Kaoko Throttle Control installed - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Kaoko Throttle Control installed

So I recieved my shipment of farkle today from Adventure MotoStuff (http://www.amotostuff.com). In this thread I'll comment on the Kaoko Throttle Control. (http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/...ode=versys_650)

I paid $110 USD for it, shipping was accurate and quick. The reason I chose the Kaoko throttle control was because there haven't been many easily available controls which Versys riders have recommended, and the comments from BMW 1200 riders have been good. (quality, effectiveness, etc...) I'm planning for a trip to NewFoundLand on the east coast here in Canada next year (a 5700km round trip tour!) and since I was ordering a bunch of parts I thought I would toss the control in.

For those who don't know exactly what a throttle control is, its basically a handle bar weighted end, much like the existing ends but has a gear (or grip) you can grip when twisting the throttle. Twisting the gear in the same direction as you would to accelerate makes the gear screw inside and press against the throttle grip, holding it in place. When you decelerate simply grip the gear with your pinky to unscrew it and release the hold. Note that it doesn't "lock" the throttle but it will definitely hold it open! Even if you don't loosen the gear, you can force the throttle if needed.

The control installs easy enough. The control is basically a weighted replacement end and a sort of washer. Unscrew with the allen key in the tool pouch, slide the washer on (note the washer has an inner ring sticking out, that side goes against the throttle grip!) and stick the weighted end on. Just screw the original bold back on and you're done.

I took it out for a quick ride on the highway for an exit and found it did as advertised. Though I'm not super jazzed about it now, I know my right arm will be thanking me come next year. (and this year and the year after next year)

I'm certain you can find a cheaper control but the Kaoko works, which some ebay deal might not. I can't see some cheap plastic holding the throttle in place and can image decelerating unexpectedly with you hand off the throttle could result in an accident. I guess as usual you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2843.JPG (34.2 KB, 1064 views)

- 2008 Versys: H&B Cage, Kona Throttle Lock, Fenda-Extenda, Givi Windscreen, Givi Monorack/V46, and Motorwerk Lowering Kit
- 2002 Ninja EX250-H13: Nothing! They don't make accessories for the H13...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 10:08 PM

That looks great!

when it's not in use does it impede the twisting of the throttle at all?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Not at all. I've been riding with it for a couple of days now and it doesn't accidentally get twisted on during normal use.

- 2008 Versys: H&B Cage, Kona Throttle Lock, Fenda-Extenda, Givi Windscreen, Givi Monorack/V46, and Motorwerk Lowering Kit
- 2002 Ninja EX250-H13: Nothing! They don't make accessories for the H13...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 05:13 PM
vp7

I was wondering if you could use this throttle control with the barbuster VPS handguard or if you would have to use the Storm Handguards.

Thanks
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 05:29 PM

I've been using the Kaoko for a year or more and love it. Quality product, easy to install, does what it's supposed to do. Relatively cheap way to give your right arm a break on those long runs. GET ONE!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 10:19 AM

+1

It is expensive, but the Kaoko is the best throttle control I have ever used. Easy to use, adjust, and completely unobtrusive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode