Engine Guard? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Engine Guard?

Greetings,

I am a new Versys owner (green) and have been looking for an engine guard. I found this one http://www.happy-trail.com/Kawasaki%...e%20Guard.aspx and am wondering if anyone here has tried it. You can also get foot peds for it too.

Also, are engine guards better than the sliders I've seen posted here on other threads?

Thanks!

Last edited by Olah; 06-05-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 06:25 PM

IMO guards are better then sliders. I have the Hepco-Becker guards and like the fit and the way they follow the lines of the bike. I had the Happy-trails guards shipped to me by mistake, but they looked good too. The SW-Motech guards did nothing for me.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 06:59 PM

The Happy Trails guards and HB guards protect the radiator....the SW Motech guards protect the lower engine cases. Any of them are better than sliders.

My preference is SW Motech (from twistedthrottle.com).....

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 07:05 PM

Photo0006.jpgHepco & Becker looks great on the bike. Or at least I thinks so and solid.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 07:10 PM

Hepco and Becker for sure!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 07:33 PM

Olah.

HB. Guards give better protection but have seen HB with sliders attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0641.jpg (682.0 KB, 348 views)

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Wow, Thanks for all of the informative and timely feedback!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 11:02 PM

I've got the Happy Trails

They work OK, but I do have a gripe or two about them. For one, the bar on the engine guard passes directly beneath the oil drain plug. In order to drain the oil, I have to loosen the guard fittings on one side of the bike to pull the guard out of the way.

The bash plate does a good job of keeping dirt and rocks off of the lower engine and oil filter, but it isn't heavy enough to withstand a really strong impact, say from a protruding rock. Also, my fender extender sometimes snags the top of the guard plate -when that happens, it holds the forks in place and keeps them from turning easily. That can really be disconcerting when you're not expecting it. All that you have to do to dislodge it is to give the handlebars a good twist, but if you're underway, that might not be a good thing to do.
I'm going to add a curved plate to the top of the bash plate to keep the fender extender from snagging.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Update:

I went with the SW Motech engine guards and had my mechanic install them. I got the footpegs as well and they are great for all of the highway riding I do.

Two issues:

1. Now that the guards are installed, I notice that the handlebar vibrations are much more pronounced, especially at 60+ mph. Has anyone else noticed this?

2. There is very little clearance for my right foot to fit between the bottom of the crash bar and the brake. It works but I find myself having to feel for the brake peg.

Any thoughts or solutions?

Thanks!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olah View Post

Two issues:

1. Now that the guards are installed, I notice that the handlebar vibrations are much more pronounced, especially at 60+ mph. Has anyone else noticed this?

Actually, I think I noticed this too after I put the SW's on. Still love them tho..
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i had the opportunity to field test the sw motech guards-you made the right choice.

i noticed a very high frequency vibration in the bars quite a few miles after install. when i checked things over, i found a loose engine mount bolt on the left side that is used in common with the guards. had loctite blue and still loosened up. tightened everything up all the way around and no more vibes. 2 thousand miles later the vibes are back. this time it was the right side. tighten up-no vibes. something to check. maybe use loctite red.
Saw this video on line probably made the rounds all ready...

http://youtu.be/7bEDVpLvP_4
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 07:55 PM

I tried everything with my SW Motech but I can't do anything with the vibrations... now I installed my new Hepco&Becker engine guard and it's perfect... No vibrations and looks great, easy to install too.

it is what it is...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 PM

I have the SW Motech's on my 2011. Despite worrying about vibes after reading posts on the forum I gave them a shot. Not only was there no addition of vibration; I was also able to make them work with my evap cannister without more than a little plastic editing with my dremel. She definitely rides differently with the added weight down low, but I've gotten used to it. A bit more bottom heavy I guess.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 09:50 PM

This is what the Givi ones look like. I'm pretty happy with them, no vibrations to speak of (my luck that will change tomorrow!)

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 03:01 AM
VOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
I have the SW Motech's on my 2011. Despite worrying about vibes after reading posts on the forum I gave them a shot. Not only was there no addition of vibration; I was also able to make them work with my evap cannister without more than a little plastic editing with my dremel. She definitely rides differently with the added weight down low, but I've gotten used to it. A bit more bottom heavy I guess.

I notice you have a lanyard attached to your bike. Is this for an airbag jacket? I have a Hitair Motorad airbag jacket, looks like the same lanyard.

Voz

Sydney, Australia
2012 Kawasaki Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode