side rack question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
side rack question

will the side racks from kawi work with the rear rack from kawi. It says you can have one or the other . anyone know if this is true. also , do e21s work with the kaw oem side racks? Thanks

if it were easy....everyone would do it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 07:15 AM

I know the Kawi are the same as the Givi and yes you can have one or the other, but if you want the side racks only, you need an extra bracket to attach the rack under the seat. As for the cases, the kawi rack will only take the V35. If you want E21, you will need to go to a Givi rack (the regular and not the V35 rack) or another brand that will take Givi.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 08:50 AM

I have the Kawi v35 racks, E21's will not fit but i modified mine to fit. Worked great and a whole lot cheaper than buying new racks.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 08:57 AM

Kawi used a rear rack and side rack from two different manufacturers to make them ostensibly incompatible, to prevent their concurrent use, to prevent possible overloading, and therefore legal issues.

To answer your question, yes,they can be used together but, you must cut off and file smooth the integral metal grab handles that come as part of the Kawasaki (Givi made) side racks.
I happenned to prefer the design of the Kawasaki side racks over the SW-Motechs (and I got a good deal), so I have the Kawi side racks mounted with the Kawi rear rack (SW-Motech, it came with the bike).

E21's won't work with the Kawi side racks. The Kawi side racks are "PLX" side racks which mean they only work with the V35, undercut, side specific bags...this doesn't mean you can't modify things if you have the time and ingenuity...

The SW-Motech side-racks would probably give you the most flexibility. They have a quick disconnect option - Kawi racks are definitely not quick disconnect, but they also can't be removed by a thief, without a torch or hacksaw, anyways.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

truly helpful guys. so much better info than talking to a parts guy that does not quite understand. motech here I come. Hey Mahoney? can you send me a pic of how you modified the plx to fit the e21's

if it were easy....everyone would do it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 02:04 AM

I will try to get a picture asap.

Brief description though.

I am not good with metal but am good with wood. Wood was not my first choice but it worked for me. If i decide i do not like the wood my buddy can build anything out of metal. So at the very least i have a nice template for him. So far the wood and modification works great.

I took a 1x4, mounted it to the holes where the bottom stubs were originally on the rack, then lowered and spread the distance for the stubs and mounted them to the 1x4.
I am going to trim a little bit of wood off so if i decide to take the 21's off, it will not look redneckish. Oh, one more thing, i had to buy .5'' longer bolts for the locking tongues and space them out.

I then took rhino liner and coated the wood.

20 minutes tops to complete this, all you need is 22'' of 1x4 of choice and longer bolts. They come on and off like factory.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:22 PM

KMA, can you post some pictures? I'd like to see the mounting points, as that's something I might try. Thanks - Neil
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:54 PM

I will, i have been trying to get it done just been busy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode