Oh no, you didn't?!?! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Oh no, you didn't?!?!

Yes, yes I did. Thought I was superman today and could muscle the bike up my steep driveway that was partially covered in snow and ice after a recent snowfall. Rare for these parts.

Everything was going fine until I stalled accidently just as I reached the ice part. You can guess the rest of the story from here...down went the bike. Minor damage to various parts including broken clutch lever and scratches on several parts:

- bar end
- fairing, 2 locations
- engine cover
- probably others that I can't see well in the dark.

So....how do I replace these things without spending a fortune?

Damn, feel like an idiot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 02:19 AM

engine cover black sharpie does wonders if you have the black engine.

Clutch lever
46092 LEVER-GRIP,CLUTCH
part # 46092-0031 only $22 in California from local dealer

depending how pristine you want your bike to look. you can try some color matches touch up paint.

http://www.colorrite.com

http://www.colorrite.com/product/kaw...l-red-1593.cfm

Last edited by Motojunkee; 12-07-2013 at 02:24 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 02:36 AM

Boned!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunkee View Post
engine cover black sharpie does wonders if you have the black engine.
Sharpies fade rapidly when exposed to daylight. I do custom framing and often make "signing" mats, so I tested many pens and markers. In a 9 month test exposing writing with markers, pens and pencils to northern light in a window, Sharpies were barely legible. The best black marker is Staedtler Pigment Liner 0.7. Pigment, not ink, is the ticket. No fade after 9 months. Ask for one at a stationary shop.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 09:58 AM
MTS

Glad you are ok!

The bike can be fixed. I have heard of guys breaking a leg or blowing out a knee on ice before!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. I think I'm mostly pissed at myself for thinking I could do it. I made a similar decision before and ended up with the same result about a dozen years ago.

Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I would say live with it as a daily reminder that stuff happens. It may give you that extra sense of "I'd better think safety today since I don't want this to happen again".

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Check ebay for replacement parts.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I have a vast amount of experience doing stupid things, but the dumbest move I have done motorcycle-wise was this one> I had just got my bike lift and had my Concours on it for service. Because the Connie was so heavy, I had my brother help me push it up the ramp onto the platform. The next day, after I completed the service work, my brother wasn't home so I thought that I would roll it back off the platform seated on the bike. Bad move. I dropped the back wheel off the ramp and the bike fell to the right with yours truly aboard. Luckily my body prevented any damage as it made a nice buffer between the bike and the garage wall. I was trapped with 680 pounds of bike on me. Nobody home and my nearest neighbour is 300 metres away. My dog was no help at all. I remained in that position for nearly an hour until a buddy just happened to stop by. I laugh about it now, but it wasn't very entertaining at the time.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 12:57 PM
MTS

U-tube has a bunch of bad loading vid's. The worst one I've seen is a dude loading his Harley and they bottom out as they are at the tail gate!

He rolled off to the right and fell and snapped his arm like a twig. Very brutal!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode