Kaoko Throttle Lock - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
Question Kaoko Throttle Lock

Anyone try out the Kaoko Throttle Lock cruise control? It is listed at Twisted Throttle as fitting the Versys and looks like a good system for anyone doing a lot of highway miles. Here is the url for it: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/4755/652/

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 12:00 PM

I've never tried that particular model, but I do have a Throttlemeister on my V.....for long distance, non-technical (aka no twisties) riding, throttle locks are great. Keep in mind that this is not a cruise control...you still have to pay attention and adjust your speed going up and down hills. The advantage to having one is that it allows you to relax you right hand and just ride.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 12:48 PM
psc

I have one on the V. It works on friction like most of the throttle locks. Installation is a five minute affair: 1 minute to install, 4 minutes to finish off the whisky. After some minor friction adjustments/calibrations, it works fine and is low profile. I no longer have a sore right wrist.

Peter

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 04:23 PM

I have one....Love it! Sure is nice to be able to shake your throttle hand out every once in a while.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 05:47 PM

I've got one of these, not very elegant, but works great and only $25.00 as I recall.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/de...can_1600_Nomad

Probably find it a bit cheaper if you hunt around..........see what I mean!
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...t=vista+cruise

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
Thumbs up

Thanks, guys. I think I will order one and put it on. Seems to be just what I wanted and the price is right too...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 10:14 PM

I also installed the Vista Cruise, but used the one made for Honda/Yamaha.
It takes a little more work, but I like the looks. also I have big hands, this one doesn't force me to give up any grip real estate as it locks the throttle tube instead of the grip. The only issues are that you have to file a ridge off of the throttle tube and drill and tap a small hole in the back of the throttle housing.

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 04:19 PM

I am wondering if you had to alter the actual rubber grip at all with that vista cruise. I have been looking at a lot of throttle locks and i really like the looks of that vista cruise, it blends really well and looks like it is suppose to be there. If you could post a picture of the end of the bar I would really appreciate it.

Some day you will be counting the minutes instead of the days, then you will be dead, and all you will have is the Experiences.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 07:32 PM

Since I have added Grip Puppies, there is nothing to see.
I had to trim about an eighth of an inch from the end of the stock grip, as I had to slide the grip away from the throttle housing that far.

This throttle lock takes a little more work, but I agree, it looks like it belongs there.

The Vista Cruise takes about one eight inch of grip real estate, which is important to me, as I have large hands.

BTW, I drilled and tapped a 6-32 hole and used a stainless steel socket head cap screw for the stay.

2008 Versys, SOLD!

Last edited by bscott; 07-16-2009 at 09:53 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 10:55 PM

Excellent excellent! After many hours of research I have found that this is the way to go. I am ordering one as we speak, thanks alot!

Some day you will be counting the minutes instead of the days, then you will be dead, and all you will have is the Experiences.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 09:31 PM

Are you getting the Kaoko? I love mine, it is probably the best throttle lock I have ever used.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 07:39 PM

I am going with the vista cruise for the honda/yamahas. I think it looks really nice even though it takes some modifying and its cheap!

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 10:14 PM

Do all of these allow you to move the throttle even when locked? Would feel safer if that is the case, especially when just starting to use it.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 11:41 PM

I can't speak for all throttle locks, but the Vista Cruise I used does allow you to turn the throttle when locked.
Either way.

The word lock is a bit of a misnomer here.
It is only tight enough to overcome the return spring pressure.

You can ride the bike normally with the throttle locked, the only difference you will notice is that the throttle has a little more resistance and will not return to idle when the "lock" is on.

On all bikes I've owned with throttle friction adjustment, I set them to not return to idle. I prefer to return it myself.
Mind you, that is my preference and I've done it for 35 years of riding.

2008 Versys, SOLD!

Last edited by bscott; 09-07-2009 at 11:47 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 04:41 PM

An Oring between the bar end and the grip costs 50 cents, and does the same thing. I have used them in the past with success, but don't really feel the need for a throttle lock. I prefer back roads to droning along on the slab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode