happy trails products - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
happy trails products

Does anyone have experience with Hapy Trails engine guard and or pannier & rack system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:39 PM

Got em, love em. Just count the nuts and bolts before you get started.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 09:20 PM

Got the package

I've got the Teton Pannier package that includes the engine guard and crash bars. I really like it and the setup was quick and easy for the most part. There is one pretty big problem that I encountered with the guard - the bar runs directly beneath the oil drain plug, so every time that I change the oil, I have to remove the bash plate and loosen the bars and mounts on that side so that I can get the plug out.
Here's a link to a series that I did on the installation of the package:
http://griztrax.net/backroads/HappyT...stallation.htm

Other than the problem with the oil drain plug, I love the setup and the bars are really strong. It may be that HT has remedied the problem by now. All that it would take is a slight bend in the bar right where it runs beneath the plug.
Oh, one other very minor problem is that I have a fender extender on the Vee. If I hit a sharp bump, the extender sometimes lodges behind the top of the bash plate. It's easy to dislodge - just slow down and turn the bars a little to pop it loose, but it's pretty disconcerting the first time that you experience it. I'm going to put a small extension on top of the bash plate to take care of the problem.
Good luck - I'd still buy the package from Happy Trails that I got, even with the above-mentioned problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 04:39 PM

I know this is late but it may help someone else. I have had the Happy Trails rack and panniers for a couple of months and 4000 miles. I'm a photojournalist and I cover events all over the Eastern part of the U.S. and do this by bike. My camera gear and computer has been safe and dry and I've been in some hard rain and rode one day in a light rain that just soaks everything. The rack went on easy but the blinker extenders had no instructions and it slowed down a job that should have only taken 1/2 hour. They go on and come off easy and are really well engineered. For the price they are an unbelievable value much like the bike. The TraX and rear rack from motech cost as much as the rack and panniers from HT! The over priced TraX rear trunk not only leaked but was holding standing water one morning after a nights rain at a motel. I am not impressed with the Trax but love the Happy Trails.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:28 PM

I had the Happy-Trail setup on my KLR and they make good stuff.

I currently have the TraX setup on my Versys, and I like it as well even if it cost around $200 more for the rig.

I've not had a leaking problem on either setup and the main reason I went for the TraX setup was the ability to strip everything off in minutes.

Maloy

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 Versys (lost in head on collision 07-05-2010)
'86 Honda XL500 (wrecked RIP)
'08 KLR650
'00 Vulcan Classic Fi 1500cc
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 08:35 AM

TRAX boxes....great!

After having TRAX boxes on my KLR/Tiger I would strongly recommend them. You will pay some extra $$$ for them but you will find it worth it.
The fit perfect...come off quickly...and the mounting system is first class.

The old addage...you get what you pay for.

I have nothing to do with Twisted Throttle except I spend a lot of $$$ there...and the service is excellent!!!

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 10:10 AM

Here’s a good endorsement of Trax boxes without saying a word.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 02:58 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgraham View Post
Here’s a good endorsement of Trax boxes without saying a word.

and that's why they give you the waterproof bags....

However a little silicone window sealant on the seams inside the boxes makes them pretty water tight...at least mine haven't leaked and I use the dry bags when I have stuff in them that really needs to stay dry just to be sure but I would have probably done that anyway. Reason, if its pouring and I open the box..my stuff still stays dry.

I have been happy with the Trax boxes, others have not, TTs CS is top notch. That goes a long way.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 03:05 PM

Yep thats what they told me at Trax when I bitched, "heres a nice set of waterproof bags"....for that kind of money they should not leak. Ive never had a drop of water inside my HPs and they are half the cost.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 02:19 AM

Love my HP's. Have used them in torrential down-pour with no issues and no leaks.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 11:35 AM

Anybody have any thoughts in regards to the side racks between Happy Trails and EVO racks.....I am mounting Seahorse case on them....leaning to the EVo because they come off when not in use....

Dan
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wistrick View Post
Anybody have any thoughts in regards to the side racks between Happy Trails and EVO racks.....I am mounting Seahorse case on them....leaning to the EVo because they come off when not in use....

Dan
I have the Happy Trails Teton Pannier set up... I am really pleased with their quality! Their pannier side rack is bullet proof, very stout & easy to install. I like the wrap around bumper & mulitple anchor points. Even if I didn't have their boxes I'd use their rack. Their mounting pucks & rack will work with any box or case or even soft bags.

KJ

2013 Suzuki V-Strom
2013 Honda CRF 250L
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650-ADV
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2008 Yamaha TW200
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan
1979 Suzuki GS425 (long gone)

Last edited by Kankujoe; 11-13-2011 at 11:20 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 06:49 PM

TraX is definitely the choice if you want something that looks 'cool', and can be opened by a preschool child with a small screwdriver.

Cheap-ass lock system for the price.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wistrick View Post

Dan
I have Seahorse cases mounted to the EVO rack with Happy Trails mounting pucks. I found the installation to be easy and the setup to be solid.

- James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode