stock seat modifications - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
stock seat modifications

Ok, i love this bike as a whole, but thought the seat angle caused me to slide forward in the tank a bit, so i took a piece of 3/16 th aluminum plate, made a pattern off the stock front seat bracket, sandwiched in under the original,using the stock bolts, only other modification is i had to used a grinder and trim the thickness of the front mount on the seat, to make it fit, that's it, seat goes right on as before, but puts a slight bow in it now, pushing me back like i wanted, the seat pan has plenty of flex so this was no big deal...... Oh, and put a pair of foam grip covers on, felt the grips were a little narrow, that's it for now, but more to come!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0882.jpg (679.9 KB, 2302 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0883.jpg (702.6 KB, 4338 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0884.jpg (696.2 KB, 2932 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0885.jpg (713.0 KB, 2028 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Thats pretty smart. It doesn't look like it causes too much distortion with the seat to frame clearance either. Nice mod!

Not a big fan of the way the grip covers look, but when your riding, you can't see them anyway. Besides, its all about comfort!!

post #3 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 09:54 PM

Interesting mod - seat is definitely the next thing on my list...after about 10 miles I get a bad pain at the very back of my but - almost on my tail bone. I'm going to try this out, although I think I'm going to have to add foam, too. But we'll see.

I found a couple of good links on seats and foam, if anyone else is interested in that route - guess we might as well have them under the 'stock seat modifications' thread, too.

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php

http://www.rickmayercycle.com/foam.html

Corey

post #4 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 06:07 PM

Smile Seat Mod

I too made a similar modification to the front of my seat to raise it up. I actually went up 1" to level out the seat to make it a more comfortable ride. I think that the front part of the seat is not supported by the tongue though, but by two small sections on either side of the tongue. I added 1" of material here also, to support the seat. It does make it a little more difficult to latch the seat closed, but my butt thanks me every time.
post #5 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 08:02 PM

thats really cool, i should have thought of that.... i guess you went to college. I was just thinkin about what icould do with that the other day, and also, has anyone ever tried those gel pads that you can put or have put in the seat?
post #6 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

gel padsa are nice, but they will hold heat if they sit in the sun for too long, a good option is to use a airhwk cushion on top of your seat, works way better than gel
post #7 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:24 PM

Well I went a different route. I resculpted my seat and added some harder foam. It works very well for me now. I did not take any construction pics but i do have an after pic.

I peeled the front section of the seat cover back by removing the staples. I then cutout the section from the back to the front that I wanted to redo. I went to walmart and got one of those blue foam mats for under your sleeping bag when camping, the harder the foam the better, that was about 1" thick. While I was there I got a memory foam pillow that went from 4"-6" thick. I cut the hard blue foam to shape and used spray glue to hold it in the area I had cut out. I then cut the memory foam to shape with the 4" section to the back making a slope backwards. This ended up too high so I split the memory foam in half so it is now 2" in back and 4" in front. I spray glued this onto the blue foam. I then took my rotary sander and shaped it as close as I could to the original shape. Mostly just rounded the edges off real well so it would blend in. I pulled the cover back over and stapled it back in. I raised my seat by 2" which is about right for me and really helped out with the monkey butt I would get quickly on the stocker and I don't slide forward unless I want to. It cost me about $23 bucks and maybe an hours time to do it. I have never done this before so it really is easy.

Life is tough. Life is tougher if you are stupid.

Work in Progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

post #9 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 04:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I fixed my seat as soon as I got the Versys without taking the cover off. I stuffed a few feet of 6" wide insulation foam roll as used for flooring underlay, in through seat base's two vent holes to add support where needed. Nothing shows and the seat is now comfortable.
I like your aluminum plate mod, tsunamichop007... Seat base is also the battery hold-down, if you've noticed the small black foam block underneath. You might need a thicker battery hold-down now.

Last edited by invader; 05-29-2008 at 04:23 AM.
post #10 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:45 PM

I'm gonna give Baddone's memory foam mod a try. I need a little more seat height, and I need to get rid of that annoying forward sloping seat. Once that's done I will be 110% satisfied with my V ride!
post #11 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 12:17 PM

I like the foam used but I don't like the forward slant. I'm going to shave the foam down in back a bit to make it flatter and see what that does.

You all give good ideas. Thanks.
post #12 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanesplitter View Post
I'm gonna give Baddone's memory foam mod a try. I need a little more seat height, and I need to get rid of that annoying forward sloping seat. Once that's done I will be 110% satisfied with my V ride!
The memory foam will give you the heighth but not the support you need. It compresses to eaisly. I tried memory foam only first and it was not what I needed. You need a harder foam under the memory foam for comfort.

Work in Progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddone View Post
The memory foam will give you the heighth but not the support you need. It compresses to eaisly. I tried memory foam only first and it was not what I needed. You need a harder foam under the memory foam for comfort.
Thanks for the heads-up.
post #14 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 09:25 PM

Yesterday I modified my seat to make it flatter. Made the mistake of buying a 4 1/2 inch grinder to do the job like sites said to do. It is too hard to use for the delicate job. I screwed up at one point using it because the grinder caught too much foam too fast and jerked upward right into my peeled back seat cover putting a small rip in it.

I ended up doing most the job with the various rough files I had which was much easier to work with. So far it feels good to ride and tomorrow I have to do a 4 hour ride and I'll see if it really helped.
post #15 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 11:10 AM

I like this idea! Looks real professional.

Couple of questions: Did you use the original seat material to recover the seat or did you have to replace it? What did you use to reattach the seat covers? Finally, what grit of sand paper did you use on your rotary sander. I'm thinking something fine grit.
post #16 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 03:44 PM

I did the same thing ATGATT. I was using my orbital sander and not paying attention and zip a nice little hole in my cover. Oh well I put some tape on the inside and called it my signature.

Work in Progress

post #17 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post

Couple of questions: Did you use the original seat material to recover the seat or did you have to replace it? What did you use to reattach the seat covers? Finally, what grit of sand paper did you use on your rotary sander. I'm thinking something fine grit.
Yes its the original seat cover. Just remove staples and the stretch it back over and staple it back. I used 60 grit in my sander as a finer grit clogs to eaisly and takes too long. Use caution and a light hand when sanding with a powered sander it does not take much pressure at all to remove the foam.

Work in Progress

post #18 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post

Like others have said, just use the same seat cover. It stretches nice.

I have an air staple gun but you can use the cheaper electric ones too, I think. Just use short staples.

Again, if I were to do it again, I'd stay away from the rotary sander and just use hand files. They do a much more even job and you won't tear your cover or take off too much foam due to an error.

I just got back from putting on 500 miles since the seat mod and it is much nicer. No more being pushed to the front of the seat. Well worth it even though I tore a small section. Such is life.
post #19 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 07:02 AM

Thanks for the answers and help. I may be giving this a try soon.
post #20 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:47 PM

Another thing I should mention that found made a big difference sitting on long rides and it's.....wear casual pants, the inseams are much smoother. Wearing jeans is like sitting on a rope because they have such bulky seams. I tried the Diamond cut jeans and they still were not good. Good ol' casual pants under my mesh riding pants was the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode