Best replacement mirrors - post pics please! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Best replacement mirrors - post pics please!

As a potential Versys owner, I was wondering what the BEST mirrors are to replace the stock mirrors with? I have seen only 1 or 2 photos of the replacements that owners have mounted and was hoping all those who have replaced the stockers would be willing to chime in with what they have installed and post picstures. Thanks ahead of time.

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 06:12 AM

These are my Z1000 mirrors. I had the bike fall over on it's right side and I had to buy a replacement anyway so I decided to replace both. I really like them with the mirror extenders. I have no problem seeing what behind me now.

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 07:59 AM

What year z1000? Do you know the part #?

GelSeat
HB Engine Bars
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shad 40 Trunk w/Top Rack
Shad Topmaster Bracket
Motowerk Mirror Extenders
Motowerk Standard Flatfoot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 AM

Here's what I just bought and installed based on a recommendation by Bones from the board. I'm very happy with them, 100% improvement over the OEM junk. Also added the mirror extenders at the same time.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...fCatId=&mmyId=

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 09:02 AM

JimJim- what kind of grips are those? They look a bit fatter then the stock ones.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawson View Post
JimJim- what kind of grips are those? They look a bit fatter then the stock ones.
Sunline Grand Touring Grips
http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...Code=Hand-Cont

The small diameter of the stock grips fatigued my hands. You have to cut the ends off of these grips in order to install the bar end weights but easy to do with a new razor blade.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 06:41 PM

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJim View Post
Here's what I just bought and installed based on a recommendation by Bones from the board. I'm very happy with them, 100% improvement over the OEM junk. Also added the mirror extenders at the same time.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...fCatId=&mmyId=
I just got the same mirrors except mine are all black. Sorry, no pics yet because I'm waiting for some mirror extenders and a new windshield first. I ordered from Dennis Kirk as well. $11.99 per mirror. They are great.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 04:48 AM

Hi Skeezix,

Have Speedy's Motowerks extenders and Z1000 mirrors.
Far better than OEM, less vibe, better rear vision and clear after 3000 rpms.

IMO, use a spring washer for the mirror extender bolt with some loctite.

Check out KTM mirrors at http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=45&topic=6021.0[/url]
Also Ducati integrated turn signal/mirror at http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=2528.0
Browse http://www.cyccon.com/cycp/Mirror-Sp...cati-2007.html. You have to conform which would fit but see Ducati multistrada and Monster.
Can't be sure but heard F800gs mirror might fit our V.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Last edited by stlee29; 08-28-2009 at 05:21 AM.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 04:26 PM

mirror choices

I read in another thread that the BMW f800gs mirrors may fit as well, my friend has that bike and those mirrors are very nice. Just lookoing at them next to eachother they look like they will fit, i plan on trying it just to see. However they are probably a much more expensive option than the Z1000 with extenders.. I think i am going to replace mine with the Z1000, everyone seems to like them so far. I have to do something because the OEM mirrors are absolutely horrible, I can't see behind me and they move all over the place.. big saftey issue to me.. really is my only complaint about the bike so far.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 05:27 PM

The Z1000 mirrors look identical to the stock mirrors except for the mirror shape. Same base and bolt set up. Am I right?
If so, why are these working where the stock ones won't?
Loctite on my left mirror, still hasn't come loose again. At least not yet.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 06:28 PM

Some people seem to have luck with loctite some do not.. i will certainly try it, thanks for the positive feedback on the loctite.. my bigger problem is my very limited view to things behind me (have fiddled with all different positions) .. maybe that is standard for motorcycle mirrors, and hopefully the extenders will correct that.. i can say the f800gs mirrors are much better in direct rear visibilty, so i know it is possible..
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 07:20 PM

On a ride this past holiday weekend at one time traveling at around 5000rpms the road was right and the view almost clear, caught me off guard. Until I find the perfect set up for the V, I have found out that I just back off the throttle and pull in the cluthc for a second, vibration gone, view clear, can see it's not a cop, and throttle back up, here comes the twisties. May not be the correct way to view out your mirror but it seems to work.
I used the blue loctite and let it sit over night. I also made sure the extenders were inline with the handlebars so as not to catch as much wind flat on. I 've noticed with this angle, even the mirrors stay in place better.

Good luck and welcome aboard jvherc!!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy49 View Post
On a ride this past holiday weekend at one time traveling at around 5000rpms the road was right and the view almost clear, caught me off guard. Until I find the perfect set up for the V, I have found out that I just back off the throttle and pull in the cluthc for a second, vibration gone, view clear, can see it's not a cop, and throttle back up, here comes the twisties. May not be the correct way to view out your mirror but it seems to work.
I used the blue loctite and let it sit over night. I also made sure the extenders were inline with the handlebars so as not to catch as much wind flat on. I 've noticed with this angle, even the mirrors stay in place better.

Good luck and welcome aboard jvherc!!
Thanks.. I just got a blue '09 a couple of months ago.. what a fun bike, it is also my first bike and i feel lucky choosing it. I have ordered extenders to start and will try that and the loctite with the OEM mirrors.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 09:08 AM

I will post pics later, another great set of mirrors that bolt right into the versys. Aprilia Tuono Mirrors $21.00 each from a Aprilia dealer. They very barely vibrate, once you tighten the bolt, the stems do not move, they have a great rear view. They have a lower profile to.
http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...idproduct=3051
http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...38/272812.html
http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=41392
The Ermax tail kit and fender hugger go together nicely
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0913090737.jpg (275.4 KB, 966 views)
File Type: jpg 0913090737a.jpg (232.3 KB, 786 views)
File Type: jpg 0913090737c.jpg (257.0 KB, 742 views)
AdventureSeeker likes this.

Last edited by ZiLT; 09-13-2009 at 08:07 PM.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 01:29 PM

Sounds good thanks...
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 10:02 PM

,, and ZiLT.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJim
Based on this recommendation, I got these in black and put them and the Motowerk extenders on today. I love the visibility. They do fuzz a bit at 55 or so, but the setup is so much better than stock. I'm very happy with the result.

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20091005_07_EmgoMirror.jpg (50.2 KB, 304 views)

Last edited by hdatontodo; 10-05-2009 at 08:38 PM.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 11:26 AM

I posted the other day in the performance forum "another mirror option" my Kawasaki ER-6N mirror install, I like them alot, less vibes!

These mirrors get away from the poor design of the stock and z1000 mirrors i.e. stack of washers on a tiny threaded stud.

Rob
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 10:14 PM

Here are some signal mirrors I got off ebay a couple months ago. like them mush better than the stock and are a bit lower and have a more sport look. The were only $39.99. The dont move in the wind either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNC00034.jpg (234.2 KB, 991 views)
File Type: jpg SNC00030-1.jpg (265.1 KB, 675 views)

RedRiguez

Life is short, Live every day like its your last....

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 08:42 AM

Certainly the better looking option ZILT. Can I ask where have you bolted your GPS? Could you post a picture of it pls?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode