Cooler grille - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cooler grille

Hi
I have a question , anyone had ever any problems with the cooler I mean the damage from stones for example . I think about installing the cooler grille
Attached Images
File Type: jpg osłona chłodnicy Versys 2.jpg (62.8 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg osłona chłodnicy Versys.jpg (59.6 KB, 214 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2o2 View Post
Hi
I have a question , anyone had ever any problems with the cooler I mean the damage from stones for example . I think about installing the cooler grille
When I first got mine, there were several who said they had busted radiators. I then installed the Evotech grill.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2o2 View Post
Hi
No visible damage in 10k miles on mine. I did add a fender extender early on, which helps with stuff kicked up from the tire. I thought about adding a cover, but they're all pretty expensive, and I really didn't want to restrict the air flow to my coolant system. Today is the first day in probably a month that it's been under 100 here. It was 110 a week ago

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
When I first got mine, there were several who said they had busted radiators. I then installed the Evotech grill.
+1 - cheap insurance

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 08:13 PM

I also have the Evotech AND a Fenda Extenda...because my fan got taken out once by a stray gravel rock that bounced off the engine and then jammed between the fan and the back of the radiator, burning out the fan motor. That was one freaky expensive gravel chip. If you've priced a new fan, you'll be in shock - you could buy a new dishwasher for what the parts houses want for one. (EBay is a better source.)

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 09:17 AM

Several of us have gone to a hardware store and gotten a piece of grating you'd use to keep leaves out of the gutter and cut it to size. Inexpensive and quick fix.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 09:38 AM

I made two guards with laser cutting, I use one for the radiator that has a flap to reduce dirt in the middle line of the radiator and another to cover the rear suspension and engine, the cost was around $ 70

The gray-haired bikers do not get to that age of pure luck
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
I made two guards with laser cutting, I use one for the radiator that has a flap to reduce dirt in the middle line of the radiator and another to cover the rear suspension and engine, the cost was around $ 70

Lion - to MY eyes, you're leaving too many LARGE, unprotected areas. Here are two pics of what I made up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guardMk2(1) copy.jpg (51.9 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg guardMk2(2) copy.jpg (74.9 KB, 188 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-18-2013 at 01:38 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Thx you all for your replies , a lot of cool ideas but for now most I like its a Evotech grille btw very nice instruction Kirk. Currently motorcycle season in Poland is going to end and Versys is going to rest in a garage for 5-6 month So I'll have a lot of time to pick something :P
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 01:38 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I installed a RoMatech laser cut stainless steel radiator guard (won a used one in mint condition on Ebay... I outbid "MorganAnytime" at the last second, back when member names were fully displayed. I resisted the temptation to send him a message stating: "Anytime, Morgan... Anytime at all.") and a Fenda Extenda on my new Versys before my very first ride.

Some have had to remove the rad guard in extreme heat conditions to prevent overheating.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 02:22 PM

To answer Heavy Water's question, never had any issues without using one in 30,000 but I don't ride huge miles on a gravel roads either. IMO a decently large rear mud guard is much more useful and maybe a front fender extender. The best protection you can buy for the Versys IMO is crash bars. You're a lot more likely to drop the bike on it's side than smash the radiator with a large rock at high speed. 99% of motorcycles don't have them, even dedicated dirt bikes, and rad issues are rare. Most cars expose the lower part of the radiator under the bumper to road debris too and don't have issues either.

Last edited by versys_rider; 09-19-2013 at 02:42 PM.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 02:29 PM

Garage
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by versys_rider View Post
To answer Heavy Water's question, never had any issues without using one in 30,000 but I don't ride huge miles on a gravel roads either. IMO a decently large rear mud guard is much more useful and maybe a front fender extender. The best protection you can buy for the Versys IMO is crash bars. You're a lot more likely to drop the bike on it's side than smash the radiator with a large rock at high speed. 99% of motorcycles don't have them, even dedicated dirt bikes, and rad issues are rare. Most cars expose the lower part of the radiator under the bumper to road debris too and don't have issues either.
Ye the crash bars at first place and right after that protections for radiator :P all this because before Versys I was driving Burgman and he had hidden radiator
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by versys_rider View Post
To answer Heavy Water's question....
I BELIEVE that H2O2 would be hydrogen Peroxide. Isn't 'heavy water' H2O3?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 10:18 AM

For the price it's hard to beat the rain gutter guard.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 01:22 AM

When i got my bike, the rad fins were straight. Within a month of riding it, just roads and freeways, no gravel or off road, i discovered a few dings and bent fins. That, with fender extender bolted since day 1.

Plus, there were a few cases of punctured rads on versyses in my country, so i put one on almost immediately. Not an expensive accessory, considering the price of a brand new rad, imho. Plus if you think ready made ones are expensive, chicken coop grills, some bolts, nuts, zip ties, spacer tubes and washers arent really expensive, really.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I BELIEVE that H2O2 would be hydrogen Peroxide. Isn't 'heavy water' H2O3?
Also, heavy water is still H2O... Just with a different isotope of helium.

Had to do it...

To keep my post on topic, I have the touratech radiator guard. It looks gooooooood. Depends on how much you want to spend. You can make one that does just as good (or better) of a job than mine, for maybe a dollar!

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...aki-Versys-650
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nprecup View Post

Had to do it...

To keep my post on topic, I have the touratech radiator guard. It looks gooooooood. Depends on how much you want to spend. You can make one that does just as good (or better) of a job than mine, for maybe a dollar!

Not a chemist, but Helium eh?
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post
Not a chemist, but Helium eh?
Hahaha good catch! Correction: Hydrogen.

As you can see, I'm not a chemist either!
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nprecup View Post

Had to do it...

Nice one but expensive . I'm thinking of something cheaper, I talked a little private with fasteddiecopeman and I think I'll do something like he did.
for your reply

Btw I'm closer to hydrogen peroxide than to the heavy water
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode