What Would You Do With A Wrecked Versys?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What Would You Do With A Wrecked Versys??

So as I stated in my introductory post, I just got a wrecked 2009 Versys. The bike never went down, but it did tap the back of a van and mess a few things up. Here's what I'm working with:
Broken headlight assembly
Bent headlight bracket
Cracked front upper fairings
Missing right radiator cover & turn signal
Missing windscreen brackets
Missing gauge cluster surround
Missing right mirror

For some reason, used parts have been difficult to locate and new ones are pricey. I'm a big fan of stock bikes, but due to the above mentioned parts issue I'm contemplating going naked. You guys think it would be less costly going this route? Also, if it was your personal bike what would you do? I'm a bit lost
Oh, I also want to add that this bike will be used as a true daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
My 2009 got hit by a car and i got almost everything off of ebay for a bout $300.00. New front fender, Upper fairing bracket that the speedometer connects to,Windscreen brackets and some other stuff i can't remember....That was just over 2 years ago and i still ride the bike almost daily

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 12-09-2013 at 12:00 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 08:11 PM

Garage
If ebay doesn't work try www.cheapcycleparts.com or www.partshark.com ... heres most of what you need....http://www.partshark.com/fiche_secti...009&fveh=38806

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 12-08-2013 at 08:14 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Most likely the forks are damaged and the frame possibly too if it collided with something. If that is the case I would part out the bike. The salvaged good parts will be worth more than the bike as a unit is.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 08:21 PM

Turn it into a true dual sport. Bigger front forks and 19 or 21 inch wheel.

Depending on your fabing skills and tools.

Hooligan
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I've scoured eBay without much luck. Seems most sellers want nearly retail for used parts. Partshark is a good find. I'm going to check my local dealer tomorrow and get a price list (they usually give me killer deals since I used to work there). The dual sport route is a no go... All of my riding is commuting and touring. I had a KLR650 and sold it because I never took it offroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Most likely the forks are damaged and the frame possibly too if it collided with something. If that is the case I would part out the bike. The salvaged good parts will be worth more than the bike as a unit is.
The guy I got it from had it checked and it's got zero damage. All of the damage was cosmetic and isolated to the upper fairings/headlight. He was doing all of 3 mph when he hit them. For reference:

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Check this thread on ADV by (our OWN) jdrocks, for what you CAN do:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644390

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 11:52 AM

Garage
I have these mirrors they work great and are cheap.http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-SET-10MM-L...3d0e95&vxp=mtr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I have these mirrors they work great and are cheap.http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-SET-10MM-L...3d0e95&vxp=mtr
Thanks man! Those look like they'd do the trick. Oh, I did spend some of the afternoon trying to piece this bike back together. It's coming along well! I've gotten everything that was removed, but not damaged installed back on it. Since I haven't ridden it, I took it for a short trip around the block. I'm liking it so far! It feels nice and smooth. Still, to get it where I can start really using it, at minimum, I have to get a headlight, headlight bracket, and the right radiator cover/turn signal.

Last edited by TypeRated; 12-09-2013 at 05:06 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 07:20 PM

There was a member from Texas, if I remember correctly, that was parting out undamaged bikes because he was installing the V motors into KLR's.

Don't remember his name.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 07:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
There was a member from Texas, if I remember correctly, that was parting out undamaged bikes because he was installing the V motors into KLR's.

Don't remember his name.

Heres one he parted out..http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=31305

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 10:16 PM

sell me the bent front forks for my radial brake modeling project

All I need is the inner tube with bottom casting but will take the entire leg if I have to
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 11:06 PM

sent you a pm typerated. i think i have a good bit of the parts youre looking for just laying around and im in AL so not too far away. i have a streetfighter v and no longer in need of them. not looking to make much off them just helping a fellow v rider. hope i sent this before you bought any too expensive parts. want to help get that battle-scared girl up and running again! also i had a 55mph wreck five months after i bought mine in 08. cost $2500 for me to buy parts and repair all with a broken leg and fractured wrist so i know it sucks just trying to make yours suck less.

Last edited by nak0003; 12-17-2013 at 11:11 PM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man! I sent one back at ya

2009 Versys - Daily Driven
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

*Update* - She now looks like this:

Have to give a big to nak0003 for hooking me up with most of the parts needed to get her back together. The front fairings are still cracked, but I put some gaffer tape on the inside as a temp solution until I can afford to repaint the whole bike (I've settled on Ford Grabber Blue ). Also ended up trading the Two Bros exhaust for a stocker plus cash and it's supposed to be in tomorrow. Can't wait to ride it as a complete (and quiet) bike!

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRated View Post
...The front fairings are still cracked, but I put some gaffer tape on the inside as a temp solution until I can afford to repaint the whole bike (I've settled on Ford Grabber Blue )....
Maybe put some JB Weld on the inside along the cracks....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Maybe put some JB Weld on the inside along the cracks....
They're getting repaired properly when I paint it. I used the tape because it's easily removed and I want a clean inner surface to work with when the time comes. Oh, on a side note, I got a stock muffler and the right lower fairing installed today... she's nice & quiet

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

So, another little update. I went to the local dealer today and picked up quite a few things. Got everything installed with the exception of the right fairing. The new one had a crack right at the bend where it butts up against the gauge surround. I also got tired of the blue fender, so it's now satin black and drying as I type this. I'll get you guys some fully-completed pics in a couple of days when the replacement fairing comes in. Oh, for you guys interested, I got the OE Aprilia mirrors at the same dealer for $22 each and they had them in stock.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode