Ram Mount X-Mount - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ram Mount X-Mount

I picked up one for my Samsung Galaxy S4 yesterday and bolted it on last night. I have the Lifeproof case for my phone and it added lot of bulk to the phone BUT the X-Mount was able to hold on tight. I still need to play around with where I want to mount it at, I got a kit that mount the ball and arm to the bars. I need to run to Wally World and pick up a USB to socket adaptor.

It's a bit clumsy with gloves on but I think I saw a little bottle of "Paint" you and apply to a fingertip to get the phone to pick up the taps a bit better. I did about 100 miles and no problem other and I was running out of juice at the end without a power tap. GSP and My Tracks are hard on the battery.

This was NOT the cheapest way of mounting the phone BUT if I get a real GPS I can use the ball and arm to mount it and pocket the phone.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93199

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Well I'm saving to buy a new Olympia Ranger jacket now. My old Fieldshear Aqua Tour is really showing it's age, years of hard wear have taken their toll. Plus the KLR will need new rubber soon. So I'll have to get by with the Galaxy and the app I found that lets me download maps just like a real GPS so even without a cell tower I can still ups the GPS function. Anyway I don't use a GPS all that much only once or twice a year. NOW tires and a GOOD coat I'll use daily!

2012 650 Versys

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 06:39 PM

I have the X mount, a short arm, and the bar clamp bolt replacement ball. I love it, I have the Droid Maxx and an otterbox case which is about as big as the phone can be and still work in the mount.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

I almost bought that set up but got a deal on the Galaxy. I looked at the Otterbox and that is NOT a phone case...it's a Suitcase! Of course the Lifeproof isn't a tiny little thing either.

2012 650 Versys
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 11:34 AM

I've got that X-mount thing too. I don't trust it on gravel roads at any kind of speed. My phone (Sony Z1) starts slipping down bit by bit, so I just pocket it until the next paved section.

Are there any better alternatives for a more secure grip? I had a ram mount with six plastic fingers that grab all four sides of the phone - worked perfectly and very secure, but it wasn't big enough for the Z1...

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

|
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 11:24 PM

Ram has a different mount that grabs on all sides. Not as elegant as the x mount but looks much less prone to slippage.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode