12v outlet on 2013 V - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
12v outlet on 2013 V

Hi folks,

Firstly, I know there are tons of threads about installing a 12V outlet, but most of the ones I've found are for the first gen Vs. I want to install one on my 2013, but it does not have a similar plastic real estate as the 2009 or earlier.

This is what I have in mind from amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Cigarette-Lighter-Outlet-Socket/dp/B007BIUKLI/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1384872515&sr=1-3&keywords=12v+outlet

Has anyone installed this on their 2nd gen V? If so, I would greatly appreciate if you could post some suggestions and pix of your install so I can have some ideas.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 09:09 AM

I'm going to do this one, looks like the best bang for the buck, http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20404
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I have 4 outlets on my bike. If you want something thats quick and easy i have one of these.....http://www.powerlet.com/product/ciga...-15-amp-48/215 .. Just zip tied it to the cable along the clutch lever...

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

So I went with this, being it has a handlebar mount and a built in 15 amp fuse:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tusk-12V-12-...p2054897.l4276

I'll post an update on the install and how it works ASAP. Thanks again for your feedback.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 10:31 AM

Just like the dealer would do it . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy08 View Post
I'm going to do this one, looks like the best bang for the buck, http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20404
This is exactly what I did on my 2013 but did not have to do any mods to anything, was plug & play.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 04:12 AM

I installed an in-dash one on my Mk2 1010 a couple of weeks ago. I bought a 12v socket very similar to your amazon one, checked the depth of it as there's a bracket behind the dash on the left side that will stop a long one from going all the way in. I cut down the wiring a bit, installed spade connectors and wired it into that really handy power point just below there. I used the bottom left for ground and the bottom right positive for on with the key. Finally I took the plunge and started drilling into the dash after drawing around the inside diameter of the rear fixing nut with a white pencil. I only did a small hole (about 6mm) first and gradually increased it with the dremel until the socket could squeeze in. tightened it all up, plugged in the wires, cable tied them out of the way a bit and job done.
The post where I got the info about the power socket on Mk2's is here. I checked the configuration with my multi-meter to make sure I wasn't going to blow anything up, and the info on this post is correct.
Using a USB cig lighter dongle, it powers my sat nav and iPhone in the tank bag.
I'll put a photo here if I can figure it out.

If it wasn't for the Welsh and the Scottish bringing the average down, this wouldn't be "Great Britain"; it would be "Bloody Amazing Britain".
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I installed the Kawasaki heated grips which shares the relay with the Kawasaki 12v accessory outlet to I went that route. Rarely use it because I hard wire my GPS. Sometimes I do use it to keep the SENA Bluetooth headset going though.

I also installed a 12V accessory outlet under the seat that is hooked directly to the battery via a fused circuit. I can use that to charge the cell phone while camping.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode