Trax boxes, how durable?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Trax boxes, how durable??

I am thinking of getting the Trax 37 litre boxes. I already have the SW Motech quick disconnect racks.

I ride quite a bit on gravel roads, and some of them get pretty rough and bumpy.

I am wondering , those who have these boxes and racks, are they pretty sturdy? Do they hold up to rough washboard roads, or would they shake themselves to death?

I don't want to have to always be working on them, or listening to them rattle and bang because the mounts are loose.

Would appreciate any feedback from those who have experience with the Trax boxes.

Many thanks August

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 01:01 PM

I know you asked this question back in June but if you have not purchased them you may want to check out some BMW fourms. I think they are pretty durable and for the price they should be. However I hear they leak in heavy rain. I talked to AP photographer up in PA this week that had three sets on his GS 1200 and they all leaked. He uses his bike for all his assignments so he logs tons of miles in all sorts of weather. He said that one set leaked so bad that after a driving rain storm he had standing water in the bottom. Not good when your hauling around thousands of dollars in photo gear and laptops!! I think there is a post here on this board about them leaking also. Do a search. Anyway I went with Happy Trails for the price and because they are water tight. The happy Trails cost me less for the bags and racks then for a set of Trax panniers.

Last edited by douglasgraham; 08-14-2009 at 01:05 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
FWIW: I use soft saddle bags, and put 2 green garbage bags in, with my stuff inside the garbage bag which is INSIDE the other garbage bag. On my recent Alaska trip we had several days of LOTS of rain, and my gear/ clothes stayed dry... except when a can of beer in there leaked.... Here's what my KLR and I looked like.
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1KLR.jpg (106.5 KB, 255 views)

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 01:21 PM

Just pack your stuff in dry bags if you are worried about rain. I wouldn't rely on ANY saddle bag to keep my gear dry.

http://www.bigskyfishing.com/product...uctid=50020014

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

I did get the Trax boxes, I am very happy with them. Solid mounting, and no rattles or shaking.

They did leak a very small amount from the corner plastic pieces. I used silicone sealant both inside and out side on the corners. The top gasket does not leak.

After curing the sealant for 3 days, I used the hose again, and doused the heck out of them, both high pressure, and low pressure. Much more water than I would ever experience in a rain storm.

They do not leak at all after sealing them. I am confident that no rain will ever find its way into the boxes.

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 07:41 AM

They don't leak!!

I tested my TRAX boxes by taking them to a carwash. I put the hose to them from every possible angle..four minutes later and not a drop of H2O got into them.

Duarable...I crashed four time in Baja...they will "pop" off and all I had to do is slip them back on. They took a beating!!!

I am sure that they are just as water tight as any other metal box.

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 09:27 AM

That’s great that you got a set that does not leak there are a few others on this board that have had good luck with them also. There are also many others that have had bad luck and if you go the BMW board you will get an ear full about leaks. Mine still leaks even after replacing the gasket and trying the few fixes that are out there. My best friend that has a full set leaks so bad that after riding in heavy rain there is standing water. I guess some work great and some are sub standard. Pretty sad for such an over engineered expense product.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 10:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to snarky Send a message via MSN to snarky Send a message via Yahoo to snarky Send a message via Skype™ to snarky
I think twisted throttle now gives away 'free' dry bags with each trax case.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 12:29 AM

They do, and the one time I laid over my bike the bottom corner got a little scuffed, but other than that no damage. The SW-Moto locks are absolute shat though, and they use a smaller size than the standard mailbox lock. I haven't had any problem with the leaking, but they do rattle a bit if you can't get the clips tight enough.

If you want uber-durable, I would reccomend getting Pelicans or the Happy Trails rather than the Alu-Trax boxes.

If it weren't for the over $1500 I've already dropped on the Trax set, I'd be looking at a different set.

Last edited by alex182; 10-16-2010 at 01:06 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 07:48 AM

Yes, the trax box rattles. My brother says my bike sounds like a pickup coming down his long dirt drive. You can hear that dam thing before you hear the engine. All I trust to put in it any more is clothes and if it rains on a long trip then I have wet clothes unless I put them in a dry bag. Never have to do that with my happy trails. If your looking for good solid panniers or trunk box look at happy trails their stuff works and its at a price point that makes your wallet a little heavier.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 10:37 PM

I havnt got to test my Trax boxes in weather yet, but the did come with some big dry bags that are pretty heavy duty. I imagine one day they'll get a crash test. They look good if nothing else.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 10:54 PM

Over 20,000 miles of daily usage on my Trax set. 2008 vintage (yes they leak-I got the waterproof liners from TT, the new manufacture have the plastic corners sealed at the factory-likely helps).

Durable? They make acceptable engine guards......no Trax were hurt in this "demo"

Here they are loaded up before the demo:

No complaints about the locks, mounts, racks......if they do rattle (I don't hear anything from mine) it's masked well by the common Versys fairing buzz's.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 10:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to snarky Send a message via MSN to snarky Send a message via Yahoo to snarky Send a message via Skype™ to snarky
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2RON View Post
When my versys grows up, it wants to be like your's.
How does the black powder coat seem to hold up?

Last edited by snarky; 10-21-2010 at 11:10 AM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 02:56 PM

I ride it daily, it is garaged at night; the finish is very durable.

I have a couple of nicks where the folding chair I carried (below the top case in the photo) rubbed during the 5,000 mile trip but otherwise the finishes are unblemished in the 13 months they have been on the bike.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 11:52 PM

What size cases are you using of the TraX? The 45 liters look awfully big, I don't know whether to go with those or the 37 liter ones. Wouldn't mind the extra storage if they're not too bulky (or too heavy!).
thanks
dm

DM
2009 Kawasaki Versys, "Dr Doom"
2009 Suzuki Burgman 650, "StormTrooper"
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400, "Yoda"

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 08:16 AM

How do you disassemble the corners to seal them (or maybe you don't disassemble them)? I bought a used set of 45L cases, and they should be here today, so maybe it will be obvious once I see them.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 08:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I would just use some clear slilicone window sealant around the plastic corners. Probably just the inside is necessary. I plan on doing this to my top box those weekend...it fIled the hose test miserably....but it looks good
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcym View Post
What size cases are you using of the TraX? The 45 liters look awfully big, I don't know whether to go with those or the 37 liter ones. Wouldn't mind the extra storage if they're not too bulky (or too heavy!).
thanks
dm
The ones in the pictures are the 37 l sidecases and a 38 l topcase.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 05:02 PM

They do look good. Mine were a little more damaged than I thought. The one is split at the one corner (metal pulled away from the plastic), and it is hard to get on and off the rack. Hopefully a little bending and forming will get it working right again.

Definitely going to have to silicone the corners though, as I can see through that one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode