Passenger backrest - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Passenger backrest

I'm sure this has been covered, but does anyone have a suggestion on an easily removeable backrest that could be attached to the handles on the rear of the seat? I don't want a rack and my wife only rides with me on occasion. Does such an accessory exist?

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 05:42 PM

not that i know of
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 05:49 PM

I'm in the same boat but I haven't seen or heard of one yet.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 07:29 PM

Nothing here either. Only option is a Corbin with the optional backrest. However, @ $670 (10% or the original bike cost) it's a very expensive accesory. I'm surprise no one have come up with one.

Speedy are you reading? The Corbin backrest retails for $229 and only works with the Corbin seat @ $440. Good opportunity here.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 10:26 PM

there are a couple of different threads about this. One started by me and another started by Kknob, Kknob actually talked to Speedy and things are keeping him busy enough with motowerks that he won't have time to get around to looking it a backrest/sissybar mod until later in the fall.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 09:24 PM

Home made backrest for Corbin seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Nothing here either. Only option is a Corbin with the optional backrest. However, @ $670 (10% or the original bike cost) it's a very expensive accesory. I'm surprise no one have come up with one.

Speedy are you reading? The Corbin backrest retails for $229 and only works with the Corbin seat @ $440. Good opportunity here.

First of all, I realize my solution is pretty redneck. Secondly, though I normally appreciate any and all safety advice, please hold any comments you may have about the "unsafe" nature of my mod, as I've tested it and deemed it to be safe enough for my intended purpose. With that, I offer you my zero-cost, hillbilly backrest. Made in my own garage with scraps of material that I had lying around, in under an hour.

HandKPhil
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 09:28 PM

that is mounted to a corbin, correct?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 09:31 PM

Hillbilly backrest

I took a piece of I-beam shaped aluminum extrusion that I had lying around, and stuck it in the hole in the back of my Corbin seat. It was just a little too big to fit into the hole, but I hit the flange sides of it with my orbital sander for a few minutes, and took off enough material to make it fit very, very snugly into the hole. I then chopped off a piece of it about 8" long, to use as the "stem" of my backrest.

HandKPhil
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 09:49 PM

More on hillbilly backrest construction

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures as I was crafting this masterpiece, so for those who may be interested I'll describe the process. After making the stem, I cut about 5.5" off of a treated 2x4 that I had lying around. I then turned that 5.5" piece of 2x4 onto it's 1.625" wide side, and marked it in the center. Next I placed one end of my aluminum extrusion onto this mark, and whacked it with a hammer to make an I-beam shaped indentation in the wood. Then I used a small drill bit to drill the I-beam shape out of the wood piece, to a uniform depth of 2", making sure the drilled out shape was smaller than the actual extrusion, to ensure a very tight fit. After that I filled the hole in the wood with marine epoxy and hammered the stem into the hole. It was a very, very tight fit, and that extrusion won't be coming out of the wood any time soon. Next I wrapped the wooden head of the backrest with foam and covered the whole thing with waterproof duct tape. If I get motivated in the future, I'll make a vinyl cover that looks a little better. The backrest goes down into the hole in the seat about 2.5", and fits very, very snugly. I can remove it at will, but it takes a dedicated effort. It won't be "popping out" by itself. My rider loves it, and feels much safer when we go on our evening rides.

HandKPhil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode