Trax Cases - Do Your's LEAK? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Trax Cases - Do Your's LEAK?

I replaced my Givi E21's with a set of Trax sidecases (37l) and added a new Trax topcase. After I mounted them (and packed them for a weekend trip), one of our "normal" 4:00 pm thundershowers dumped on my parked Versys and I found out that all my tools were sitting in standing water (left side case), my spare clothes were damp (minor drip in right side case) and my topcase had a small rivlet of water down the side that gathered in a corner.

Sent all 3 cases back to the US distributor for replacement.

Installed the 2nd set-same thing!

Anybody else have this problem. I've checked a couple of other motorcycle forums and found some similar occurances. I even emailed the manufacturer (no surprise-no response). Except for the leakage issue the cases are great, but I've got to do something about the leakage.

Looking for some tried fixes if anyone has any.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trax LH Case Open_pooled water in corner.jpg (219.0 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg Parked 060409.jpg (96.5 KB, 288 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 07:52 PM

I recently put the Trax boxes on, but have not been in any rain that amounted to much.

I have washed them with my pressure washer, and haven't noticed any leaks.

I will wash them harder next time and pay special attention to any leaks. I will try that tomorrow, and let you know if I have a leak.

I you have had two sets and both leaked, I wouldn't be surprised if mine leak as well. Hope not!!

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 08:40 AM

A2RON,

Wish i had a set of them!!! Can you meet some time i would really like to see what they look like in person on another V. Isnt there some sort of gasket on the lid? is it torn or is there a hinge adjustment to force it to seal better? Add some weather stripping around the top sealing area?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

eggejm11-The lid gasket appears fine. There is side to side play between the lid and bottoms so I take extra care when I latch them. I leaked checked all three cases in my bathtub and they apprear to be leaking from the plastic corner pieces (the topcase also leaked at the bottom-rack lock rivet).

I'm considering silicon'ing up the corners or some other sealant but wanted to see if anyone else had a problem and could offer suggestions first.

I'd be happy to let you see them, we'll have to set up a meet.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 11:01 AM

I also had a small puddle in my left bag after a storm. The right side stayed dry and I have no top case.

I'm planning a two week cross country trip soon so I better take care of sealing up the leak before I go. I'll do a bathtub check tonight.

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro"-- I came, I saw, I stuck around.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 01:38 PM

I checked mine today. I used the hose, and gave them a good drenching, putting lots of water on the gasket, and all the corners.

I had a little water in each bag that came from the corners. Nothing from the gasket. The top corners seemed to be ok, it was the lower corners that leaked, although not very much at all.

I caulked all the corners, both top and bottom with silicone. I caulked both inside and outside. Inside I put it on fairly heavy, and smoothed it out with my finger. Outside, I put a fine bead around the seams and then forced the caulk into the seam with my finger and then wiped the excess away so nothing shows from the outside.

I'm sure that will fix any leak that I had. Glad I checked before I got things wet. Thanks for the heads up.

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode