New Micro Windscreen! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Micro Windscreen!

I just started a thread in the For Sale area. I tried antman's wind screen idea and I LOVE it. Wind noise gone and I like the look better.
If anyone else wants one, I can make you one for $60 bucks for the cut and drilled screen, mounting hardware, detailed instructions with pics and material included to get rid of your buzzing we all get (since you will have the cowl appart, you might as well fix the buzz). With this kit, you will have your screen off and the new one on (with no more buzzing) in 20 minutes or so.
Also, I could do one an inch or so longer and / or mirrored screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen.JPG (94.6 KB, 1152 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 10:18 PM

I want to like it but there is a part of me that knows there is something missing. Looking at that picture hurts my brain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 12:17 PM

rider, can you slightly adjust it? I think it would a better screen if it were tapered back just a tad and not cut evenly straight across. If so I'd be interested. already have the buzz fixed, so would I get a discount?

and more pictures might get you more takers

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 01:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch
Perfect. I like the looks and the ideal of almost no screen works. I turn mine upside down and lean it back during the summer. Looks great rider4c
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmuch View Post
Perfect. I like the looks and the ideal of almost no screen works. I turn mine upside down and lean it back during the summer. Looks great rider4c
I've recently did that too golf, and agree, like the feel and look of it that way. However, I think it's more suited for warmer weather in that format.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

I will try to get some more pics soon. If I go with a taller screen (I may be able to get another inch) I could taper the screen more on top to make it less flat.
Regarding the stuff I through in for to stop the buzz, that is more of a favor to any one who wants a screen. The sheilds I get to make these cost me about $22 and change and I put about an hour + into mine to cut and sand then buff the edges. I got mine pretty clean so the cut looks just about factory.
I figure that if some one is doing this, they may as well take care of the buzz.
That being said, I could do a taller one and ta[er it a bit more. I am still in search of something to use to try to make more of a bubble screen. There seems to be very little options for screens for these bikes unless you want tall or super tall. For me, I like the cleaner and less screen look.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider4C View Post
I will try to get some more pics soon. If I go with a taller screen (I may be able to get another inch) I could taper the screen more on top to make it less flat.
Regarding the stuff I through in for to stop the buzz, that is more of a favor to any one who wants a screen. The sheilds I get to make these cost me about $22 and change and I put about an hour + into mine to cut and sand then buff the edges. I got mine pretty clean so the cut looks just about factory.
I figure that if some one is doing this, they may as well take care of the buzz.
That being said, I could do a taller one and ta[er it a bit more. I am still in search of something to use to try to make more of a bubble screen. There seems to be very little options for screens for these bikes unless you want tall or super tall. For me, I like the cleaner and less screen look.

Hey don't forget to add in my 20% royalty fee!

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 04:37 AM

please forgive my photoshop lack of skills.

The first photo is one that is angled, and the second pic is one that you currently have that is straight across.

And it doesn't have to have quite that much angle on it either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg versys_taper.jpg (17.6 KB, 442 views)
File Type: jpg versys_straight.jpg (17.6 KB, 421 views)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 08:58 PM

In fine tuning this screen, I have found that it works best (for me at least at 5'10") to position the screen as close to the instrument cluster as possible. I painted the inside of it with flat black. I did this since there is no need to see through it and also if water gets under there it wont matter. No water streaks will show. If its clear, you will catch hell trying to clean under there.

This position is the quietest and eliminates all wind noise and buffeting. I found that before with it slightly raised, it actually projects the wind blast up towards the bottom of your helmet making slightly more noise. With it in this lowest possible position, the wind blast is at your belly and your helmet is in truly clean air.

I also added some black windscreen trim to clean up the look.
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...item=MRX_WT2_G
It is slightly oversized for this application as an actual wind screen is a bit thicker than a face shield. I drilled a small hole and used a small zip tie to secure it in the center.

The result is a pretty nice look and awesome performance. Lets start a revolution!

"When It Rains, Get Wet"

Last edited by antman325; 06-25-2009 at 09:00 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 09:18 PM

I like it, get me on the list!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 11:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch
I started playing with mine this weekend. 100 degrees in alabama. I found a windshield off another project. I like it. The least windshield the better. I took off the madstad adjustable brackets and left the plate. Just bolted it to the plate. I'm still interested in the micro shield.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 12:57 PM

nice idea, 4c. I don't really like the looks of it, but love the idea. props for innovation!
I like the looks of golfmuch's shield a lot...I'm really happy w/the stock shield upside down and the bottom dremeled off to match the headlight curve, though.
I'm gonna try and copy that shape with a few extra inches on top just to see what's what, though I suspect it's really not going to help.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 05:59 PM

Cool minis. I made one too when the temps hit 95 a few weeks ago.

I think I like rider4c's version better.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 02:02 PM

I just remove the screen and brackets. I like the no windscreen look and have no wind issues. This works all summer and it's free.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 11:49 PM

rider4c--sent you a pm
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
Cool minis. I made one too when the temps hit 95 a few weeks ago.

I think I like rider4c's version better.
Is that a BMW sticker on the side? God help us all!
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 02:15 AM

BMW stickers can be easily upgraded.

Just joking
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by amuser View Post
Is that a BMW sticker on the side? God help us all!
Sadly when I got my Versys it had red BMW logo with kle apose to bmW but I took them off and put them on the trunk box BC I got sick of people calling Sylvester a bmW

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
Sadly when I got my Versys it had red BMW logo with kle apose to bmW but I took them off and put them on the trunk box BC I got sick of people calling Sylvester a bmW
Is that why you tried to sell your bike?

The V1K would be a better 2-up puttering-around shriner's bike I suppose.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 12:32 PM

That's not for me, as I'm pretty happy with the Madstad on mine. However, I must say that is one trick looking little screen - it gives the Versys a custom look. Outstanding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode