Custom mounted tool case and some new farkles. *lots of pics* - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Custom mounted tool case and some new farkles. *lots of pics*

I recently added a pair of Givi E21's to the V. I liked the slim compact design but they were lacking in the amount of storage space they offered.. I also always carry a complete tool kit and mini air compressor/tire plugger kit where ever I go just in case. Since the E21s aren't that big, the tools/compressor take up about 1/3 to 1/2 of one case; thus I had to come up with a solution to make more space. The inside of the Givi E21 cases have a bunch of wasted space, so I figured I could make a custom bracket and mount some small pelican cases on the inside. Here are the results:

I used a Pelican 1120. Only ordered one because I wasn't sure if it was going to work.. but it did! So I ordered another case for the right side (to hold a Slime air compressor and Slime tire plugging kit.). I used the 1120 size but I think there's enough space for the next size up (1150) if you wanted to use slightly bigger size case. There's about 1-2" of horizontal clearance from where the tire would come up and the case, so no problems with rubbing.

Pelican 1120: http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1120

I drilled/tapped the case and threaded bolts through it. These bolts go through the brackets and are held into place with wing-nuts (and 2 mini bungees, but they're not really needed.)

I also recently added SW-Motech crash bars with a set of highway pegs, painted the side plastics black (Krylon Fuzion Matte black), an RK XSO gold chain, Rox 2" bar risers and custom tag relocation bracket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 03:16 PM

Nice.....just so I understand it, you remove the wing nuts and pull the case off the rack to access what's in it, right?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
Nice.....just so I understand it, you remove the wing nuts and pull the case off the rack to access what's in it, right?
Yup, remove wing nuts and the case lifts up and out.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 04:12 PM

I have the same bags with the same complaint with lack of storage space. It never ocurred to me to add boxes in that wasted space. Very cool idea! Thanks.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 04:50 PM

Like the idea. I had some Pelican on my KLR and I had Silconed the bolts on the inside of the case to avoid any water coming in and put a ruber washer between the case and the bracket to reduce vibration.
I think I'll go order Pelican cases now.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by actar911 View Post
Like the idea. I had some Pelican on my KLR and I had Silconed the bolts on the inside of the case to avoid any water coming in and put a ruber washer between the case and the bracket to reduce vibration.
I think I'll go order Pelican cases now.
I used loctite on the threaded case bolts. Shouldn't have any problems with water getting in.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 08:52 AM

OK, a couple questions. It looks like only the bottom of the Pelicans are supported, no attachment at the top. Doesn't the top of the boxes tend to wobble?
Also, what did you do about your turn signals? Thanks.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
OK, a couple questions. It looks like only the bottom of the Pelicans are supported, no attachment at the top. Doesn't the top of the boxes tend to wobble?
Also, what did you do about your turn signals? Thanks.
Once the wing nuts are tightened down the case remains very firmly mounted. I also added 2 bungees that wrap around, but I don't think they really do much other than peace of mind.

I currently have flushmount turn signals in the rear but they aren't visible enough. I ordered a set of stock 2008 ZX6R rear signals that are going to replace them.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 03:49 PM

does your bar touch the tankbag with those risers on full lock or is there some clearance
like to have mine up a bit more to but mine just clear the tankbag so not to sure if it will work for me
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjan View Post
does your bar touch the tankbag with those risers on full lock or is there some clearance
like to have mine up a bit more to but mine just clear the tankbag so not to sure if it will work for me
I think the bar end just barely touches the tank bag.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Received my second Pelican 1120 case today and got it installed. Holds my Slime air compressor and tire plugger kit perfectly.

Also installed/replaced a pair of Amber running lights in the headlight.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
nice setup...anyone ditch the front signals, and mount a set of aux lights in the signal mounts and use those little lights in the headlight for signal lights yet?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 08:38 PM

That is a nice setup. Which mounting brackets for the Givis are you using?

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by potus2012 View Post
That is a nice setup. Which mounting brackets for the Givis are you using?
Givi PL447 Tubular Sidecase Racks

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/4320/652/
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 05:34 PM

Well, I got my new Pelicans mounted and it turned out great. Those little cases are a perfect fit behind the Givi boxes. I ended up mounting things just a little differently. I just used a small bracket made from a piece of aluminum strap on the bottom. The pic shows a nut holding the case to the bracket but it's since been replaced with a nylock wingnut. I also used a hoseclamp to secure the Pelican handle to the upper bar of the Givi frame. So I still need a screwdriver or 5/16" nutdriver to remove the clamp but otherwise no tools are needed to get access. I suppose there are a variety of ways to make the mount but this is what I ended up with. Thanks a bunch for the idea - I really like it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010001 (2).JPG (65.5 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg P1010002 (2).JPG (60.1 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg P1010014 (2).JPG (58.8 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg P1010015 (2).JPG (54.7 KB, 317 views)

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
Well, I got my new Pelicans mounted and it turned out great. Those little cases are a perfect fit behind the Givi boxes. I ended up mounting things just a little differently. I just used a small bracket made from a piece of aluminum strap on the bottom. The pic shows a nut holding the case to the bracket but it's since been replaced with a nylock wingnut. I also used a hoseclamp to secure the Pelican handle to the upper bar of the Givi frame. So I still need a screwdriver or 5/16" nutdriver to remove the clamp but otherwise no tools are needed to get access. I suppose there are a variety of ways to make the mount but this is what I ended up with. Thanks a bunch for the idea - I really like it!
Nice! Same size case (1120)?
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xo0oM View Post
Nice! Same size case (1120)?
Yes, I'm honestly not sure if I could have squeezed in anything larger. The 1120 is a very good fit.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 09:43 PM

Any concerns about the cases interfering with the chain guide and/or chain if the suspension bottoms out?

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 10:48 AM
psc

Here is a different option: I use the tractor manual tube (~$5 ea). The picture shows one installed on the left, below my Pelicans and on the SW Motech frame. The other one is going onto the right side. One side for tools, the other side for a bottle of whisky. Snug and secure. BTW, the whisky test was successful after 1200 miles: slip fit and nary a drop was lost.

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Any concerns about the cases interfering with the chain guide and/or chain if the suspension bottoms out?

Dave C
That's a very good question Dave, and one that I hadn't considered. I took a close look at it just now and I still don't know the answer. There is 5 1/4" clearance between the bottom of the pelican and the top of the chain guard. I don't know if the suspension would compress that far. If it did though, there is still a chance that the box would slip just barely to the outside of the guard. The guard could always be removed I guess but I don't think that's a good idea. The chain itself is definitely out of the way. I'll let you know if I run into any problems.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode