Corbin seat question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Corbin seat question

I would like to get a Russell seat but they can't build one until the end of August at least so I'm contemplating buying a Corbin. This stock seat is killing me. I can't ride even a hundred miles with frequent stops. If you own a Corbin tell me how you like it and tell me your height and weight please. I'm 6'2" and 260. I had a Corbin on a Road King years ago and it was ok but not as nice as a Mustang seat so I'm a little skeptical to spend over $400 for something that's not going to be what I need.

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff

2009 Lime Green Versys (the fast one)

We're losing our country, does anyone care?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 06:47 PM

I have the russell, and love it. Too bad you can't wait.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 07:13 PM

I found a corbin and love it. I'm about 5'10" 200LBS. I couldn't justify spending that much more on a RDL.I was the same as you, just cound not stand the stock. I can ride for hours w/ no complaints. You know their stiff at first but it's starting to break in nice and also keeps a nice clean line with the bike. I found mine on this site. I posted a WTB and got a response within 2 days. Also the seat doesn't ride up at all. Hope this helps.
Ride-on ChrisB

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

I believe DallasDon (I think it was Don...) sold his corbin. Said it was like riding on a brick...

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 08:14 PM

I love my Corbin...well worth the $$$'s. Stiff at first...then breaks in...just right.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 08:29 PM

They are firm and I can ride mine a lot longer. I do tend to ride for hours without stopping and I can ride comfortably for about 4 hours. After that I need a little something more. The Russell looks very comfy, but looks a little strange on a V. I am 5'11'' and 235lbs. The Corbin would be just about perfect for me if it were about an inch wider toward the rear.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 09:12 PM

I did two 300 mile days on my Corbin, this weekend with no stops other than long enough to refuel.

I have no complaints.

The Corbin did take a while to break-in. It was hard as a brick at first, then softened up over about 1000 miles or so.

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 09:52 PM

Corbin seat review

When I first purchased my V, I couldn't stand riding on the stock seat for more than 20 miles (literally) without severe discomfort. I propped up the front of the seat with a piece of wood, and that made things better, but then I decided I'd try the Corbin.

After buying and installing the Corbin I was finally able to enjoy the bike. The new seat was very hard for the first 1000 miles, but after that it began to get more comfortable. Now I can at least ride for a couple of hours at a time without pain. Anything longer than that though, and my old body needs a break.

The Corbin seat I bought is not perfect, but it is a vast improvement over the stocker. The Corbin does not fit the bike as well as it could. The gap between the seat and the bike appears to be a little uneven. The seat could also stand to be a little wider in the rear. Finally, if they could find a way to move the "ledge" between the rider's seat and the passenger's seat back an inch it would be a big improvement.

BTW, I'm 6'-1" and about 225 lbs.

HandKPhil
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 10:05 PM

I have Corbin seats on my Triumph Sprint (incredibly comfortable saddle) and on my Versys (average comfort at best). I think the difference is that my wife bought the corbin for the versys as a Christmas present, and gave them my inseam length...I'm only 5'8", so they left out some of the padding to keep it closer to the ground. I've been pretty disappointed in it. It's not horrible, it's just not up to the standards of the Corbin on my Triumph. It does beat the stock seat though. If I had it to do over I would look into the Sargeant. It's a great looking saddle and looks pretty comfortable. Of course, you're over 6' tall, so you may not have the issues with a Corbin for your Versys like I had.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I might just wait and get the Russell. For my size I just don't think I'll be happy with the Corbin. I might try to find a stock seat that I can pick up cheap and send it to them to make that way I can still keep riding while they build it. I live within an hour and a half of them so they put me on their list so if anyone cancels I can ride down immediately and they can build it that day. I'll pay extra but it sounds like it's worth it.

Jeff

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 10:36 PM

I have about 15000 miles on my Corbin. It's night and day over the stock seat, but I imagine the Sargent and Russell are probably more plush. Since you've had a Corbin before, you probably remember how hard they are. It's not a knock against them. It's just how they are. It's a love/hate thing for most people. Unlike many folks, I've never found mine to be any softer, just molded to my posterior better.

My 2-cents is that if you want the Russell, you'll always wonder whether you should have gotten that one. I for one would buy an Airhawk or some other seat pad (wool w/ gel insert is nice) and live with the stock seat until winter and then send in the seat. Alternatively, you can buy one of the many stock seats that are getting sold here and send that one in to Russell to be converted.

As much as I love the Corbin, it's too much money to spend if you already have your heart set on something else.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 10:45 PM

Wait for the Russell. You will never ride on another seat again.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 01:41 AM

tryn modifying your stock seat before spending the cash for an aftermarket..i cut mine down and reworked it......posted pics on how i did it awhile back.....it's great now....very comfortable... i'm 6'2" 190lbs for reference
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
I believe DallasDon (I think it was Don...) sold his corbin. Said it was like riding on a brick...
Yep, that was me. I also had one on my ST1300 that I rode for over a year trying to "break it in" and nothing worked. I finally sold it. When I bought the Corbin for the Versys I was hoping it would "break in" but after 6 months it was gone to and I went back to the stock seat. I also cut down my stock V seat but it ended up with too little padding so I sold that to. I finally ended up buying another stock seat off the forum and that's what I ride with now. I put risers on my V, lowered it and have no problem now with the stock seat. I think the V stock seat is one of the best stock seats that has come out lately. If I were buying another seat it would be the Russell day long without a doubt.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 07-21-2009 at 10:39 AM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 11:20 AM

The stock seat, which I still have eventually has me sliding forward and I wind up sitting on my balls, very uncomfortable. I put an AirHawk on and it helps somewhat but I still slide forward just not as quickly. Anyone have a cure to get the seat front tilted up so at least it is level?
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 11:27 AM

the stock seat can easily be reworked to eliminate the forward slide....cut the seat down flat to get rid of the slide...build it back up with firm camp pad then add a top layer of memory foam if you like ( i did and love it) recover and your done....very cheap to do...by reworking it you can trim the foam a bit at a time periodically sitting on the bike to test ..took mine off a least a dozen times tilll it was just right...then got it recovered....on a side note i'll add that after replacing my handlebars i find my seating position is even better
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

tsunami, what bars did you switch to? How tall are you? I'm 6'2" and long waisted and was thinking about risers but if new bars are the answer maybe I'll try that.

Jeff

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 12:24 PM

i'm 6'2" myself...i ended up making my own.( posted some pics on how i did it)....my bars have almost a 6 inch rise to them...the riding position is VERY comfortable now...if you dont want to make your own...consider looking at chrome bars to fit most metric bikes.....they tend to have a higher rise to them as opposed to dirt bike style bars..a little powdercoat or paint and they look great..the combination of the seat mods and bar change makes this a great bike for me now!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 03:03 PM

I'd like to love the Corbin seats but whether they ever break in seems to me to depend on your weight.

I'm 6'1" and 175 and it never broke in on my KLR. Had to use a sheepskin just to make it tolerable.

Went to a Russell on the KLR and am probably about to do the same on the V...

ybmv (your butt may vary.)

HFG aka Randy

There comes a time in every man's life when he has to get up off the couch and kill some zombies.
Caution: Happy Fun Guy may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Guy.

'08 Versys
'06 KLR650
'07 KLX250s
'04 KLX125L
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 03:56 PM

I have about 2500 miles in the Corbin and its just now starting to break in. I'm 6'2" 230lbs. The Corbin is really good at two things: 1) Letting you shift comfortably when you get sore/numb-butt and 2) helping to determine WHY your ass hurts when you ride. In my case it was loose-fitting undershorts and perspiration causing my pants to tugg at my skin like mad. Now I use anti-monkeybutt powder and wear normal skivvies under my gear (no more boxers) and that combined with the now-soft Corbin and the bike is a dream to ride now.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode