Where to get great deals on tires? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Where to get great deals on tires?

Call me a sheep bey bey! I want some PR3s.

Where do you guys generally get your tires? Online or local?

Can you recommend a one stop shop to purchase and mount? Austin TX metro area preferred. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 02:22 PM

I mount my own but prior to that would pull wheels myself and take to a local independent shop for mounting. Dealers are usually the most expensive option and often won't do installs on tires you've purchased elsewhere but many will. Call and ask for wheels-on/wheels-off prices etc. CycleGear (if in your area) is another option. Again, prices won't be the lowest and you have to pull wheels but they do have some options for road hazard warranty if you want that sort of thing.

I generally buy online and check jakewilson.com, stores.sportbiketrackgear.com, www.tireexpress.com and a few others. Can always save a buck if I search forever but those three have been reliable regarding stock on hand, shipping right away, and fast delivery time via ground.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 02:24 PM

Best price for my last set of PR3 was off Amazon. Free shipping, no tax. I've got a bud who mounts them for me. I use Dynabeads for balancing. Every other set I give the bud a $50 Outback gift card... Which he is very reluctant to accept.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 09-04-2013 at 02:27 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 02:42 PM

I get mine from

https://www.americanmototire.com/

They have good prices and selection. I just bought a set of BT023 for $231 that I will mount this weekend.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 03:07 PM

I also mount my own tires ,I buy from Dennis kirk you can pay with bill me later. That option gives you 6 months to pay.(no minimum payments or interest) you might have to spend 199.00 so I usually buy 2 tires.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 03:08 PM

I've bought all of my tires off of Amazon. Always been the lowest price and fresh stock.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I usually get my tires from www.jakewilson.com But this last time with the GF's oldest son we were going to go with them again for tires for his GSXR-750 we got a price from them then called Riders Discount they matched the price and gave us a forum discount that made them by far the best price we were able to find. Ordered them at 2:00pm and they were delivered before Noon the next day. Great Price and they are sponsors of our forum..

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 09:51 PM

PR3 Rear only

I have a rear only that was bought and mounted new earlier this year.
I purchased the bike and wanted to change over to a set of black wheels
that I owned with different tires already mounted.

The PR3 has 362 miles on it and I do plan to sell rather hold it until I wear out
the set currently mounted.

So, if interested send email as it is the best way to reach me.
Will sell shipped to Austin from here in Arizona for $110.00
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I know the OP is in Texas but if anyone is reading this thread from Canada, I've found Pete's super bike in Montreal is the cheapest. They have a flat rate shipping charge of $20 so it is cheapest to buy 2 tires at a time. Michelin Pilot Road 3's were $137 for the front and $167 for the rear.

http://www.petes-superbike.com

Last edited by twowheels; 09-04-2013 at 10:24 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 10:52 AM

I wouldn't necessarily write off the dealers entirely. All three in my town (excepting the H-D shop, which I understandably didn't check) weren't too far above "regular" online pricing. I ended up ordering from the Triumph dealer. They charged me $20 per wheel to mount and balance, but I'll eat that to not do it myself and to support a brick-and-mortar establishment

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I've used (and been happy with...) http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ when I'm in AZ, and have discovered I can get pretty much the same prices in Canada at www.canadasmotorcycle.ca .

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 11:52 AM

Garage
If you do not mount yourself I would deffinatly talk to your dealer/local shop. I get all my tires from my local indy shop. He will order them from Parts unlimited and have them the next day. His cost is slightly more than online dealers but no shipping. I bring in my wheels and pick up later that day. He charges 15-20 a wheel if I byy from him. Definatly makes it cheaper than a online shop then getting them mounted.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I would mount yourself. All that is required are a bead breaker (recommend Stop and Go) and 3 tire spoons. Dyna beads are $2 a tire. The first tire is a pain but after that there is more time and effort involved in taking wheel to shop than swapping tires yourself. There are lots of good how to vids on YouTube.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 06:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
Where do you guys generally get your tires? Online or local?
I would say that the most significant issue is whether you will mount them or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80-watt Hamster View Post
I ended up ordering from the Triumph dealer.
Although I have no local dealer I used to travel to a place with several dealers for work. I stopped by the nearby Triumph dealer and bought a front tire for my Versys - I really needed one - and then got home and found out that I got a pretty good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The first tire is a pain but after that there is more time and effort involved in taking wheel to shop than swapping tires yourself.
I think that changing tires is a pain unless you do it more regularly than I do. If it is once a year or less frequent, then there will always be some amount of frustration when changing tires. Perhaps it is only me and I have not been doing this long enough. I still curse at the process after several times through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
Every other set I give the bud a $50 Outback gift card... Which he is very reluctant to accept.
You have a very nice friend there.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
I would say that the most significant issue is whether you will mount them or not.
I think that changing tires is a pain unless you do it more regularly than I do. If it is once a year or less frequent, then there will always be some amount of frustration when changing tires. Perhaps it is only me and I have not been doing this long enough. I still curse at the process after several times through it....
One of the BEST pieces of advice I ever got regarding changing tires, is to WARM them BOTH (leave them in the sun) prior to starting. This spring (FIRST time I used that advice -) my set of Metzler Tourance tires (SECOND set I have installed) were probably the easiest tires I've EVER installed , while a 'cold' set of ContiMotions I installed a year or so ago were the TOUGHEST!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 05:57 PM

I have bought several sets from Chaparral Motorsports and have been happy with the price and shipping time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode