Taking my seat in. What should I ask? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Taking my seat in. What should I ask?

I am finally biting the bullet, and taking my seat in to be reshaped. I have not done this before, and want to make sure I give them the proper info, and hopefully wind up with a much more comfy seat.

Frankly, I don't know what sort of end product I am aiming for. Do I want it flat? ramped up in front? dished out? Cut down or raised up? I hope the shop will have some good suggestions, and have an idea of what will work best.

In the mean time, any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:59 AM

A lot of seat guys add a gel pad to the seat. I would recommend against this, first in hot weather the gel heats up and stays 'hot' for hours, even if you have a dead sheep on it. Second where the gel meets the foam, there is often a ridge that will cut into the back of your legs.

I've found the firmer foam works much better for long trips, it takes a bit to break in but in the long run best bet.

Avoid a seat that doesn't have enough room for the family jewels or tips you forward towards the tank.

If seat is flat all the way (like a KLR), gives you the opportunity to slide backwards.

BUT, my recommendation is to try an Airhawk or similar brand. It easily transfers from bike to bike, costs much less than a custom seat. Just by lifting one cheek, you relieve pressure points instantly.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/AIRHAWK-AIR...4417_10111.jcw

Only negative it does raise your seat height a tad.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Maybe I'm just being a wussy pants, and should man up and try Shed.Head's yoga mat idea. The air pillow looks like a good idea as well.

If i do take it in, thanks for the tip about the gel insert. Makes perfect sense.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 11:51 AM

Hey Red Herring , I hope your talking to Tommy's Upholstery there the best guys in town to talk to about seats.

Working to make it my Streetfighter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
V
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 11:53 AM

I had a car upholstery shop lower the back about 3/4 of an inch, raise the front about 1/2 an inch, and contour the rest of the foam to allow a gel pad without raising the height of the seat. It is now very comfortable, where the stock seat was terrible after about an hour. Total cost $137 dollars.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xprovince View Post
Hey Red Herring , I hope your talking to Tommy's Upholstery there the best guys in town to talk to about seats.
Thanks. I phoned around and heard Styles downtown had a good guy.

Have you had yours done?

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by max buffet View Post
I had a car upholstery shop lower the back about 3/4 of an inch, raise the front about 1/2 an inch, and contour the rest of the foam to allow a gel pad without raising the height of the seat. It is now very comfortable, where the stock seat was terrible after about an hour. Total cost $137 dollars.
Ya gotta like that!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 12:21 PM

Easy to fix on your own

It cost me about $12, and I'm happy as can be with the seat now. The $12 was for a square of high density memory foam, and I got enough to do at least two seats - maybe 3. I like the DIY approach, and it's hard to argue with the cost. Neil of Asheville did his and after trying it for fit, I had to give it a try. It took all of maybe 40 minutes, with most of that being spent putting the staples back in after adding the foam. I put layers of ensolite sleeping bag foam beneath the seat foam (the seat foam is very loosely held in place with spots of adhesive and can easily be peeled off.) The ensolite gave it the general shape that I wanted. I then put the original seat foam back over the ensolite and cut out a rectangular hole when the butt bones hit. I filled that with the memory foam. All that was left was re-stapling the seat fabric back in place. My stapler wasn't too well suited to the job, so it took longer than it would have if I'd been using a better quality stapler.
I'm going to go back in and put a larger piece of memory foam into the seat and raise the front even higher. It's so easy to do that it's possible to experiment with different foams and placement. I want to use Velcro to attach the seat fabric to the pan instead of staples the next time.

This is a shot of the modified seat - not a great one, but you can see the different angle of the seating position. When I go back in, I'll add memory foam all the way across the top, rather than just beneath the butt bones. That will raise the front a bit higher - that's something that I noticed about Neil's modification that I really liked. I talked to an upholstery shop that told me that they'd securely sew a band of extra seat fabric around the border of the existing fabric for me for about $20. That would give me more room to add the extra foam and still be able to easily attach the fabric to the seat pan.
Before the modification, 100 miles of riding would leave me sore, but now, 250 is a piece of cake. Can't wait to get the additional foam in - that'll make the really high mileage possible.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:11 PM

not yet but about 6 people who have has there seats done there and are very happy with the work and comfort

Working to make it my Streetfighter
V
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xprovince View Post
not yet but about 6 people who have has there seats done there and are very happy with the work and comfort

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 08:52 AM

I had mine redone with gel (just the front section) and couldn't be happier. I use it for longer solo trips and have another stock one for me and momma.

I had the passenger section cut back so it gave me more room to move around instead being in a bucket. The shop installed the gel up in the front to protect my nads and increased the overall height about 3/4" per my request. I had it covered in a carbon fiber style finish.

As far as hot weather, it's only been in the 80's here so I haven't noticed a tendency for the gel to feel warmer.

Dan
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 09:56 AM

That is exactly what I'm looking for. Who did it, how much, how long? I would send it from the west coast just to have it done that way!

Bob

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 12:39 PM

Bob,

A local shop that does golf cart & m/c seats did mine. Since I'm not sure about naming businesses without advertisement sponsorship, just PM me for details.

The cost is $255 to reform the passenger hump, remove the drivers stock foam and insert the gel and reapply the stock cover. The carbon look material is an extra $115.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode