Sargent or Seat Concepts - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sargent or Seat Concepts

Have not seen anything in the last couple of years on replacement seats. All comments welcome on your takes on these after market seats. Have an 08 V and wanted to try one of the lowered sets instead of putting on a lowering unit.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 09:38 AM

I like my Sargent, but it's the regular height one. Sargent makes quality products.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I've had 7 seats on the Versys. Never a Sargent. But the Seat Concepts Seat was the last and current one on the bike. I really didn't think it would be any good being so cheap price wise. Well i was wrong it got rid of the forward slide better than the way more pricey seats and it was very comfortable.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I have a "Spencer Mod" seat on my '08, and it's PDG! He exchanges some seat foam for better foam.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I ran a Sargent saddle for a season. Really really enjoyed it!
Sold it to a member on here for what I got it for. The Sargent saddle raises you up a bit height wise. Didn't bother me in the slightest. But I really liked my stock modded saddle as well.

Had to consolidate the moto parts, and the Sargent was easier to sell than the stock saddle so it had to go. Now I rock my stock saddle with memory foam insert with my invaluable Alaskan Sheep Skin pad. (It has been on every bike that I've owned for the last 3 years)

If you are thinking about picking up a new saddle, try the sheep skin pad first.
You will not regret it! It is the best upgrade I have done to any of my bikes except suspension work.

Versys Sheep Skin Pad

Picture of the "Natural long hair" sheep skin pad on my V

You will also get, "Wtf is that? Got a buffalo on that thing?" comments all the time. Hahaha

Hooligan
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Seat Concepts comment

WEljo2001, thanks for your comments as usual. I have contacted Seat Concepts and they state that their seat is acually about 1" higher than the the stock saddle. How did you find it fit, and am curious on what you height and inseam are. Also, I can't remember if you have a lowering kit.

rayj
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

My problem is that I would like to go just a little lower without putting in a lowering kit, and thought that getting the "lowered" version Sargent might be the way to go.

With regards to that beast that you're sitting on, does it ever bite?

rayj
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 05:26 PM

Garage
Seat Concepts: frugal, and the foam is perfect for my skinny arse. I have loaned my V to two friends, long time riders both, for a day tour in hot weather and they raved about the comfort, so I'm not alone in my opinion. I have a very early version, and I am thinking about shaving a bit of foam at the thigh area to relieve a wee bit of pressure that I noticed last summer, due to a bit of "thickening" of the thighs (nothing whatsoever to do with weight gain, I don't believe it for a minute).

We are all different shapes and sizes, so what works for me might not work for you. Ideally it would be good if you could swap seats with another V rider to try a different brand. You're welcome to ride up here to test ride mine, although it might turn in to an extended tour!

Last edited by Smiley; 02-18-2014 at 05:29 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
My problem is that I would like to go just a little lower without putting in a lowering kit, and thought that getting the "lowered" version Sargent might be the way to go.

With regards to that beast that you're sitting on, does it ever bite?
In that case, I would take your stock saddle to a local custom upholstery shop. Tell them that you'd like to take 1/2"-1" off in height. It'd probably run you around 40-70 bucks.

I've tried tons of saddles on tons of bikes... Sargent is my favorite by far. Had one on my SV, CBR1000RR, and Versys. The Sargent saddle on the Versys uses a much heartier foam. Doesn't give as much as a stock saddle. Much more supportive.

Look at the Iron Butt Rally riders. Many many many of them use the sheep skin pad. It turns the moto saddle into a comfy couch!

Hooligan
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 07:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
WEljo2001, thanks for your comments as usual. I have contacted Seat Concepts and they state that their seat is acually about 1" higher than the the stock saddle. How did you find it fit, and am curious on what you height and inseam are. Also, I can't remember if you have a lowering kit.
I'm 6'2" 33"inseam but have a bad knee and hip so i lowered the bike last year to make it easier to throw a leg over. Check with a local upholster like mention above it might just do the trick.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Seat modification and other advice

Thanks for the ideas and reviews guys. I'm going to start with having the local car upholsrty guy I know do some cutting and sewing first.

On another matter, Weljo, I see you have the Powerbronze hugger. IYHO, do you think this is a better product than the ones by Pyramid that have the integrated chain guard?

rayj
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 09:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the ideas and reviews guys. I'm going to start with having the local car upholsrty guy I know do some cutting and sewing first.

On another matter, Weljo, I see you have the Powerbronze hugger. IYHO, do you think this is a better product than the ones by Pyramid that have the integrated chain guard?

there was a thread a good while back that i couldn't find about problems with those huggers. I've had the PowerBronze on mine since 2010 no issues and i like the looks. I put an aluminum chain guard on mine to get rid of the ****ty stock guard.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 03:45 PM

I absolutely love my Sargent, build quality is also top notch
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 07:54 PM

Seat concepts is nice and a big improvement over stock. See this thread, don't let the title scare you off from reading it: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20355

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 08:32 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamlegend21087 View Post
I absolutely love my Sargent, build quality is also top notch
Any chance you could post a few photos?

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 08:39 AM

I have the Pyramid hugger. The plastic seems cheap, and it's actually two pieces glued together. Since I have a lowering link, the undertray came in contact with the hugger and broke it (not Pyramid's fault). I increased preload so it doesn't happen again. I was able to fix my hugger with glue and zip ties!

I like the look, the lines match great with the front fender. But the plastic seems kinda cheesy, and I don't like the fact that it's two pieces glued together. Other combo hugger/chain guards I've purchased in the past for other bikes were one piece.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Thx for the input HondaGalToo. With all the farkles and upgrades Weljo 2001 made to his V over the years, if the PowerBronze was good enough for him, it is certainly good enough for me.

rayj
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Thx for the input HondaGalToo. With all the farkles and upgrades Weljo 2001 made to his V over the years, if the PowerBronze was good enough for him, it is certainly good enough for me.
If mine falls apart, the Powerbronze is on my short list. It doesn't have an integrated chain guard, but that might make it a bit easier to fit with the lowering link. I had to cut quite a bit to get the Pyramid to fit, but it does look nice. Too bad I broke it!
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Were you able to fit it over the tire to install it, or did you hve to take the rer tire off?

rayj
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 03:31 PM

Garage
If you install an lowering link. Hers how you'll need to cut the PowerBronze Hugger...

IMG_3275 by weljo2001, on Flickr

This side does not need to be cut but you can see where the cut ended.

IMG_3276 by weljo2001, on Flickr

My Chain Guard...

Untitled by
weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode