Alternative to AirHawk - Star Cushion Freedom Air - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to andyhewitt3 Send a message via Skype™ to andyhewitt3
Alternative to AirHawk - Star Cushion Freedom Air

In my never ending search for reasonably priced butt relief, I came accros this http://www.longeride.com/. Its the first I've ever heard of it and I don't think its been mentioned on this forum, so I thought I'd mention it. From what I gather, its about the same or maybe a little cheaper than an Airhawk, but it looks to be better thought out than an airhawk. If anyone happens to have any experience with it, please comment. I just got a Thermarest seat cushion that I'm gonna try and see how much good it does. Will report back on that later.

updated link above.

Last edited by andyhewitt3; 06-30-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 06:26 AM

I could not find anything on that site with a price. It does look pretty comfy, but I wonder how much it would raise you up?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 06:30 AM

Never tried the star cushion, mainly because I'm cheap.

I did put in a backpacking air pillow in my seat, rather than on top, and it has been a dream come true for me after trying a decent amount of solutions.

The only downside to the air pillow is that it won't stay exactly where you want it day after day. I like just a tiny bit of air and I've read on forums that those that use the air hawk say the same thing, just a slight bit of air is best.

Since my air pillow has the valve just barely sticking out of the left part of the seat cover, and since more air eventually gets into the pillow somehow, I just sit on the seat, release the air until no more comes out, and then close the valve. That tiny bit of air that didn't come out works great.

Having a cushion in the seat rather than on top means that no one sees it, no one will steal it when you make pit stops along a trip, and you could cut out foam to make space for the cushion so it does not add height to the seat.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 10:45 AM

I gotta tell you guys, these wheel chair pads do not stand up to excessive heat and UV. They just fall apart. More of an indoor product. I do not have any experience with this particular pad, but in work experience they just aren't robust enough for motorcycle stuff.

I am having great luck with the REI stadium seat velcro to the seat.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
Never tried the star cushion, mainly because I'm cheap.

I did put in a backpacking air pillow in my seat, rather than on top, and it has been a dream come true for me after trying a decent amount of solutions.

The only downside to the air pillow is that it won't stay exactly where you want it day after day. I like just a tiny bit of air and I've read on forums that those that use the air hawk say the same thing, just a slight bit of air is best.

Since my air pillow has the valve just barely sticking out of the left part of the seat cover, and since more air eventually gets into the pillow somehow, I just sit on the seat, release the air until no more comes out, and then close the valve. That tiny bit of air that didn't come out works great.

Having a cushion in the seat rather than on top means that no one sees it, no one will steal it when you make pit stops along a trip, and you could cut out foam to make space for the cushion so it does not add height to the seat.
atgatt, have any pics of that ? It sounds like it might be what I'm looking for in a seat mod.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetzel View Post
atgatt, have any pics of that ? It sounds like it might be what I'm looking for in a seat mod.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ght=air+pillow

I've since put a few staples where the valve sticks out so it is barely noticeable.

There is a way to leave the valve entirely inside the seat by leaving the valve open, secure the right size diameter hose to attach to the valve via a hose clamp or tie wrap, run the hose right through a hole in the bottom of the seat and have a spring loaded clasp at the part of the hose that sticks out. But, I'm way happy how it is now so I'll just leave it.

Now you'll be able to make the seat hard or soft in just a few seconds. No more being stuck with only one option, a seat that does not change when you want it to.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
The only downside to the air pillow is that it won't stay exactly where you want it day after day. .

Maybe you could try combining double-sided carpet tape and Gorilla Tape, which is basically duct tape on steroids.

Place the double sided carpet tape between two strips of Gorilla Tape with sticky side facing out, effectively creating double sided Gorilla Tape. Then put these in between the air cushion and the seat cushion. I'm a cheapo.

shed.head
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 09:28 AM

shed-head, I don't follow you. No tape could stop air entering the pillow unless it went in the pillow which it can't do. The taut elastic seat cover does not keep the air from entering either.

It could be that the valve only lasts so long for keeping the air out for days and now it just lets more air in now.

When I get my V back from the shop (since it seems to have a fuel pump problem), I have an idea of what I can try on the air pillow to keep it more stable. I'll let you know if it works.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 09:36 AM

Heya ATGATT,

I was referring to the problem you were having with your REI camping pillow sliding around. I was brainstorming for a remedy The gorilla tape is MUCH sturdier than double sided carpet tape, but the double sided carpet tape should hold the non-sticky sides of the gorilla tape together, effectively creating double sided gorilla tape. Slap it between the air pillow and the seat cushion and it might keep it still for you.

I haven't tried it....just a thought...
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 11:46 AM

shed.head, sorry about the misunderstanding; now I see what mean.

Regarding the sliding around, there is no problem with that. It stays right in place.

Next time I'm at the hardware store though, I'm going to check out Gorilla Tape just to see what it's like for other uses where duct tape does not seem to last long. I've found better glues than Gorilla glue. A glue called E6000 that has a cure time of 24 hours is much better.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 03:41 PM

Chicken Little -- why do you say that wheelchair cushions fall apart in the heat, and are affected by UV? Just so happens that we've been leading the industry for over 35 years, with people using our products extensively outdoors in Arizona, Texas, Central Australia, etc. without any problems. I've ridden mine for over 10 years, and not 1 problem.

Second response to this thread -- while a Thermarest type cushion is better than being on foam or gel, there are other issues to consider. A single bladder container does not distribute pressure very well -- individual air cells do a much better job; computer pressure mapping proves this out. A single membrane cushion doesn't do much for moisture prevention either. Moisture, combined with pressure will ruin your day. Having independent air cells allows the cushion to conform to your shape MUCH better, allowing your tissue to remain unchanged.

Sorry to sound like a commercial, but I have to defend my product
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard, Airhawk! Any chance in getting a Versys version?

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 04:30 PM

I gotta question for you AirHawk. I was looking at prices, and it looked like your product for truckers is bigger yet less price then your products for bikers? Just curious if that's the case, and if so, how come?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 04:57 PM

Airhawk, I'm pretty sure Chicken Little was referring to the Star Cushion in the original post which is a wheelchair pad, not your product.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

In my original post above I said I'd tell how my thermarest camp pad did so here goes....
I used the Thermarest camp pad on a 600 mile round trip to the outer banks back in may and it made a world of difference. I simply put it on the seat and secured it with a bungee net. The net wasn't the best thing to be sitting on but it wasn't unbearable. The air cushion was quite comfy though with only a little air in it. It negated the forward slide of the stock seat and allowed me to shift my weight around a little bit to ease pressure points. Good fix for the money.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 06:20 PM

atgatt/andyhewitt3 - so which way are y'all placing this on the seat? With the 14 inches going from the tank to the back of the seat? Or with the 14 inches going across the seat, side to side?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrappieKiller View Post
atgatt/andyhewitt3 - so which way are y'all placing this on the seat? With the 14 inches going from the tank to the back of the seat? Or with the 14 inches going across the seat, side to side?
I'm sittin here tryin to remember how I had it on there and I believe I had it lengthwise from front to back. I think I had the valve sticking out under my left thigh. I haven't used it since that trip in may but if I go on a long ride again I'll throw it on there.

Just experiment with different positions and different amounts of air in it and you'll find a good "setting."

as a side note, I bought a 2008 Bandit 3 weeks ago so I have neglected little red since then to be honest.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudduck View Post
I could not find anything on that site with a price. It does look pretty comfy, but I wonder how much it would raise you up?
I finally found some prices by following the online store link. They are proud of those puppies! How does $178.00 sound? Looks like a good product but I couldn't part with that much coin without some kind of 30 day test ride or something. That is a lot of Anti Monkey Butt powder.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 05:34 PM

anti-chafing porduct

I use Body-Glide anti chafing stuff on my butt and nether-parts. Really eliminates a lot of the discomfort from the versys seat, especially in the summertime. Still looking for the ideal seat solution though. Damnit Kawasaki!!!
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 10:31 PM

I use an airhawk. Dont remember the size but it fits like custom made. Best accessory you can buy. It more than tripple saddle time for me. Only recomendation is to add one more strap in the middle. Sometimes the edge on the sides rub on the leg. Fix that and it will be perfect. Got it for $40 less than msrp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode