Shortened side stand - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Shortened side stand

I have noticed that the V stands rather upright.... Hence the fall over my bike had a while ago (thats another story)

I was wondering if anyone has reduced the length of the side stand, and if so how many "mm's" (inches??) did you remove?

Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:18 AM

This is strange. It doesn't seem like my bike stands too much upright. I would be scared of shortening the stand because it could topple over to the port side rather than starboard. Are you sure you're not parking on an incline?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:22 AM

It is pretty upright on it's stand. I'm just careful about where I park it. The only time it was ever an issue was when I was parked on grass and tried to use a 2X4 under the stand to prevent sinking. That didn't work, had to find something else.

I agree with Charly, I think it might lean too far the other way if you shave it. But I'm no engineer.

07 Versys - Ebony

Last edited by hugerider; 06-09-2009 at 10:24 AM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 12:01 PM

My other two bikes lean quite a bit more than my V giving the bikes a lot more to work with for slopes. The V stands much too upright, I'm always having to adjust it when I park to make sure it's not going to tip over.

fitz
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 12:54 PM

I took off 1.5 inches because I lowered the bike with links. However, I agree that the stock bike was too upright and would have lowered the stand by 3/4 inch without the links. It is very easy to cut off the stand with a dremel, but you'll need to buy a flat foot to bolt on after cutting it off and you'll need to account for whatever added length the flat foot adds back on.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:09 PM

It is a very upright position when parked. I have to make sure that the ground is level or that the kickstand is on the downhill slope. It it is an uphill slope, it is not stable.

I always pull the kickstand down, then I give it a tug OUTWARD with my foot to make it a less upright stance.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:33 PM

This is really odd because my Versys leans over just as much as my other bikes on the side stand.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 02:11 PM

So does mine.....
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 02:50 PM

Wish it had a center stand.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 08:56 PM

You don't have to shorten the kickstand.
Instead, you can use the standard flatfoot.
It looks good, works well, and provides the extra stability and support needed, without being heavy or getting in the way like a center stand would. The added benefit of using the standard flatfoot is that it will adjust to the surface, if the surface is not level. The flatfoot will also not sink in the sand or grass.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-01-2018 at 11:13 AM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 07:26 AM

speedy's FatFoot is the only way to live easy 5 min. install and works GREAT, the mirror extenders are also well worth the bucks!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
So does mine.....

Yeah I am not sure I would want my bike leaning over any more than this. I checked them all this weekend and my Versys actually leans over more than all my other bikes. This is stock suspension and stock side stand.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
Yeah I am not sure I would want my bike leaning over any more than this. I checked them all this weekend and my Versys actually leans over more than all my other bikes. This is stock suspension and stock side stand.
Your bike leans plenty.

Odd my bike doesn't. From day one I've never been pleased with the kickstand, it always seems to want to kick back the other direction so easily. Any other bike I've had I've never given the kickstand much thought until I got the V. In my opinion it could have been engineered better.

fitz
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz View Post

Odd my bike doesn't. From day one I've never been pleased with the kickstand, it always seems to want to kick back the other direction so easily.
Mine doesn’t do that either, very odd..... For the most part the side stand on my Versys is the same as any other side stand I have operated. Makes me wonder if the 2008s were different?

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 10:02 PM

I think the stock stick is okay. How it leans depends how the the handlebars are positioned.

My only dislike is that that the stand foot print is too small. After fixing Speedy's flatfoot, my V have a sure footing.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode