High front fender - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
High front fender

Hey folks, I installed a new front tire and now I have to raise the front fender for proper clearance. I could raise it just enough to clear the new tire but I like the look of the BMW's and Buell front fenders. Attached are a couple of pix to show you what I'm talking about. There are a few issues I can see but none that I can't fix. The rear portion does clear the raidiator. One of the main issues I see are the brake lines. I haven't quite figured out waht to do with them yet. Anybody see any other problems that will be hard to solve? Right now the fender is zip tied on for looks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moto 002(2).jpg (192.1 KB, 1033 views)
File Type: jpg moto 003(2).jpg (177.8 KB, 1598 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 12:30 PM

Put a set of braided brake lines and do you split at the master cylinder and they should work great .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 03:53 PM

what size and type of tire did you put on the front. Are you trying to make it a little more off road worthy (adventure style). I am presently thinking of a Versys in the spring but and just trying to figure if i can get it fire road, logging road, minor water crossing worthy. I have both a road bike as well as a offroad bike for the real ruff stuff but am looking for somthing to make some trips on. If anyone has one set up for this type of riding please post some pics and a list of mods

thanks

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 05:52 PM

I just road for three hours on fire roads in the Rocky Mountains near Denver on my stock Versys. This is basically a dirt bike pretending to be a street bike. The handling and balance off road is exceptional. Not a motocrosser but even with stock tires you can go all kinds of off road places. With a change to hybrid tires you would certainly be set. KB
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 05:53 PM

I just road for three hours on fire roads in the Rocky Mountains near Denver on my stock Versys. This is basically a dirt bike pretending to be a street bike. The handling and balance off road is exceptional. Not a motocrosser but even with stock tires you can go all kinds of off road places. With a change to hybrid tires you would certainly be set. KB
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 07:37 PM

Looks Good Mountainman. I think it looks great mounted up under the fork clamps. Makes you wonder why Kawasaki didn't do this straight from the factory.

I'm kinda in the same process right now. I actually have braided brake lines coming. 2 seperate lines coming from the Master so no concerns with the crossover. I'm going to mount a supermoto style fender from Polisport (only about $25 Cdn). Then for simple, but effective fork protectors, I'm going to attempt to rig up some ATV heavy Nylon shock covers. I'll post pics when/if it all comes together!!!
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 09:22 PM

Trailslapper, you might consider using motocross fork protectors suited for "upsidedown" forks as used on the Kawi KX models. With any luck they could be simple bolt-ons.

"life is not a dress rehearsal"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLANDER1089 View Post
Trailslapper, you might consider using motocross fork protectors suited for "upsidedown" forks as used on the Kawi KX models. With any luck they could be simple bolt-ons.
I don't think they'd easily fit Islander as the mounting points appear to me to be different. If anyone out there knows otherwise and has tried or has found another solution, I'd like to see it though

Just put on the Hel dual brakelines and the heavy nylon shock protectors. I haven't ridden with the protectors yet, hope they hold up, all LOOKS clear. Also added a Polisport motard fender, painted it a textured black to match the other black bits on the bike. I figure when the stock tires roll over and die, I'll now be able to fit the beefier sized Tourances.

Farkle on Brothers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 002.jpg (88.6 KB, 896 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 003.jpg (100.9 KB, 1124 views)
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 12:38 AM

Have to say MountainMan and Trailslapper V looks GOOD
Reminds me of my old GS.

MountainMan,
What mirror have you got there?
Braided lines will be stylish and great for stoppies.

Thanks.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 04:30 AM

Trailslapper, I kinda like that setup.
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 07:22 PM

That is a wicked look with the high fenders and aggressive tires. Sorry, no real suggestions, just love the mean look.
post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Have to say MountainMan and Trailslapper V looks GOOD
Reminds me of my old GS.

MountainMan,
What mirror have you got there?
Braided lines will be stylish and great for stoppies.

Thanks.
Stlee29, sorry for the late response but those mirrors are from a KLX 250SF from Kawasaki. They look a little more agressive than the stock square ones.
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailslapper View Post
Just put on the Hel dual brakelines and the heavy nylon shock protectors. I haven't ridden with the protectors yet, hope they hold up, all LOOKS clear. Also added a Polisport motard fender, painted it a textured black to match the other black bits on the bike.
Farkle on Brothers
Questions...

1) Where did you get the dual brake line setup? Speigler will not make me a set, they only have a cross over setup for the Versys.

2) How is that fender mounted to the lower triple?

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 01:48 PM

Hey GTI

Heres the guy who I bought the Hel lines from. Awesome seller and stoopid-fast shipping. He sells a race kit (with the 2 seperate lines from the master) and an over the fender (like stock) kit.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/KAWASAKI-VERSYS-6...d=p3911.c0.m14

I drilled 4 mounting holes in the fender, then made a thin aluminum bracket to go OVER the lower triple clamp, running bolts down through the holes in the fender. Theres very little room between the cable guide on the right hand side and the clamp when bars are turned to full right lock, so a little "tweaking" was required. It's rock solid and I didn't have to drill into the clamp at all.

The close up pictures are a bit blurry, I'm no photographer.

I've also considered Islander's thoughts and made a set of KX fork protectors fit as I wasn't entirely happy with the nylon ones. For this, I modded the inside stock metal fender mount to hold it all together. Then sprayed the works with a textured black paint to match the hugger and other bits, ...Whew.

Oh and I also added the Galloping Canadian Moose decals to the front
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic1.JPG (136.0 KB, 959 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 2.JPG (170.3 KB, 874 views)
File Type: jpg Pic3.JPG (95.1 KB, 5411 views)
File Type: jpg Pic4.JPG (53.5 KB, 679 views)
File Type: jpg Pic5.JPG (49.0 KB, 894 views)
File Type: jpg Pic6.JPG (45.6 KB, 661 views)
File Type: jpg Pic7.JPG (63.5 KB, 677 views)

Last edited by Trailslapper; 08-14-2009 at 02:18 PM.
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 02:49 PM

Thank you thank you! I already ordered my fender and now I am off to get the brake lines. Those pics and explanation clear it up for me. Thanks again.

The TKCs should fit well now.

What kind of paint did you use? Did it seem to stick to the plastic well?

ST1300, Versys, SV650S

Last edited by gti20vturbo; 08-14-2009 at 06:18 PM.
post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 07:55 PM

Ahhhh the paint, thats a whole other experiment. I first lightly sanded the part, just enough so it isnt shiny. A little mouse sander works good and only takes about 5 mins. Then clean it reaaal good with something that removes greasey fingerprints and residue. I used sunlight dish soap. Then I hit it with a krylon textured black rattle can which bonds to plastic really well. The problem was that the color was more copperish then black. So I just sprayed over it with tremclad textured (not hammered) black. I think because the first coat was so rough, the tremclad bonded really well to it.
Let me know how the TKCs work out for ya. There won't be much out there that'll slow you down with those on!!

The fender comes in a shiny black anyway, and some people like it just the way it is too.

Last edited by Trailslapper; 08-14-2009 at 07:59 PM.
post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 01:01 AM

The Canadians on WebBikeWorld have been using the Pirelli MT60 Corsa for adventure biking. They are doing more off road evaluations. See http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ys/windscreen/ to catch up on the evaluation in progress.
post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 12:41 PM

How did you end up with the same user name as mine?
post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 01:10 PM

My fender should be here today......

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailslapper View Post
Hey GTI

Heres the guy who I bought the Hel lines from. Awesome seller and stoopid-fast shipping. He sells a race kit (with the 2 seperate lines from the master) and an over the fender (like stock) kit.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/KAWASAKI-VERSYS-6...d=p3911.c0.m14

I drilled 4 mounting holes in the fender, then made a thin aluminum bracket to go OVER the lower triple clamp, running bolts down through the holes in the fender. Theres very little room between the cable guide on the right hand side and the clamp when bars are turned to full right lock, so a little "tweaking" was required. It's rock solid and I didn't have to drill into the clamp at all.

The close up pictures are a bit blurry, I'm no photographer.

I've also considered Islander's thoughts and made a set of KX fork protectors fit as I wasn't entirely happy with the nylon ones. For this, I modded the inside stock metal fender mount to hold it all together. Then sprayed the works with a textured black paint to match the hugger and other bits, ...Whew.

Oh and I also added the Galloping Canadian Moose decals to the front
I just ordered the fender and am going to try a similar approach to attach it but instead use long hose clamps to wrap the triple clamp. I will cut 4 slots in the fender and thread the end of the two hose clamps through the fender and up and over the clamp back down through the other slot and screw it up tight underneath. I don't have access to any real tools or materials to fabricate brackets and don't know why this wouldn't work. Probably wrap the triple clamp with black electrician's tape first for added grip. I will try to punch out the slots in the fender with a screwdriver which should give the right shape. Will let all know how it works out and try to get come pics up too - if it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode