Wanted, instrument cluster - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wanted, instrument cluster

I have searched e bay and other sites for a new instrument cluster. As usual, my mode botton stopped working. I can't use trip meters anymore. It bugs me. I have removed the cluster and cleaned the connections with electrical contact spray cleaner, no luck. I took it to an electronics repair shop. Guy says he will order me a new $3 switch, problem is, he has to release 27 soldier points and redo them after switch is installed. about $60 for his labor. I am looking for a used cluster instead, as it may be less costly option. With all the scrapped 2008 Vs out there, there has to be some used clusters. Help. Where else can I look?

I figured it out!! A good day is when you can't see through your visor or windshield b/c of the bug splatter!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The cheapest i've seen those on ebay is $245.00 plus shipping used. A new one is $560.00. I have a spare one that i keep just in case something happens to the original. The $60.00 labor is not too bad compared to the prices above.. I had the one i got up for sale, was going to let it go for $120.00 and a guy gave me crap because i wouldn't sell it to him for a $100.00 shipped. He was pissed because i outbid him for it on ebay. So the video below was for him.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 10-25-2013 at 11:07 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

OK, OK. I will stop being such as cheap SOB and take my insturment cluster out and have it repaired!!!! point taken..
Thank you Crazy Joe!!!
Sometimes I need such guidance!!!

I figured it out!! A good day is when you can't see through your visor or windshield b/c of the bug splatter!!!!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 05:45 PM

I did the repairing twice myself. The switches are crap, but they can be soldered out, cleaned with contactspray or replaced.
To get the switches out only 4 pins for each switch have to be desoldered.
Not so difficult, but it took me at least one hour to get them out, cleaning and place them back again.
Now I have soldered extra wires to the switch pins and these wires are now loose hanging under my hadlight just in case one of the switches goes down again.
But....it is not so easy...the switches can also be in permanent make mode and then my backup wires which i can use to do a make contact will not work.
And.....the rubber pins of push buttons are to weak and can easy fold double or slide away from the plastin pen on which they have to press in order to click the switch.
And...these plastic pins can get stucked.
Crap crap crap.
The best solution is to desolder the crap switches, place wires (only 2 needed per switch), and connect these wires to outside waterproof switches, like horn switches.

Last edited by ben zwart; 10-25-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode