Lowering the handlebars - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lowering the handlebars

Yesterday I took my kid on a two hour ride on the highway. I have to say the bike impressed me riding two up. The bike is more stable in the wind with the added weight (he's about 115 lbs.).

I dropped him off at his destination and returned home solo. The bike wanders on the highway a little more with just one person but I also noticed more wind. I assume that, with the kid on board, the back end of the bike sunk a bit and my head was lower in relation to the windscreen than when riding solo. I lowered my head a little on the ride back and it was a lot quieter. The only problem with that is it doesn't feel natural to ride hunched over for an extended period of time.

I have a Givi screen positioned as high as it will go on the Madstad bracket. I don't want a taller screen because, well, I think they're butt fugly. It occurred to me that the solution might be to get lower handlebars, almost straight across with no rise. I don't mind more of a sport bike riding position because I lean forward to go around corners anyway.

I searched past forums but couldn't find anything conclusive on lower bars. Any suggestions?

I guess the other solution is to find a 115 lb. weight to put on the back of the bike. Where's that hot blonde when I need her?

Last edited by charly; 06-07-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 11:57 AM

Your wandering on the highway is probably due to the crappy OEM tires.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 02:20 PM

Mine wandered horribly on the OEM rubber...Put on Pirelli Diablo Stradas and no more wandering.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 02:35 PM

you might want to fab a spoiler like on the vario...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 07:37 PM

Some info on other handlebars on V:
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35466

Good Luck.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode