Best GPS - your take - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Best GPS - your take

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to finally buy a GPS and do a bit of...adventuring this summer. Can anyone give me a good idea of a good brand/model thats not too expensive? I'm looking for one that I can add maps too, and hopefully has memory points storage and international map capabilities. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:21 PM

I installed a Magellan Crossover GPS on my Versys with universal GPS mount from Motowerk. I also wired a marine 12V lighter plug with a relay to power my GPS

I Had to use the Motowerk stand because my Tank Bag would interfere with a ram mount.

It's supposed to be Waterproof to IPX-4 level (not tested yet) and has a few hours of battery reserve (more than 6 hours so far).

The unit also have some built-in terrain maps for Hiking or riding trails

The display is good. The controls can be operated with riding gloves if they are fit.

I have no doubts in my mind that the TomTom rider or the Garmin Zumo are better unit but the Crossover was available at 95USD on Ebay

The down points are that the unit is out of production. I had a hard time connecting on to my computer with the USB cable. The software on the GPS is good but on the PC it's not very good. It doesn't have much POI at least not in my part of Canada and it's not very user friendly to add some.

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Givi Windshield and side case
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:00 PM

garmin 60csx

I run the garmin gpsmap 60csx. It has standard basemaps,marine maps and can be upgraded for topographic and City navigator as well. It is watrproof,Allows geocaching,Has electronic compass, Altitude and more. Great for Hiking,Biking,ATVING, And of course riding!! The only down side is it does not have Voice. It beeps for upcoming directions and such. I would love for one to do all that and voive-But havent found it yet. So 99.9% happy with the 60csx

2008 Versys
Muzzy Exhaust-race core!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgraded Kawi Windshield
Madstadd Bracket
Fiamm 132 db low note horn
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Osram Hyper 65 h7 lights

Kawi/Givi V35 Bags
Shad SH-29 Top Case
SW-Motech Quick release Brackets
Sw-Motech Alu-Rack
Garmin GPSMap 60csx

Joe Rocket Manta Tankbag-Red
Kawi Tank Protector

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:25 PM

I have a Garmin 765T, which practically has every feature available on the market. It's mounted on a Motowerk Mount with Bags-Connection GPS case/bag.

(very crappy picture)
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 07:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Garmin Zumo 450. Designed specifically for a motorcycle, and has yet to let me down. I also got it on sale @ Amazon for $330 last year.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 08:31 AM

I use a Garmin 2720. Great features, waterproof, large screen, and cheap (Got mine for less than $100)

Made a mount for it for under my windscreen (not a Versys)

The only problem is that it does not have an internal battery so it needs to be hardwired to the bike and you can't use it off of the bike (it does have an AC adapter so you can setup your trip at home before you leave).
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:44 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
Haven't put a GPS yet on the Versys, but I had a Garmin Quest on the FZ and Z1000. I had the powered mount, which is very convienient, and you could upload routes to it via software. The Quest 2 has full maps loaded on the unit; my regular Quest needed to have the maps, waypoints and routes uploaded before it could be used. Also has a battery life of about 8 hours, so you can use it off the bike as well. Good units, not flashy and perform well...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replys! I'm looking into prices and used ones now, however I'm gonna stick with one that can be used off the bike and mostly battery powered. I don't want to fiddle with hooking it up to the bike until next season, no time for camping/long rides this summer. If anyone has an old one that would do the trick and you want to sell used, PM me and we can talk!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 06:21 PM

I use a Garmin Nuvi 360 mounted in one of these.

I'm a cheap bastard, I bought the gps at a pawn shop for $150.

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 01:42 AM

I'm using a tomtom rider 2 because it's cheaper than the garmin zumo550, I think I'd rather have the garmin although the tomtom works fine...
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 11:46 AM

I've got a TomTom Rider 2, easy to use. It has bluetooth etc, but I just look at the directions haven't fitted the headset that came with it.

Machog

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 12:12 PM

garmin gpsmap 60csx
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 12:24 PM

If you spend the money the Garmin Zumo 660 is top notch. Weather proof, includes two mounts. Connects to your cell phone, and has its own MP3 player. Transmits in stereo bluetooth with priority so that music cuts for phone and directions. It also inlcudes a car mount and travel case so it can easily go vehicle to vehicle. Not cheap but built for riders and top notch. I found it at Best Buy for $800 Canadian. Other cost issue is that encourages you to buy a stereo Bluetooth helmet set like the Chatterbox or Collett.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 10:00 AM

I like my Zumo 550

I had a Zumo 550 for my other bike and bought another motorcycle mount and power card from Amazon for $77. No ram mounts, just drilled and tapped the handle bar cap for the Garmin mount. There are newer, flashier GPS's for bikes now, but the Zumo was pretty well thought out and is logical and easy to operate while moving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6130011.JPG (75.7 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg P6130012.JPG (78.8 KB, 369 views)
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 05:11 PM

Bob in FL I would like to see your windscreen it looks like that is way better than stock. Let us know how you did that mod.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 07:35 PM

Yep, the Zumo 550 works great, I've downloaded more detailed Topo maps, and enjoy the MP3 player, and the cell phone capabilities. I've tested it in the rain, no worries!

regards, Bob
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 08:16 AM

+1 for the Zumo. Very rugged and designed to work for motorcycles. The interface is possibly the only one that can be meaningfully used while wearing gloves. I wish it were easier to switch between fastest and shortest routes, but it is still the best motorcycle GPS I have used.

Speedy's GPS/accessory mount is the best mount I have seen. Super simple installation, clean lines, and perfect positioning.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

I have the Zumo 660. It is great, but right now its buggy as all get out. So if you want a great GPS, but don't mind dealing with some bugs I would get it. Garmin will eventually get it squared away, but it's going to take another 6 months. Check out zumoforums.com for more GPS info.

Oh and AMA members get 20% off Garmin products.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 10:48 AM

If you have money to burn the Zumo is a great GPS. Or you could buy a Nuvi 760 and it will do everything a Zumo will do at 3-4 times less the price. Just buy a cover like Xooom for rainy days

Zumo 660 $800

Zumo 550 $655

Nuvi 760 $189

fitz
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 03:14 PM

I've never understood why the bike specific GPS units cost so much more.
I've had no problems with my old Nuvi 200. I just put it away if it starts raining hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode