givi cases, short wire problem - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
givi cases, short wire problem

Just thought I'd show a fix I used for the problem of a short wire when re-locating the rear signal lights when installing side cases.

Givi boxes, not for touring in this case, just for commuting, going for groceries stashing rain gear or a riding jacket.

Drilled holes in fender and under seat to pass the wires through and reconnect. Made for a shorter distance, no cutting of wires.

See pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7100367.jpg (738.5 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg P7100371.jpg (663.6 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg P7100369_2.jpg (82.9 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by B DRY; 07-11-2009 at 01:29 AM. Reason: to add photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 11:06 PM

I did the same thing, only I added a rubber grommet to prevent any wire chafing.
I wish someone made a rubber plug for the stock hole location.

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 01:48 AM

To me that looks ugly, its better witht he grommet but it still looks ugly

Just extend the wires by splicing, its not difficult even if you are cack handed with a soldering iron like me.

then when you seel the bike you have the option to sell the luggage seperately from the bike.....

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 11:21 AM

I did extend the wires.

I think this looks much better than the wires going through the big hole where the turn signals used to be. In that hole the wires just flop around with a bunch of play. They are also just looking to catch on something.

2008 Versys, SOLD!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 11:47 AM

Some of the guys I know in the UK claim they didn't need to extend the indicators, the could get the cases to fit on the rack without using the extenders. I suspect however that one of the reasons the extenders are supplied is to make certain the indicators can be seen side on
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:01 PM

You are correct in that the indicator don't HAVE to be relocated, at least with the SW-Motech racks.

I mounted the racks with bags and rode it for a couple of days. There is about 12 mm of clearance, but the indicator can't be seen unless directly behind the bike, and you still have the relocation holes to deal with. I chose to relocate for these reasons, but with the SW Motech racks, I can see no way to relocate without lengthening the wiring. Maybe with the Givi racks it can be gone, but I don't know.

Running the wiring the way I did allows the wiring to be ran along side and tie-wrapped with the tail light wiring.

2008 Versys, SOLD!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode