Finishedthe seat mods - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Finishedthe seat mods

After experimenting for a couple of weeks with different foam combos, I finished up the seat this morning. I ended up cutting away most of the original foam from the riders part of the seat. I put several layers of ensolite sleeping bag pad on the bottom, next to the pan, and then covered the whole thing with high density memory foam. The difference is amazing - it's like riding on air and there is no more sliding forward when standing on the brakes. The best tip that I found was the one about using velcro instead of staples to secure the fabric to the seat pan. I have to admit that I was skeptical about the ability of the velcro to hold the fabric without slipping, but the stuff sticks really well. I used the industrial strength velcro - it's a lot stronger. I had some on hand - a 4' x 2" strip. I cut the strip in half so that the pieces that I used were 1" in width. One on the pan and the matching piece on the fabric, then stretch the fabric tightly into place. Piece of cake!
I owe a great big thanks to whoever it was that first suggested the velcro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 07:50 PM

VEE......your seat does look good !!......could u share with us where u got your memory foam ??......thanks.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Getting the foam

There is a retail outlet near Asheville, NC called Foam and Fabric Outlet that sells all sorts of foam and upholstery materials. They had 2ft. x 2ft. blocks of the memory foam for about $12 a block. The blocks are two inches in thickness. The stuff is surprisingly heavy - I didn't expect that.
I hadn't planned on doing the rear part of the seat, but having seen how easy it was to do the front, I think that I will do it too.

Edit, May 25: I went back and added some stitching to the velcro today. It hadn't slipped, but I got to thinking about the coming hot weather and the possibility that the hook and loop might start moving when it gets hot. I just popped the cover back off and used a needle and some heavy duty polyester thread to secure the velcro to the seat fabric. That should hold it even when the temps start getting unbearable. As far as the ability of the hook and loop itself holding, I think that it will be OK. That is some seriously strong stuff.

Last edited by VeeWNC; 05-25-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode