Top Box/Rack Help - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Top Box/Rack Help

I've found some scattered information here in regards to bag setups, but I have a few specific questions.

Initially I'm looking to just purchase the top box and rack, but I need advice as to compatible side racks/bags as well. Am I correct in understanding that some rack systems do not fit with certain top box racks and vice versa?

Anyway, back to top boxes... the main purpose will be for two up comfort. Like many wives/girlfriends, my wife will be more comfortable riding with something behind her. Can anyone comment in the comfort department? Are they all relatively positioned the same distance from the passenger? Are certain boxes more suitable for two up riding (I've seen some with padding)?

And what about racks? I know certain racks can only interface with certain boxes. And about build quality (I just read a post where someones Givi rack had broke)?

Any info would be appreciated as well as pics if you got em'. Appearance will also be a deciding factor.

Thanks in advance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

explore. experience. evolve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 06:48 AM

depends entirely on what type of panniers / top box you want to end up with

if you want to use the Givi/Kawasaki OEM panniers then you need to buy a Givi Rack. I guess you will also be able to use a kappa rack if you want seeing as Kappa and Givi are virtually synonimous with Givi

I forget the precise detail

but I think for the V35 panniers (the saem as the OEM K ones), Givi are cheaper but don't say 'VERSYS'
your need the panniers.. duh
the PLX447 pannier frame
the FZ447 rack
the appropriate M5M mounting plate, forget the details but a Monolock and monokey use different M5x mounting plates you can fit a monlock (the cheaper top box) with monokey panniers

one thing that is for definate you cannot use OEM panniers rack with OEM top box...not possible. IIRC the OEM top box is SW Motech & the OEM panniers are Givi. if you stick to the same mounting supplier (ie all Givi, all Sw Motech and so on you will be OK). the choice of pannier affects the choice of pannier rack personally the Givi panniers look 'right' to my mind, the likes of Pelican, trax and so on look butt ugly.. but thats my personal preference.

you may be able to fit the larger e41 panniers to the same PLX rack

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=5530.0

Last edited by healdem; 07-01-2009 at 06:52 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
That isn't possible....V35 bags are the only ones that fit the PLX racks. All of the other Givi Monokey bags are interchangeable on the same racks (E21 to E41 for instance) but the V35's are not. IMHO, no matter which bags side bags you choose, go with the SW-Motech racks. From my experience with my own racks and the pictures I've seen of the Givi racks, the Motechs are just designed and engineered better. I put a Motech top rack on first, and then added the side racks and saddlebags a couple of months later without a problem.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 09:05 AM

I haven't seen the Motech racks in person, but I got the Givi tail rack and case and it is very well made and designed. I'm not so attracted to the case mounting plate, but its not ugly.

I got the Givi rack so I could expand it and add some Givi saddle bags later. If you start with the saddle bags, make sure you get both the tail rack and saddle bag rack, not just the saddle bag only rack.

The Kawasaki saddle bags, though Givi made, are saddle only. You can't expand the rack to allow for a tail case as well.

I started with the tail rack and case, so I can upgrade to saddle bags when I've got cash to burn. (seriously, Givi motorcycle luggage is EXPENSIVE, then again there are BMW guys with the same stuff I've got so they price accordingly)

I'm very happy with my case and the price wasn't too bad, unlike the saddle bags...

- 2008 Versys: H&B Cage, Kona Throttle Lock, Fenda-Extenda, Givi Windscreen, Givi Monorack/V46, and Motorwerk Lowering Kit
- 2002 Ninja EX250-H13: Nothing! They don't make accessories for the H13...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
depends entirely on what type of panniers / top box you want to end up with

if you want to use the Givi/Kawasaki OEM panniers then you need to buy a Givi Rack. I guess you will also be able to use a kappa rack if you want seeing as Kappa and Givi are virtually synonimous with Givi

I forget the precise detail

but I think for the V35 panniers (the saem as the OEM K ones), Givi are cheaper but don't say 'VERSYS'
your need the panniers.. duh
the PLX447 pannier frame
the FZ447 rack
the appropriate M5M mounting plate, forget the details but a Monolock and monokey use different M5x mounting plates you can fit a monlock (the cheaper top box) with monokey panniers

one thing that is for definate you cannot use OEM panniers rack with OEM top box...not possible. IIRC the OEM top box is SW Motech & the OEM panniers are Givi. if you stick to the same mounting supplier (ie all Givi, all Sw Motech and so on you will be OK). the choice of pannier affects the choice of pannier rack personally the Givi panniers look 'right' to my mind, the likes of Pelican, trax and so on look butt ugly.. but thats my personal preference.

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=5530.0
If I understand correctly, since I have the Kawi OEM top rack (very STOUT) then I would have to buy SW Motech side racks to add hard bags???
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 10:12 AM

Check with your SW motech dealer.

one thing I can guarantee is that the Monokey racks don't fit with the K OEM top box. Whether there is a SW motech rack that fits with the OEM Topbox rail I dunno.

From waht Ive seen of the Givi PLX pannier rack I cannot see why anyone wouldn't want to use it, assuming htey are intending buying the V35 panniers

if you get the PL447 pannier racks you can use other panniers such as the e41, E41's cannot be fitted apparently to the PLX rack
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcctx View Post
If I understand correctly, since I have the Kawi OEM top rack (very STOUT) then I would have to buy SW Motech side racks to add hard bags???
From the picture at the Kawasaki website, the OEM rack sure appears to be sourced from SW-Motech. If you have time, take the plastics of of one side of your bike and post pictures of how the rack mounts. From those pics, we should be able to tell if the Motech side racks will work. I'm 90% sure right now that they will, based on what I know....
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by under View Post
The Kawasaki saddle bags, though Givi made, are saddle only. You can't expand the rack to allow for a tail case as well.
I think it's better to state that you can't expand the rack to allow for a tail case using the OEM brackets. Kawasaki (in their infinite wisdom ) has apparently decided to use SW-Motech as the supplier for the tail rack and Givi for the side racks. I would be willing to bet that if you bought OEM side racks, a Givi tail rack would mount up.

The easy way to solve all this is to not buy factory accessories in the first place....go straight to the sources, pay less, and get parts that you know will work together.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 02:40 PM

Im glad someone asked this question. Ive been unsure as to what to get. I think we need a stickey with all this info laid out in a retarded easy to understand fashion.

I want a trunk, and eventually ad the side bags. Id like to get saddle bags that match the color of my green versys. I read everything so far and Im sorry to say Im still not quite sure what I should buy. Can anyone sift through the crap and just post a cut and dry list?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone

So, aside from the Givi top boxes what are my other choices? How about two up comfort?

Thanks folks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
I want a trunk, and eventually ad the side bags. Id like to get saddle bags that match the color of my green versys. I read everything so far and Im sorry to say Im still not quite sure what I should buy. Can anyone sift through the crap and just post a cut and dry list?
IMHO, to get what you want, go to TwistedThrottle.com and order a SW-Motech top rack, top box (and whatever adapter you need for that box). Then when you're ready, go back and order a set of Motech racks for the Givi V35 saddlebags. You can either order the Givi V35's themselves, or the Kawi factory bags....they come off the same production line according to all reports. The OEM color panels should fit in on the V35's just the same as they do on the OEM bags.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 07:13 PM

Thanks smurf!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

This is what I'm thinking, if anyone that has this set-up would like to chime in I'd appreciate it... SW-Motech racks and Trax boxes.. initially just going with the top box setup (do you think that will look ok?) ..and black, to go with the new paint

http://www.between2wheels.com/betwee...ok-versys.html

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 01:11 PM

SW-MOTECH Quick Lock EVO-Carrier Side Racks w/ locking Quick-locks, SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack and Trax sidecases and topcase.

I'm extremely happy with the racks.

The Trax topcase fits my Shoei RF1000 and sundries and the side cases will let you take a whole lot else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TraX_37s_Sidecases_TraX_38_Topcase.JPG (377.8 KB, 433 views)

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:43 AM

I have a related question about a rack/top case setup. I bought a used Corbin seat, with backrest, from a former member of this forum. I would like to get a rack that allows me to mount my fake-Givi JCWhitney top box (large) on the back while still using the Corbin backrest. Has anyone done this? I'm leaning toward the SWM rack, but I may not be able to use the backrest with the top box mounted. I suppose there would be less reason to use both since the box can be used as a backrest. Just thinking out loud. I also will probably never mount side cases on this bike so the rack manufacturer is not as important. I just need as much "rearward" clearance as I can get to give myself a chance of using the backrest.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:50 AM

Vercati, think you would be better off putting a small pad on the topbox itself. I know Givi make one, not sure if JCW does. My wife has armor in the back of her bike jacket, so she doesn't' bother with the bleacher pad she used to use.

Machog

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:05 PM

I think you're right and I'm trying to over-design and make it more complicated than it needs to be.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 11:17 AM

Does anyone know of a topbox rack out there that will fit with the Kawi OEM side racks? Do I have to fabricate one?
thx
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

So I just found out that my parents have purchased the Kawasaki OEM trunk and rack for our wedding anniversary , love those guys! I will likely not be adding side cases so I'm not concerned about compatibility. My question now is; Can those with the OEM setup chime in with some pictures and feedback? Pics of the inside too, maybe? And I notice that some people are adding aftermarket pads for two-up comfort.. are these easy to find?

14,000+ miles and still piling them up! Loving this bike

Thanks again for all the feedback

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode