Planning Trips on Zumo 550 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
versysred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bridgeton, NJ
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
Planning Trips on Zumo 550

I have installed a Zumo 550 on a Speedy Mount and now want to learn how to Pre-program Road trips into the Zumo, Anyone have this knowledge that can steer me in the right direction ?

P.S. I highly recommend the Speedy GPS mounts, they now can be ordered Pre-drilled for the most populat GPS Models.
versysred is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator
 
Bear on a bicycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Converse, Tx
Posts: 4,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lucky devil!! I want one of those!

Huh, I just noticed you live in Jersey. Does that make you the Jersey devil???






Bear on a bicycle is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Smiths Station Alabama
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1 for Speedys mount. I have a Nuvi 760 that I mounted inside a small Pelican case with a clear front.

To God be the glory.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Badwolf is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Member
 
brothercannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central VT
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I want a Zumo so but have yet to purchase one. So keep in mind, I'm taking my best guess at this. I thought you could plan your route on Google maps and then you could send it to the Zumo. After I looked into it more closely you can only send destinations to to the Zumo if it is supported. First go down load this plug-in for your web browser. Here's the support page at garmin regarding the plug-in. Once it is installed go to either Google maps or Mapquest and plan your route. Then on each site there is a link to send it to the garmin. Here are a more through walk throughs.

http://gps.about.com/od/gpsmapschart...gle_garmin.htm

http://mashable.com/2008/04/01/garmi...maps-mapquest/

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/20...gle-video.html

I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for but I figure it can't hurt. My experience with gps devices that you usually have to program in way points to force it to take the route that you want. These devices are usually intended for people that know where they want to go but know how to get there. So the gps plans the route and user planed routes tend to be harder to configure. The garmin site seems to be a wealth of knowledge. That's where I'd go to learn the easiest way to plan a route on the Zumo.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brothercannon is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
versysred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bridgeton, NJ
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Lucky devil!! I want one of those!

Huh, I just noticed you live in Jersey. Does that make you the Jersey devil???


Yes I am a Jersey Devil, Actually I belong to the 177th Fighter Wing here is South Jersey. We fly F-16 Fighting Falcons. According to some Iraqi insurgents that were unlucky enough to meet us all members of the 177th are indeed Devils
versysred is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator
 
Bear on a bicycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Converse, Tx
Posts: 4,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by versysred View Post
Yes I am a Jersey Devil, Actually I belong to the 177th Fighter Wing here is South Jersey. We fly F-16 Fighting Falcons. According to some Iraqi insurgents that were unlucky enough to meet us all members of the 177th are indeed Devils

Here's to ya!!



A long time ago (in a galaxy far far away... no wait, wrong story... ), I was stationed at Shaw AFB in South Carolina. We were the Mighty Ducks, 309th FS, F-16 Fighting Falcons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/309th_Fighter_Squadron






Bear on a bicycle is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 11:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
just use the graphical routing tool found in Map Source which will come with your Zumo.

MS&T is a good planning tool and the routes can be easily transfered to Map Source.

Using Map Source you can ride the roads that you want to ride.
Mark Milanowski is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 02:48 AM
Member
 
healdem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Macclesfield, Cheshire, UK
Posts: 959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brothercannon View Post
I want a Zumo so but have yet to purchase one. So keep in mind, I'm taking my best guess at this. I thought you could plan your route on Google maps and then you could send it to the Zumo. After I looked into it more closely you can only send destinations to to the Zumo if it is supported. First go down load this plug-in for your web browser. Here's the support page at garmin regarding the plug-in. Once it is installed go to either Google maps or Mapquest and plan your route. Then on each site there is a link to send it to the garmin. Here are a more through walk throughs.

http://gps.about.com/od/gpsmapschart...gle_garmin.htm

http://mashable.com/2008/04/01/garmi...maps-mapquest/

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/20...gle-video.html

I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for but I figure it can't hurt. My experience with gps devices that you usually have to program in way points to force it to take the route that you want. These devices are usually intended for people that know where they want to go but know how to get there. So the gps plans the route and user planed routes tend to be harder to configure. The garmin site seems to be a wealth of knowledge. That's where I'd go to learn the easiest way to plan a route on the Zumo.
sorry
plan it on google maps.. thats just barking in my books
Garmin provide a piece of software called mapsource.. should have come with your Zumo. it also comes with a free update within the first 28 days of use of the Zumo. if you haven';t got the disk try downloading it from the garmin website.

it integrates with the GPS, allows you to plan routes download to the gps. will upload tracks & routes from the GPS so you can see where you've gone.

mapsource works with most Nuvi & Zumo models

I'm pretty certain that when you register your GPS on the garmin site there is then a downlaod section that comes available.

a word of warnign however if you are downlaoding maps in mapsource be prepared for a long long download IIRC it can be in excess of 400Mb
healdem is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Member
 
rponiarski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Westbury, NY
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
I have a Zumo 450 and use Mapsource to plan routes. You don't have to download any maps to the Zumo, just your routes and any waypoints you have created in Mapsource. This is my second Garmin, the last being a Quest. This is a much nicer unit and uses the latest Garmin maps...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rponiarski is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Member
 
hppyfngy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: under a rock in Crozet, VA
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If you aren't a member over here, you should check it out

excellent information available on Zumo and Mapsource

HFG aka Randy

There comes a time in every man's life when he has to get up off the couch and kill some zombies.
Caution: Happy Fun Guy may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Guy.

'08 Versys
'06 KLR650
'07 KLX250s
'04 KLX125L
hppyfngy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome