlatch it) and it's easy to put on. You know it's attached when you hear it click.

Bags Connection also makes a thin cable lock that you can use to secure the bag to the bike, as well as lock up the zipper so it can't be opened unless you have the combination.

It's always centered. Magnetic tank bags drove me crazy because I'd be riding down the highway and I'd notice that the bag was a few millimeters off and it would drive me to distraction.

I bought mine more than three years ago and I use it most days -- I'm a five-day-a-week commuter, year-round in South Florida -- and it looks brand new. In the long run, it's probably cheaper than magnetic tank bags, which tend to show fabric wear over the magnets.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I have two of the "Tank Bags" magnetic bags (I BELIEVE they are discontinued, but you might be able to find one...), and IMHO they are the BEST for the V!

Here's a pic of one that's pretty dirty (on D2D 2013, in Chicken, AK). The magnets hold well, plus there's a 'tether' you attach around the bar-riser so it can't 'blow' off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00434 copy.jpg (87.6 KB, 144 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 05:26 PM

Hey Holden, I'm looking at similar bags with the same connection system. That City bag looks huge. Do you have any pictures of it on the bike? Thanks
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 10:42 PM

Garage
Had a bag with stap tied to everywhere and it was a pita when fueling up

So I bought this, cut the original strap from my tankbag, screwed it on and voilą !

For weatherprofing purposes, I siliconed all the screw inside and outside of the bag ... Should have used translucid one though ...

Don't like magnet, especialy when bag manufacturer specifies that those magnet can peel the paint, more so on grey paint ... Grrrrr

LOP

Last edited by Lours_Polaire; 03-11-2014 at 10:44 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Nice. I think I am going to look at both, but I like the locking ring idea moreso than the magnets. They kida sketch me out. I am going to try to get the dealer to throw one in one the deal. I am going today to sign papers on my Versys. probably in an hour or two. I pick it up on Friday, now I just need to find a way to melt all the snow in new England so I can ride it.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I got the Givi version of the tanklock:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g...nklock-tankbag

I think this is the one I have. They come in a few different sizes. Twisted Throttle carries them as well.

Last edited by HondaGalToo; 03-12-2014 at 09:26 PM.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 02:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post

I think this is the one I have. They come in a few different sizes. Twisted Throttle carries them as well.

When I searched for a kit, the Givi tanklock kit didn't came in a "female - male" config, so you absolutely had to use a Givi tank bag ... Is it still this way ?

Thing is, I find Givi tank bag quite expensive compare to what's offered on the market

My 2 cents

LOP
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.sporttour.com/products/c57-Givi-Tank-Bags/

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 05:23 PM

I've got a Wolfman Explorer lite that I use on both the Versys, and the Vstrom..my favorite tank bag....

'15 DL1000
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 02:09 PM

I run a Giant Loop Fandango tank bag on mine. Mounts with straps and handles the shape of the bike just fine.

Testcase
aka
Chuck of the Wheelnerds

: A couple of nerds and their motorcycles podcast
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
When I searched for a kit, the Givi tanklock kit didn't came in a "female - male" config, so you absolutely had to use a Givi tank bag ... Is it still this way ?

Thing is, I find Givi tank bag quite expensive compare to what's offered on the market

My 2 cents

LOP
I'm pretty sure the givi ring is specific to the givi tankbag. The tankbag has the corresponding piece that mates up with the tank ring. I'm gonna guess that the tank ring for the SW Bags Connection in Holden's post is specific to that type bag as well. Works for me, as I just have the one tank bag and don't need multiple size tankbags.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post

I have this one as well. I love it for small articles, camera or whatever, and the tank mount ring is pretty slick for a quick removal.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 07:48 AM

Tank-bag mount

Mounted my tank bag on a Cortech Dryver locking ring, which was less than $25, as I recall. Keeps the bag off the paint and snaps off with a 1/8th twist to the left. Put the bag on a poly cutting board for stability. So far, so good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tank Bag Mount.jpg (74.7 KB, 102 views)

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Versys View Post
Mounted my tank bag on a Cortech Dryver locking ring, which was less than $25, as I recall. Keeps the bag off the paint and snaps off with a 1/8th twist to the left. Put the bag on a poly cutting board for stability. So far, so good.
I like that idea. Whatever I get I want it off the paint if I can help it.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 02:51 PM

Magnetized tank bags work pretty darn well but like you I don't like the idea of scratching my lovely paint job. The ones that use a locking ring are usually a bit more of an investment but are super pimp and worth the bigger price tag, I'm looking at the Givi 3D603 at the moment. I saw one a few months ago on a bike and really like the look of it. For me the window and styling was what really did it for me. I use a cell phone as a gps and use one of these at the moment . . .

http://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-WaterProof-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Samsung/dp/B00DRA334K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1395862869&sr=8-4&keywords=motorcycle+cell+phone+holder
Its cheap and gets the job done. I run a charger to it and keep cash in it if I know I'm hitting toles. It works ok. It is not the best thing in the world but for 11$ I use the crap out of it. In all honesty, what I use it for the most is just keeping my phone in it so I can see if I have a call or not. If I need to take it I can stop and call the person back. I don't use a communicator but it is nice to know if I'm being called.

My one thing about tank bags is I have never met one that is waterproof. So just take that into consideration.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 05:10 PM

Garage
Just a thought. What is you found a tank bag you really liked. It doesn't matter if it fits the versys correctly, the magnetic mounting points can be on the plastics. Then fit the bag on the bike like you would put it every time.. Now the tool requiring part. Use some tape or what not to mark around the points where the magnets are on the plastics.. Take the plastics off and Tape the magnets on the back side of the plastic. MAKE sure the magnetic orientation is correct so they attract not REPEL.. Fit the plastics in place. Test the fit so those magnets are not hitting anything. Test the bag.. If all is well Glue the magnets in place fully reassemble and Its happy riding now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
luggage, tank bag

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode