SW Motech Crash Bars - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SW Motech Crash Bars

Last week I had the SW Motech Crash bars installed from Twisted Throttle.
The quality is good, they look good, seem like they would protect the bike well and straight forward to install. They are installed in three places: A long bolt through the back of the engine, near the gear shift; a u-clamp on the engine frame and a stud at the front of the engine block. Very secure.
The problem is that I now feel vibration which resonates at 4000rpm. I can feel it in the footpegs and an audible buzz.
I think this vibration is being transferred from the engine to the frame via the crash bars. Anyone else got any comments or has same experience?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01645.JPG (153.4 KB, 723 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 09:56 PM

I had the same problem. Just a little buzz before the crash bars, tons now and I can feel the vibration in the fairings. The other day I put weather stripping around the gauges and that helped some, but not enough. Not sure what to try next.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 10:05 PM

I had some extra vibration when I put on my HB bar.
Retorqued it slightly less with DIY thin hard rubber mountings to absorb the vibration between the frame and bar.

Good Luck.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys
At least I know I am on the right track now.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 06:03 PM

What kind of rubber would be good to make mounts? And where could I get some? Thanks!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 06:58 PM

MORE vibrating? I wanted to get these bars, now Im not sure. Id really like to put things on my bike that arent going to make them worse. What a bummer.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Hey stlee29, I loosened the nuts on the u-clamp and most of the vibes have gone, so I didn't even need the rubber. Thanx for the idea.
Still have a wee fairing buzz at 4200rpm though, but I will find that too.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 03:16 PM

I just was doing a search on SW Motech crash bar vibrations and it brought me to this forum. I own a Triumph Tiger 1050 and recently had the Motechs put on my bike by Twisted Throttle at their open house. I get a bad "buzz" above 5000 rpms. I re torqued the bars but this helped little. I emailed TT but they deny this happens. I of course went through anything else that may cause this but everything is within limits. At my forum tiger1050.com, other members also have this problem. I see at the KLR and Vstrom sites the bars do the same thing to those models. PLEASE do not let Twisted Throttle get away with this. Inform them of your displeasure and demand they refund your money!

matts1050 at tiger1050.c0m
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Good info Matt & thanks!

Funny how the Tiger keeps popping up in the strangest places...

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 09:36 AM

No Problem. My younger son is ready to move up from his KLR 250 -looking at the Versys and Vstrom. Good luck to you all!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:27 PM

Mine just arrived. Could you give me some guidance on installation.Instructions look vaque at best.
Thanks,
Jim
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 08:55 PM

Received the SWMotech engine today and in view of your vibration and the same problem others mentioned I am considering returning them to Tthrottle.Is the vibration bad enough to be a deal breaker or is it tolerable.Thanks for your help.
Jim
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:09 PM

It's definitely tolerable. The bars work well for what they're designed to do (protect the engine cases). Avoiding a little extra vibe through the pegs isn't worth the damage you risk by not mounting them.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 11:42 PM

Maybe I drink too much..But I could have sworn the V engine mounts directly to the frame...My V vibed the same at 4500 without the H&B's and with the H&B's...And by vibe, I mean just a tad, not a knock your foot off the peg Harley vibe...
You can trust me when I tell you that the H&B's I put on my V paid for themselves "at least once"...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 12:31 AM

Mine did not cause any vibrations at all. Did you guys put the plastic/rubber covers on the frame tubes under the U clamps?

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 09:21 PM

Any body out there with the Happy Trails guards? I'm thinking of getting these and was curious if they had experienced the same vib. issue as the Sw.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy49 View Post
I'm thinking of getting these and was curious if they had experienced the same vib. issue as the Sw.
I still wonder if the guys with vib issues installed the included plastic frame spacer under the U clamp. I did and don't have any vibs at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swmtbars.jpg (102.3 KB, 342 views)

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 07:48 AM

Seems to be an issue with the SW stuff. The guys on the Tiger1050 site also complain of vibration coming from their SW bars as well.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 05:23 PM

I had minimal vibe after install of the Motech crash guards. It is completely tolerable and well worth having the added protection. Most of my vibration came after I installed a handle bar brace. I had to replace the grips, put rubber dampeners on my mirrors, re-install the bar ends, and I still have a audible buzz coming from my shift lever adjustment knob. Still thinking about how to make that stop...
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Seems to be an issue with the SW stuff. The guys on the Tiger1050 site also complain of vibration coming from their SW bars as well.
It's not just the SW stuff.

See the Hepco Becker thread on vibration issues.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=1555

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode