Sissy bar/backrest - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sissy bar/backrest

I am by no means a rich man and I have looked everywhere i can think of to find a sissy bar/backrest for the Versys and the only option I have found comes with a $400 Corbin seat. Is there something else out there that I haven't found yet?

I know in a previous forum there was a request made to Speedy to try and look into but for the life of me I can not find that forum. If Speedy did look into it would there be enough interest for it to be fiscally valuable for him to make it?

Thank you for your time,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 10:47 PM

If you find it let me know. I'm looking for one too. I was also looking to see if I can adapt something but lack the shop tools needed for the work.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

I think that you could do something by taking off the rear grab bars and using the bolts there but I too lack the tools and the actual ability to make something that would work.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 01:15 PM

Greetings - I had a Thread out for a while and it appears to me that the best way to go is a trunk (I know you may not want to clutter up the look, but for the money and long run that is my plan.)

Good Luck!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 04:41 PM

I have a Shad 40 Trunk. If the wife ever decides to get on, this will help:

http://www.cbxmanmotorcycles.com/Sha...-Backrest.aspx

GelSeat
HB Engine Bars
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shad 40 Trunk w/Top Rack
Shad Topmaster Bracket
Motowerk Mirror Extenders
Motowerk Standard Flatfoot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NYGreenV; 07-09-2009 at 07:45 PM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGreenV View Post
I have a Shad 40 Trunk. If the wife ever decides to get on, this will help:

http://www.cbxmanmotorcycles.com/Sha...-Backrest.aspx
I like the little rack on your trunk. Is that someting you can get xtra? I have a JC Whitney knockoff trunk...would be cool if I could fit that raskel on there.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:53 PM

I have no idea if they sell the top rack separately. The company that makes the Shad is pretty iffy on things. Their product is OK but good luck trying to get something if it not in stock.

It looks like the model I have is a SH-40CA and the one without a rack is the SH-40. I'm not sure how useful it would be anyway. I guess I could bunggie down a sleeping bag or gym bag, but the rack is lightweight plastic.

GelSeat
HB Engine Bars

Shad 40 Trunk w/Top Rack
Shad Topmaster Bracket
Motowerk Mirror Extenders
Motowerk Standard Flatfoot

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:37 PM

I have a Givi mono system on mine with the back rest pad on the box. It level with the back of the seat so when the box is off it doesn't take too much from the bike. Just stretches the back out a bit.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 01:11 PM

Backrest with the OEM trunk

I added the OEM rack and trunk and an after market Harley Mini Pad. Works well and I have helmet storage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg backrest.jpg (367.2 KB, 439 views)
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGreenV View Post
I have no idea if they sell the top rack separately. The company that makes the Shad is pretty iffy on things. Their product is OK but good luck trying to get something if it not in stock.

It looks like the model I have is a SH-40CA and the one without a rack is the SH-40. I'm not sure how useful it would be anyway. I guess I could bungee down a sleeping bag or gym bag, but the rack is lightweight plastic.
I as well have the sh40-ca, and I'll let you know... the rack on the case is amazing.
2 sleeping bags and a tent for a 3000 mile 2 weeker. worked like magic.

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 03:20 PM

oh, and yes the pad on the case is probably the best (easiest accessibility, and priced reasonably) sissy bar you will find.

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 05:10 PM

backrest

i built a prototype from 1/4 inch round bar stock i welded washers on one end and used the grab rail bolts i had to shorten the bushings i came back past the seat then bent it up .welded on some brackets to mount the cushion if anyones interested il post some pics
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 05:25 PM

Yes, please post some pics.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

I have been doing some searching and http://www.revsperformance.com/ has a grab bar/sissy bar for $115 and a sportrack for $152, someone with some talent could use either of those and "fashion" a back rest for it. The attached pic is the sportsrack on an er-6n.

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 12:35 AM

In case anyone is interested, I sent Speedy a PM to see about coming up with something. I will let you know if I hear something. I really like the small rack Oxifer! I think there is enough folks out there looking for something like this with a short backrest.

Keep looking and update often if anyone sees something that will work. I have the factory Pans so that makes the trunk option more expensive and really a backrest if reasonable in price and height will meet my needs (actually my wife's needs).

later
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Mack, I would like to see pictures of your sissy bar as well. Knob, thanks for taking the stepping up and messaging Speedy for us. He has done so much already and I am sure he is busy with his business so it may be a bit before we hear back from him.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 05:51 PM

No word from Speedy, I am going to check with a dealer in my area who says he has a machine shop and can "make anything you want". Sounds too good to be true and $$.
I will let you know how it goes. I would like to find something reasonable before fall and the riding gets irresistable.

BBL
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

I was hoping Speedy would come through, his quality and craftsmanship is A+. Here's to hoping .
Mack can get some pics up.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 08:11 PM

backrest pics

sorry about the delay.like i said i used 1/4" round stock welded a washer on the front and used a splice bracket on the back i had to cut the grab rail spacer in half then reinstalled the grab rail bolt their is two bends in the bar you cant see it that well now because i screwed a shaving bag on the back to hold my prop stand and chain lube.the pad is made from 3/8" plywood and an old helmet bag.im still waiting on the upholstery guy to make me a real cushion.---------------------------------sorry after all that i cant get the pics to upload
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 08:40 PM

I've considered modifying something like this to fit the SW Motech rack.

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-14...-backrest.aspx

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-141-ezrest.aspx

Maloy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode