How much hi-vis too much ? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How much hi-vis too much ?

I've always been Hi-Viz (yellow helmet, yellow jacket) but I decided to add some reflective tape to my bike. Mainly sticking it to the white areas, so as not to make the bike visually unappealing in normal daylight, I ended up with the following. See pics.

So, your opinions - does the reflective tape detract from the look of the bike ? Is the tape obvious to the casual look ? I know I feel happier/safer riding the bike like this, but are people looking at me going 'Oh dear, that bike is gawdy'.

Or is gawdy a price to pay for safety ?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8723 (2).jpg (88.1 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8720.jpg (43.8 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8723.jpg (29.0 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8722.jpg (47.3 KB, 311 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 01:27 PM

hi !

that's a new look for tron legacy bike ?

no seriousely, i think that's a realy good idea to be spoted on the night

but personaly, a bit too much, i think it can bee improoved to be less "pimp my ride"
more "pro"

but now no-one can say "i didn't see him"

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 03:37 PM

Garage
Might work out better with so much reflective. Cagers will stop and wonder what exactly was that?

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 04:16 PM

too much

Too much tape for my liking but you did remind me to put a couple of strips on my V as well. I wear a Hi Vis jacket and helmet with reflective stripes as well. Be safe, Be seen.

it is a jungle out there!!!

I figured it out!! A good day is when you can't see through your visor or windshield b/c of the bug splatter!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhidbeyRider View Post
I've always been Hi-Viz (yellow helmet, yellow jacket) but I decided to add some reflective tape to my bike. Mainly sticking it to the white areas, so as not to make the bike visually unappealing in normal daylight, I ended up with the following. See pics.

So, your opinions - does the reflective tape detract from the look of the bike ? Is the tape obvious to the casual look ? I know I feel happier/safer riding the bike like this, but are people looking at me going 'Oh dear, that bike is gawdy'.

Or is gawdy a price to pay for safety ?

Looks like you'll be visible, which IS the result you're looking for!!!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 05:25 PM

My top case has 2 stripes of tape and the givi racks have a strip on each as well.
I am sure to be seen now as well!

I've been rear ended twice in 4 years. It is not fun... both times "I didn't see him!"
Also have 4 small pieces on my helmet.

Hooligan
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 05:42 PM

I like it. It will look slightly different with you on it with your gear. My bike is black and there have been a few moments when I wonder if people see me side on as all the lights and reflective jackets face front and back.

Might investigate some black reflective strips now.

----------------------------------------
Victoria, Australia
Versys 650 (KLE-650) 2012
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorNurse View Post
My bike is black and there have been a few moments when I wonder if people see me side on as all the lights and reflective jackets face front and back.

Might investigate some black reflective strips now.

Same here I did the rims with reflective tape and it really stands out. Now my KLR look somewhat like the OPs bike only with more red on the rear.

My thought is if it keep me alive and healthy I'm for it...after all Pain HURTS me!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 06:45 PM
MTS

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 07:11 PM

Sorry I'm late on this... but I've been on the road (cage) all day... So here it is: HOLY MOLEY that's a whole lotta tape!!!

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 09:01 PM

My secret is...stay off the roads at night if at all possible. Bad things happen at night, except when you're in bed (usually).

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 09:12 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
My secret is...stay off the roads at night if at all possible. Bad things happen at night, except when you're in bed (usually).
Easy for me to say I do not commute, just a for fun rider! Try and stay in day light.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 10-13-2013 at 09:21 PM.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. No one has really said 'Urrgh, that looks horrible' so that's good for me. I want to be seen, and for $17usd for a roll of tape, I thought that was a pretty easy and cheap way of doing things.

Driving at night these past few days in my car, I have noticed how much bikes are 'hidden' by the headlights of the car BEHIND/following them. The one bike light can look like one of the headlights lights on the car, and so the bike is not seen. It was this that made me look again at what I can do to be a bit more visible. As for the rims - circular lights certainly make people take notice since it's unusual. Again, a good thing.

So, I hope to stay safe by being seen.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 08:31 AM

I think it's great! I'm a believer in being seen. I think you've accomplished your task quite well. At first glance of the first pic I only noticed the tape on the swing arm, and that's because I was looking for it. I was surprised at how much reflective tape there was in the pics with the flash.

I give it

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 01:23 PM

IMO, hi-vis is amazing, you can't have too much. It breaks down to opinion. I have a second brake light on my bike with some reflective strips.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 06:11 PM

The back:

Front:

But the lights speak for themselves
Dual 65watt and a true 3000 lumen. It is blinding. Has dual mode hooked to the high and low beam. Pictured is the high beam. the running light is approximately 200lumen as a marker light when on low.

Hooligan

Last edited by Freerydejunky; 10-14-2013 at 06:40 PM.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerydejunky View Post
The back:

Front:

But the lights speak for themselves
Dual 65watt and a true 3000 lumen. It is blinding. Has dual mode hooked to the high and low beam. Pictured is the high beam. the running light is approximately 200lumen as a marker light when on low.

I like the yellow sticker on the left back side of the top case.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 07:48 PM

OP, looks fine and achieves what you're looking for at night. The night shots actually look really cool. I don't really care what I look like riding, as long as I can continue to do so! Be safe, there are a lot of inattentive cagers out there!
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 06:55 AM

Wow...! that's loud...!
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 08:04 AM

The tape isn't too visible in the light and does what it's supposed to in the dark, mission accomplished.
I think the Versys is kinda ugly anyway, adding functionality to it isn't exactly taboo. I bought mine for commuting, so anything that makes the commute more comfortable or safer is alright by me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode