techspec grip pads for versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
techspec grip pads for versys

has anyone tried these? I just bought the 5 piece pack, off the ebay site. they have a -make offer- option-- buy it now is 59.95 for the snakeskin. I offered 49.95 which was accepted. which leaves me wondering of course, how much lower of an offer they might have accepted. normally I start very low and come up if needed. if anyone wants to order a set can you post how cheap you got them. so I will know how bad I did or didn't get screwed---not that it matters--just curious

http://techspec-usa.com/magento/inde...skin-3400.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TechSpec-Tan...ecac6f&vxp=mtr

Last edited by dspark52; 03-01-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 09:29 PM

Garage
I bought a sheet of TechSpec and I cut it to fit. The material I have is a thinner gauge than the one above. It was easy to cut and place on the painted surface, but the adhesive never held well on the plastic guards. Too bad really because that is the most effective placement.

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage

That's a lot of money for just non slip pads. Generic non slip rubber pad kits are ~$15 on Ebay and Amazon. My Olympia XMoto motorcycle pants have grippy leather on the inside of the knees for same purpose. You would have to be a giant to need the upper level pads glued to the side of the tank. I'm 6ft and my knees would only reach the lower pads in the picture.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-01-2014 at 10:18 PM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

That's a lot of money for just non slip pads. Generic non slip rubber pad kits are ~$15 on Ebay and Amazon. My Olympia XMoto motorcycle pants have grippy leather on the inside of the knees for same purpose. You would have to be a giant to need the upper level pads glued to the side of the tank. I'm 6ft and my knees would only reach the lower pads in the picture.

yeah, theres no getting around the fact that they are overpriced. I just liked the looks of them. would have liked them even better at about $25.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

well, I put on the 4 side grips. my legs cover almost all of them when im sitting on the bike.should help keep me from sliding back on the seat. I want to remove some or all of the one that came with the bike in the middle of the tank, so I can use my new one.. I think it was put on upside down. not sure how much of a mess that will leave. has anyone here ever removed one of these?------------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 076.jpg (47.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 102.jpg (77.6 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by dspark52; 03-02-2014 at 01:56 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 02:09 PM

I think they look really cool. I like the way the texture kind of flows with the seat cover too.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
I think they look really cool. I like the way the texture kind of flows with the seat cover too.
im thinking I can trim some off the center one(it is upside down-I looked at the photo on the website-center tank grip#4 ) and then put the new one right above it------
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

photos from techspec website. 2nd photo is a chin protector. I don't recall ever feeling the need to rest my chin on the front of the gas tank. is this a pretty common riding position for the rest of you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg center tank protector #4.jpg (4.9 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg chin pad.jpg (93.1 KB, 130 views)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspark52 View Post
photos from techspec website. 2nd photo is a chin protector. I don't recall ever feeling the need to rest my chin on the front of the gas tank. is this a pretty common riding position for the rest of you?

the chin protector is if you have a highly horny girlfriend riding with you. She knows the position.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
the chin protector is if you have a highly horny girlfriend riding with you. She knows the position.
dang, that thought never crossed my mind, and it seems so obvious now---cant believe I missed that------
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 03:59 PM

Garage
Here's a pic of mine with the TechSpec on the tank and on the plastic guard. It's that lower piece that didn't want to stay stuck on the textured plastic.

This is a better view of the grips that are still on. They are handy for gripping the top leg when your in a good lean, and they are great for keeping your butt in the seat over RR tracks and such. They are in the perfect spot to grip in with your knees when you find yourself needing to stand on the pegs. That came in really handy for some camping roads and backwoods gravel out in Nova Scotia last year.

*** I still have material to make one more set like you see above, if anyone is interested shoot me a PM***

Always trust your cape.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

that's a good looking ride you got there. never saw that color before.-----
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Probably... IF you ride a crotch-rocket...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 07:43 PM

Garage
I have the 5 piece pad and its awesome. It helps when you grip the tanks with the thigh and stopping you from sliding to the front.

To ATYC....very nice Kwifasfaki...ahhahahaha.... cheers.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 08:57 PM

I have them on my Versys. The 5 piece.

They are kind of useless with my nodded seat (a bit lower) and with my lowered foot pegs.

Oh well, they look great!

Hooligan
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Call me a rube, but I went on their site and paid full price. Nice product, and to my understanding they can be removed and used again.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have the Tech Spec on my trackbike. The grip is good. Me personally? I don't need it for the street. It's purpose is to provide grip for your outside leg against the tank when hanging off the bike. Still, it would prevent scratches on a street bike...

Anyway, if applied properly, it stays put!
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
Call me a rube, but I went on their site and paid full price. Nice product, and to my understanding they can be removed and used again.
well, I certainly wouldn't say that you paid a "ridiculous selling price" and I definitely wouldn't "dub that a bad deal " for you. but I will say that you "really wanted those grip pads"---------no wait-- I cant say that either-----------just kidding---inside joke----

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=50818

I am pretty sure we both paid more than they are worth. but as far as I know, there is no other place to get them, at a better price. one thing I know for sure, I've pissed away a lot more money than that(literally) in bars when I was younger, and didn't have nothing to rub my leg against the next day----
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Probably... IF you ride a crotch-rocket...!

now that I understand the intended purpose of this item(thanks to weljo2001)---and congrats to techspec for their progressive outlook and understanding the importance of comfort for the passenger as well--------I think I can answer my own question---probably not very common---
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I just got this universal sheet off eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TechSpec-Tan...ec6d2b&vxp=mtr

For $40 shipped
They accepted my offer pretty quickly.
I am going to use it to make heel guard pads on the lower footrest mounts. As I have pretty large feet and use boots when I ride I KNOW my heels will be rubbing off the silver paint on those panels without something.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode