Fairing Rivets - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bones

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fairing Rivets

Anyone besides me losing the button-top Allen bolts that attach the painted plastic side panels to the tank? I've lost two -- the forward ones on each side. Not a huge deal but I'm certain it's not from failing to turn them tightly. Blue loc-tite this time around.

If anyone else has lost them, you need P/N 92153-0478 (M6x18 bolt). The associated washer is P/N 92200-1388.
Amr likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

Last edited by Bones; 06-02-2009 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Include Washer P/N
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 02:20 PM

No, but i've stripped one up by headlight trying to get it back in straight. Now it's threaded all wrong and stuck halfway in. Not happy.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 03:02 PM

Blue Loc-tite does the trick. Hmmm - I need to check mine and make sure they are still there.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 04:16 PM

Wonder if blue locktite on the bolts would help with the buzz? Worth a try.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 04:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
You may want to re-think Locktite Get any on plastic and it may lead to numerous spider cracks, Don't ask how I know this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
the buzz is in the speedo. try applying pressure on the speedo when the buzzing is at it's greatest and see if it reduces the buzzing.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 06:27 AM

I lost one of the screws within twenty miles the day I picked my bike up. The other one in the front of the panel on the other side was loose too. No problems since though.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
I solved the buzz with some rubber washers and weather stripping, but I started to hear some vibration on my ride last weekend. That's how I noticed the missing bolt, because the plastic panel vibrates around 4000 RPM when the forward bolt is missing.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

Last edited by Bones; 06-02-2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: typo
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 03:00 PM

least its not a drain plug bolt

Working to make it my Streetfighter
V
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 08:11 PM

Maybe all the above with a spring washer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (1.8 KB, 386 views)

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedges View Post
the buzz is in the speedo. try applying pressure on the speedo when the buzzing is at it's greatest and see if it reduces the buzzing.
yea, I noticed the same thing. I had replaced the plastic rivets on the front dash with screws and it got worse, so I put the plastic rivets back in and it got better....next time I have the dash off I'm gonna stick a piece of foam in there to quell the buzz.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomla View Post
yea, I noticed the same thing. I had replaced the plastic rivets on the front dash with screws and it got worse, so I put the plastic rivets back in and it got better....next time I have the dash off I'm gonna stick a piece of foam in there to quell the buzz.
I replaced the rivets on each side of the speedo with bolts when I weatherstripped the front cowlings. If you do this, put neoprene washers on both sides of the dash mounting tabs to help isolate the vibrations....I have no buzz from the speedo now.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedges View Post
The Speedo is just one place that you can get a buzz. I replaced the speedo rivets with bolts and nylon lock nuts. I also put neoprene washers between the speedo and the mount.

The fairings can buzz pretty bad, but there are tons of good solutions for that.

I have also lost several of the screws in the fairings. What really sucks is loosing the screws that have collars. Kawasaki gets a pretty penny for screws, collars and washers.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_asheville View Post
No, but i've stripped one up by headlight trying to get it back in straight. Now it's threaded all wrong and stuck halfway in. Not happy.
Used a taper and put sealing tape round the allen bolt. Had the same problem as you.

I did lose one of the dashboard plastic rivet. for the replacement suggestions.

IMHO, putting a spring washer prevents the allen bolts from popping out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 180px-Gjengetape.jpg (5.7 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg 180px-Tap_and_T-wrench.jpg (2.7 KB, 77 views)

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Last edited by stlee29; 06-03-2009 at 07:21 AM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 09:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to Stafman
Ditto to "versysred" about getting blue loctite on at least two of the plastic side covers. The plastic around the hole that comes into contact with the loctite WILL crumble. If I cannot apply the loctite to the hole then I will probably use silcone sealant as a friction reducer from this day forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode