Crampbusters - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Crampbusters

Wondering if anyone knew if the crampbusters were actually effective or are they a waste of money. I currently commute about 80 miles round trip to work everyday. I've got a long ride scheduled for this weekend and would like to pick one up if they're worth it. Also anybody know of the correct size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:13 PM

Thumbs up

Here's the web site to answer the size questions and yes it does work...Good ridin to ya...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 04:13 AM

I would say they are 80-90% effective. They do help. I commute 75 miles a day as well.

Be careful when you first put it on. I had a tendency to get lazy with it in low speeds and at times was leaning on it. I'm used to it now, so it's not so much a problem. I've never ridden with one before so it took some getting used to for me. I do like it though no doubt.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 06:30 AM

I have one and after some adjustment I like it. THe key fro me was to have it low enough arround the grip not to interfear with letting off the throttle.

To God be the glory.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 09:07 AM

I found it pretty much useless for me. My wife, however, doesn't think she can live without one on each of her bikes.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 09:49 AM

I really like mine. It did take ad bit to get used to it, though - I often had to readjust it to not catch the palm of my hand while throttling off or stopped. Would't be without it now though.

David

I always come back from one of these trips with about 350 pictures of my bike - Ewan McGregor
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
On a trip to Alaska with a friend who had one on his Bandit: BE VERY CAREFUL when you try a low-speed turn to the right at full lock - the heel of your palm can contact it, resulting in power coming up and a CRASH!
He threw his into the woods after we got the bike upright (the SECOND time!!!) .
We both use Vista Cruise Universals (me - ALWAYS; him - NOW!)

Ed
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 12:27 PM

me too

I came off my bike about 5 minutes after fitting a crampbuster. Was trying to get used to it, when an emergency came up (late spotting of vehicle from the right). Next thing I knew I was on the floor - I suspect that I reached for the brake and the heel of my hand caught the crampbuster. Haven't dared use one since
Mike
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 01:04 PM

Have had one on all my bikes for a while. True that you need to get used to them but I would not ride more than 100 miles without one.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 02:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to schleppy
I have one and I like it a lot. I only have mine in the "active" position on the highway. When I get into the city I spin it around so as to avoid any incidents.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 07:14 PM

Have one in the bag all the time. Dont use it much in town but on long open roads it is worth it. True that you have to get used to them and get them in the postion you like best everyone is different. Easy on and off so not to much of a problem if you dont like.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 07:33 PM

I use it all the time, but I watched a friend dump his bike twice in the ditch by the driveway the first time he stuck it on. I got kinda tired of lifting it up.
I never had any trouble.

Make sure you get the crampbuster. The ones with the velcro attachment have never worked for me.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 07:39 PM

Tried it once before but didn't get used to it.
Installed the throttlemeister on my old bike but none product out for the Versys.

http://www.throttlemeister.com/app/i...list/list.html

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 08:46 PM

I didn't like it at first, then I figured out to just spin it down so that during normal riding it doesnt touch your hand at all.

Then when Im out on the highway and my hand starts to get a little cramped I slide my hand out to the bar end and use my thumb against the crampbuster for a little while. Then when my thumb starts to feel worn out, I switch back to holding the grip normally.

I didn't have to wreck even once to figure this out.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 08:04 AM

Hey stlee29, Kaoko makes a throttle lock for the V, $110.00 from Twisted Throttle or Happy-Trails.
I have the crampbuster on most of my bikes and like them alot. Tommy

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 06:29 PM

Thank you, Tommylikesbeer for the info.
I like you name and the following with beer,"Cheers" and "Bottoms Up".

Best Regards.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. I ended up buying one ($12) at Cycle Gear. Probably not the best deal but I wanted to try one out. I tested it out this weekend on a small ride from my house through the mountains and out to the desert, about 165 miles round trip. It worked good, I still think i need to adjust it just a little but I was pretty comfortable during the journey. I appreciate everyones feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode