Sheepskin seat covers - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Sheepskin seat covers

Anyone recommend the sheepskin covers. I saw some for sale at the ROT rally ($169), and am really thinking about getting one. But not for that price.

Any suggestions on where to buy or what kind?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 08:03 PM

Try here, www.alaskaleather.com. Good service and way cheaper. Type in "deadsheep"in the promo code and get a bit more off.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 08:42 PM

I can second alaskaleather.com. Great product.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 08:43 PM

I got one from alaskan leather as well. I'm not sure if I like it yet or not. I need to go on a longer ride before I make my decision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 08:51 PM

I'm thinking this might be a good investment.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 09:27 PM

I'll add another vote for Alaska Leather....quality product, good price, quick service. I ordered a pad on Tuesday and had it in my hands on Saturday courtesy of the USPS....
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 09:31 PM

So are you able to ride more then an hour without wanting to get off the bike? I'm thinking even with a Corbin seat I'd still have the same problem. I was also looking at the Airhawk. I'm not sure which to drop the coin on first. Someone posted they had both and that was the right setup. I just can't afford both right now. I got a good size trip the first of July and need to get something pretty quick.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 10:14 PM

I've got a ProPad that came with my bike but since I've had a custom seat made I no longer use it.
It's in perfect shape.

Goto: thepropad.com and you can read about it. Mine is the large size with sheepskin.
They are $129 + shipping, I'll take $75 including shipping.

No disappointments.

Dan
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help - i like the Alaskan product. Not to pricey either. Anything to help the monkey but on the 200+ mile rides.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 09:19 AM

I have the Alaskan sheepskin with a Corbin seat and I still have the same issues on a long ride. The sheepskin helps and the Corbin helped a lot, but I am learning that you just have to get off every now and then. I really like the stock seat for about 30 minutes. I can ride on the Corbin for a couple of hours and the sheepskin adds little more to that. After a while even the sheepskin will pack down and get hard.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 10:33 AM

I like the Alaska Leather sheepskin cover. I have the regular and gel and the regular is better in my opinion. What I do with the sheepskin is carry it in my topcase and when the butt starts hurting I put clip it on. I can easily go another 150 to 200 miles on top of what I accomplished prior to clipping on the cover. It gives you a nice option. You can even take it back off after an hour or two and ride some more. "Cycling" it on and off throughout the day seems to work best for me. Another added benefit is you can put it on something and use it for a seating pad at the camp site or use it as your pillow or.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
I like the Alaska Leather sheepskin cover. I have the regular and gel and the regular is better in my opinion. What I do with the sheepskin is carry it in my topcase and when the butt starts hurting I put clip it on. I can easily go another 150 to 200 miles on top of what I accomplished prior to clipping on the cover. It gives you a nice option. You can even take it back off after an hour or two and ride some more. "Cycling" it on and off throughout the day seems to work best for me. Another added benefit is you can put it on something and use it for a seating pad at the camp site or use it as your pillow or.
+1

'15 DL1000
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 09:09 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedges View Post
So are you able to ride more then an hour without wanting to get off the bike? I'm thinking even with a Corbin seat I'd still have the same problem. I was also looking at the Airhawk. I'm not sure which to drop the coin on first. Someone posted they had both and that was the right setup. I just can't afford both right now. I got a good size trip the first of July and need to get something pretty quick.
That would be me. I've got the Corbin saddle, Air Hawk, and Alaska Leather sheepskin buttpad. Between all of the above, I can cycle through the Air Hawk, buttpad & bare Corbin to give me a far greater saddle time range than ever before. Like Mike, I mix it up throughout the day to give my a$$ options. It works, period.

As stated above, use the "deadsheep" discount code at Alaska Leather for a 10% discount. Well worth the coin.

Also, RL Motorcycle is a great company to deal with on the Air Hawk. I've dealt with them several times over the years and find their customer service & expedited delivery first rate. http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi

Like you, I've got a fairly big trip starting next Wednesday. All in all, I'll rack up around 1000 miles. I'm REALLY glad I've got this setup!

Last edited by MackDaddy; 06-17-2009 at 09:13 AM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
IKEA sells sheepskins for around $30 apiece.
Ed
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Ed
I dont doubt they do but I have no complaint about what I paid for the ones from Alaska Leather. They are nice and thick, cut to fit the bike and have the mounting hardware already attached to them.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Ed
there is a large variety of sheepskins. The ones Alaska Lather uses are different than the ones at Ikea (at least from the ones I saw here). Mine has seen more than 25,000km so far, and is still in the same shape, it didn't flatten.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 11:40 AM

I use stock seat, Airhawk and Alaska dead sheep.

On 300-500 mile days I don't have any problems, as long as I stop about every 150-200 or so to stretch out.

Less miles than that I just use the sheep, don't know why but the sheep alone makes a huge difference. It dosen't add much padding-must be PFM

Machog

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
I dont doubt they do but I have no complaint about what I paid for the ones from Alaska Leather. They are nice and thick, cut to fit the bike and have the mounting hardware already attached to them.
Glad to know that about mounting hardware. I just ordered one yesterday and wondered how it was going to mount.

Blue 09 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode