Jc Whitney trunk - What a deal! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Jc Whitney trunk - What a deal!

I've not yet ordered one but heard how great they were from another rider and decided to give it a look.

Looks very similar to a Givi
Small $65
Large $85
Comes with Universal mounting bracket (which I bet will be the cause of much discussion)

But for that price, I'll rig that baby on there.

Anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/MATTE-BLACK...4603_10111.jcw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 10:51 PM

I have 1 of both. They work very good for what they are, and the mounting hardware works great. The red plastic around the case comes out with 3 screws and you can paint it to match your bike or just paint it silver. There is a code you can imput and get the trunk for about $20 less, but you will have find it on the ADV site and follow the instructions exactly. Also the latch on the smaller one is much better than the larger one. You can shim the big one between the mount and the bottom of the trunk to tighten it up.

Mike
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 07:53 AM

I have the smaller one as well......it seems to be a good value for what I paid for it, but it's not quite deep enough to hold my large EXO-400 helmet.

FYI, according to reports on ADV, the code for getting the larger one for $50 is dead....

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
I have the smaller one as well......it seems to be a good value for what I paid for it, but it's not quite deep enough to hold my large EXO-400 helmet.

FYI, according to reports on ADV, the code for getting the larger one for $50 is dead....

This is why I went with the larger one for the helmet. But the small one is great for in town. Mike
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 10:08 AM

I have the large one. I took the red plastic moulding off and painted it hammered metal, and while I was ordering, stuck some small LED's on the lower portion to light it up. I kept the mounting plate, but hard mounted the trunk to the Givi rack already on the bike. I think the mounting plate that comes with the top case is kinda cheesy, wobbly, and rattles. If I want it off, I can take a few bolts down. No big one for me.

It's not a Givi, but a really good lower price choice.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 10:50 AM

Anyone have pics of these mounted on their Versys?
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 11:21 AM

I've had the smaller one on my KLR for quite a while with a lot of dirt road miles and it's held up great. Had a Givi on my old KLR and it was nicer but not worth the $$$ difference to me.
Dan
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 11:42 AM

I had one on a previous bike and the mounting hardware went rusty. But the box itself was fine.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 11:50 AM

I have a large one.

It is exactly the same as the GIVI E360 right down to the mold marks. Even mounts on the GIVI rack. I know because I have 2 GIVI E360s that I paid $200 each for.

I picked mine up from the return bin at the JCWhitney warehouse. It was $12.00.

I'm going to get the small one next time I go thru there. The Small ones were $8.00.

Every one that I or my friends have gotten have been complete and undamaged even tho they are in the return bin. Aperantly, UPS beats up the box a little and customers don't accept the shipment.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 02:48 PM

I got the big JC Whitney on my Wee-Strom and it works great.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 03:56 PM

I have the small one. Its great, no problems. Had it on my DR650 then moved it to the Versys after selling the Suzuki. Paid $68.00 shipped to the house. The mounting rack is well built, easy to install. I received to mounting racks so I could change the case to either bike while I had them both. We now have 2 Versys, Red 08 & Green 09. Lowered both and need to lower seat more for wife but she likes it better then her F650GS.
Right now we just finished a week in North Georgia riding the Twisties!!

Keep the sticky side down!!
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 03:58 PM

I have two of them. My son uses one on his Ninja 250 for school and I have one on my Versys that I ran on my CBR for a while. It has about 2 years of commuting on it (IE opening and closing the latch everyday) and to be honest its about time to toss it in the garbage. While the box itself is great the locking mechanism which holds it shut and holds it to the mounting plate is very cheesy. At full price I wouldn’t by another one when you can get a givi E46jr for about $135. If you can get one for the discounted price and your willing to deal with the cheesiness of the lock then it’s a great deal. To be honest I have worried about the thing falling off the bike since it was first mounted. In fact it did pop off once while I was washing the bike. Its just not that sturdy.

On the other hand I have a Givi E46 and a 450 Flow that have 30k miles on them and they were used and abused for camping trips and they are as robust as the day they came out of the box. I recently found myself needing a top box for my wife’s BMW and I opted for a Givi E46jr. Its just way more stout and will last forever in my opinion. When it comes to the JCW topcase it is what it is and it’s a ok box for the money.

Here is a pic of the JCW topcase with the red part painted silver (the red will turn pink in one summer).

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 04:03 PM

Here ya go, in red!

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 06:13 PM

i love these pics but it looks like that these are the big cases. Does anyone have a pic with the small one. I would really appreciate it. Thank you
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensionera_gmp View Post
i love these pics but it looks like that these are the big cases. Does anyone have a pic with the small one. I would really appreciate it. Thank you
Yes I do !

Just picked it up from the return bin at the JCWhitney Outlet store!

It was $8.00 !

Best $8.00 I've spent. It mounted more solidly than the large case. The mount looks better to.

Here it is.

post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 09:33 PM

You will always want a bigger case, keep that in mind if you plan to buy the little one.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 08:03 AM

Where did you get those Hi Viz Yellow stripes you have in the last picture on the back of the top cases? Those look really effective and functional.

Gordon
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 05:54 PM

$8. That's worth it. At $65 plus shipping I'd just as soon spend the extra money for a better case. But $8. Wow. You are fortunate to live by the JCWhitney outlet. Are you willing to consider moonlighting as a motorcyle luggage re-seller?

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonM View Post
Where did you get those Hi Viz Yellow stripes you have in the last picture on the back of the top cases? Those look really effective and functional.

Gordon
I bought them at a national BMW rally. Bought a vest for my wife too. They reflect like the sun at night.

http://www.visionvests.com/products/...tourshield.htm
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potus2012 View Post
$8. That's worth it. At $65 plus shipping I'd just as soon spend the extra money for a better case. But $8. Wow. You are fortunate to live by the JCWhitney outlet. Are you willing to consider moonlighting as a motorcyle luggage re-seller?
Actualy, I live 143 miles away. one way. I spent a bit on gas getting there and back. lol.

As far as the JCWhitney prices just google JCWhitney promo code and you get all kinds of savings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode