Canadian perspective on Algard - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Canadian perspective on Algard

I thought I'd throw a thread in here to share my dealings with Algard. http://www.versys.info/versys/

For those who are unaware of this company it appears to be a small manufacturer of skid plate engine guards and windshield mounts.
I was looking for a skid plate and my searches only brought up the Happy trails and Algard options.
As a comparison, The Happy Trails looks to be super-sturdy and tough, and the Algard looks frankly like a piece of art the way it flows with the lines of the bike. The welds and mounting brackets are beautifully done and looks like it has really taken them some time to design it.

What I did was email the company, who always responded within the day, with what I was looking for and my address. He then built the order, sent me a Paypal request and I paid. The total price for the item and shipping to Canada was about $40 less than the Happy Trails option to my address.

After payment cleared I got an email saying that the item was sent and I received a tracking number as well. It was shipped July 14th and I got it today, July 23rd!!! I did get stung with a $25.00 Cdn customs fee too....bastards.

I am including pics on how it was packaged and after it was installed. Took me about 30-45 mins after locktite-ing and tourquing everything, and everything fit great. It even came with a detailed picture CD on how exactly to install it.

It is attached via brackets which mount to the same mount points as the plastic side guards and with 3 bolts attached to the engine up front. It is very solid and will easily deflect any gravel and stones on dirt roads, (which is where it will spend most of it's off road time with me) Looks like it would hold up to all you would normally be throwing at this bike with the exception of a huge direct bash or smash into a solid object at a high rate of go.

Just wanted to throw this on here as I know some people would be skeptical of buying from a small company in a far away country as Slovenia. I really felt like my order was being seen to personally the whole time as the same guy would always update me and write me on all matters. This, plus the fast shipping and high quality of the item made me very pleased with my decision.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 001.jpg (33.7 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 002.jpg (55.1 KB, 457 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 003.jpg (54.5 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 004.jpg (78.9 KB, 532 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 005.jpg (77.9 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 006.jpg (173.9 KB, 587 views)

Last edited by Trailslapper; 07-23-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 07:46 PM
vp7

Hey that looks great, but you never mentioned how much it cost you in total. I just wish the weather would clear for long enough for me to actually be able to go riding for a few days.

Moon Dust Gray Versys, with lots of farkles.

Vlast

P.S. I bought my Versys to support my photography hobby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

The totals were:
All said and done:
For Algard - the skid plate and shipping to NB $191.79 -Canadian $
And for the egg suckin customs guys $25.04

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 09:20 PM

where did you get the front fender that looks cool.

buckshot
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshotsktm View Post
where did you get the front fender that looks cool.

buckshot
It's a Polisport motard fender. Got it from the local dealership who brought it in from Thibault

http://www.importationsthibault.com/...ue=en&page=268

I painted it a textured black to match the other black bits on the bike
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 09:31 PM

Lucky you... I found that they are SLOOOOOOW to respond to email. Took about 5 days to respond to my first email, which included instructions to send another email requesting a total, which has not been responded to in several days.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Sorry to hear that.
Honestly, my first email took a couple of days, but then I used another email I have and he was fast. I think the first one I used was getting spam blocked or something. I'm actually surprised he didn't take longer than he did with my order as I think he is a one man operation.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 09:58 PM

His stuff looks pretty cool. I'm interested in the adjustable windscreen bracket. The skid plate is nice too.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 10:27 PM

Would love to get this skid plate but he is hard to get hold of. Replied to my first email the first day now I have tried a few times and Im gettin nuttin for over 2 weeks now????? To bad its a great looking product. Love what you have done with the bike trailslapper, nice looking ride

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by freakshow; 08-01-2009 at 10:29 PM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 11:31 PM

europe summer holidays

I don't know if this is the case with this distributor but lot of european manufacturers take the summer off as holidays (lucky workers). The company I work for has to wait weeks and sometimes a month or more before correspondence is returned due to the holiday schedules overseas.I don't know but this may be why your responses aren't instant for some euro companies..........
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 11:54 PM

AAAAhhh I C thanks for the heads up . I will have to be more patiant and see.Not a lot of choices for skid plates for the V ,and I realy like the look of this one so will be waiting for reply

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailslapper View Post
It is attached via brackets which mount to the same mount points as the plastic side guards and with 3 bolts attached to the engine up front. It is very solid and will easily deflect any gravel and stones on dirt roads, (which is where it will spend most of it's off road time with me) Looks like it would hold up to all you would normally be throwing at this bike with the exception of a huge direct bash or smash into a solid object at a high rate of go.
So, now that you've had it for a while, does it work as well as you hoped? I'm currently debating between ordering the one from Happy-Trails and this one, and I'm wondering how well it works in practice.

Thanks,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 05:35 PM

Can I have the email address you use to contact the builder of the gaurd? I emailed them 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
I'm wondering how well it works in practice.

Dave C
My Algard seems to be holding up OK.
And doing it's job.
great product

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
So, now that you've had it for a while, does it work as well as you hoped? I'm currently debating between ordering the one from Happy-Trails and this one, and I'm wondering how well it works in practice.

Thanks,
Dave C
It works great, Dave, for what I'm using it for and for what it's made for. Like I said as far as the gravel roads, it keeps rocks and stones from hitting the lower engine and tender oil filter parts and is plenty tough for this purpose.

I've never seen a Happy Trails one up close, but it looks sturdy too.

The Algard really is a beautifully made quality item and looks great on the bike, and I actually got it shipped cheaper to Canada than what the Happy trails item would have been.

Cheers
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
Can I have the email address you use to contact the builder of the gaurd? I emailed them 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything.
I used [email protected] as an email, but I sent him one first on my hotmail and he didn't get it. Then I sent him another on my work Outlook email and he responded within 24 hrs.
I think he has some strange european email filter on his mail that blocked my hotmail. Try another email if you have one.

Web page is www.versys.info

He is even on this forum and you could probably PM him. His name on here is N17
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/member.php?u=126

Jeebus For the amount of work I'm doing for him, I should be on the payroll !!!!!

Last edited by Trailslapper; 09-17-2009 at 05:03 PM.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailslapper View Post
I used [email protected] as an email, but I sent him one first on my hotmail and he didn't get it.
Same here, my email to him from my Yahoo account must have gotten blocked. I sent an email from work and he responded the same day.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I've sent him a note (hopefully it won't be eaten by a spam filter), and we'll see if I can get my hands on one.

Cheers,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 03:57 PM

I have written to Him 4 times over the last couple of weeks asking for a price so i can transfer the funds via Paypal.....and no response.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 04:02 PM
n17

Sorry boys but I must say it's over. Despite the fact that my products are of high quality and the prices are rather low there was not enough orders to continue the production. I have only 5 pieces of silver guards and 1 black left. I will respond to your e-mails this weekend- those who have contacted me first will get the chance to buy the last pieces. I'm sad about the situation but there is nothing I can do. Sorry
ALGARD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode